• Management working taking place in Car Park on Thursday 1 September

On Thursday 1 September we will be doing the first of our annual cuts to the car park islands. We will be closing sections of the car park so that we can work safely. Sections will be closed using hazard tap and cones so please take notice of this when entering and moving around the car park. Please park around the outer edges of the car park and not around the inner islands where possible.
    The islands have…
  • Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 12.08.2022

The hot weather is continuing throughout the UK. It's making some work quite difficult for staff and volunteers in such hot conditions but we are doing what we can. As I've mentioned before visitor numbers have dropped off quite significantly with people opting to stay out of the sun or perhaps hit the beaches. I think it's a similar story at many visitor attractions at the moment.

The wildlife has to cope…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall 05.08.2022

Wow! Into August already - time really does fly. It won't be long before we begin the seasons reed cutting - starting with the area in front of the first viewing platform (VP1). Got a few teething problems with the machine to sort out first plus I'm likely to have around two weeks off over the school holidays too - so it might be slow progress to start with. 

It will certainly open the area back up again as we…

• Advanced Warning: Temporary Car Park Closure - 22 August

On Monday 22 August we are resurfacing the entire car park at Ham Wall.

This means that the whole car park, toilets, Info Point and take-away refreshments will be closed and there will be no access to the car park or the Mini Marshes, so that we can all work safely with large machinery and we can ensure we have clear access to all the areas that need work.

This resurfacing work is weather dependant so may need to be…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 29.07.2022

Much the same story as the last couple of weeks really. Hot, dry weather, no real rain to speak of and fairly quiet on the reserve in terms of birds - much of this to be expected at this time of year of course. It might mean just a little more patience is required when searching out some of our star birds. 

Bitterns are still being seen - maybe not quite in the numbers seen just a few weeks ago, where you'd just turn up…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 22.07.,2022

Some very hot days earlier in the week led to some very quiet days on the reserve in terms of visitors. Those that did visit were desperately seeking some shade. I did venture out on Monday for a short period but spent Tuesday catching up with some office tasks and having a bit of a sort out in our workshop. 

Thankfully it cooled off slightly for Wednesday and Thursday  and this morning, finally, a decent drop of rain …

• Recent Sightings from RSPB Ham Wall - 15.07.2022

There seems to be no end to the hot and dry weather at the moment. Not surprisingly, visitor numbers have been very low over the last couple of weeks. It's also traditionally a quiet time for bird life throughout July and August as temperatures rise and breeding season comes to a close, with many birds in a moult stage.

Some parent birds are still busy such as a whitethroat - still active at the first viewing platform…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 07.07.2022

I'm off work tomorrow (Friday 8th) so I'm writing this a day early this week - lets hope I don't miss anything too spectacular. Although things in terms of bird life are quietening down a bit (as is quite traditional at this time of year) there is still plenty of weird and wonderful things going on at the reserve at the moment.

I'll start with more of a weird thing. This character was spotted on the Avalon…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 01.07.2022

Another week has flown by here at Ham Wall and there's a general feeing that, for many birds, the breeding season is just about at an end. Most of the great white egret nests have now fledged - a very successful season with around 75 chicks recorded across the Avalon Marshes reserves with 14 of these birds ringed by the team. Look out for the red rings with white lettering on the legs of birds when you visit the local…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 24.06.2022

A similar week to last week, with some very hot days keeping wildlife a little quieter and visitors away too - although the thought of hitting Glastonbury Festival traffic has probably put people off too.

Bitterns are still showing well in some places, with VP1 and the Avalon Hide once again hotspots. Young birds (2 or 3) have been seen again yesterday standing in the reeds in front of the Avalon Hide with another bird…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 17.06.2022

It's been a hot week at Ham Wall - not surprisingly a drop in activity in the middle of the day when the temperatures are so high. 

All the usual suspects are there though - hungry mouths are still demanding food. Bitterns are still being seen from all over the reserve, with the first viewing platform (VP1) one of the best places. Some of the flights from around the site are a little more random, perhaps suggesting…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 10.06.2022

I hope you all enjoyed your long weekend last week to celebrate The Queen's Jubilee - and if that's not your thing I hope you managed to escape it all and get out and enjoy some wildlife. 

At Ham Wall, it' s bitterns and marsh harriers that are stealing the show at the moment - although there is of course a whole host of wonderful wildlife to enjoy. 

The first viewing platform (VP1) is a great place to start…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall 27.05.2022

"I've never seen so many bitterns", is a comment we've heard several times from visitors over the past couple of weeks. Females have certainly ramped up the feeding flights and spending just a short time at the first viewing platform (VP1) can bring rewards. We believe there are 2 nests quite close together with both females flying south over the main track to feed in Waltons and beyond. 

I guess we shouldn…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 20.05.2022

We've actually had a fair bit of rain in the past week or so - for the most part it's been overnight which is good while we are working outside. It will however add a bit of a growth spurt to all the lush vegetation around the reserve - we will go our best to keep all the paths and benches etc clear and cut the best we can.

You will probably have noticed the extra growth in front of the first viewing platform…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 13.05.2022

A big increase in bittern activity this week with large numbers of flights being recorded at several locations. This suggests that females are now out and feeding youngsters at nests. A good number of flights from the first viewing platform (VP1) in particular. I was at the second viewing platform (VP2) yesterday lunchtime and witnessed 2 birds in a long chase to the north - so this kind of behaviour is still being seen…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 06.05.2022

It's a fantastic time of year to be out watching wildlife and Ham Wall has continued to offer a brilliant spectacle this week. This, combined with wonderful weather, has made for some very happy and impressed visitors. We aim to please.

One of the stars of the show is the glossy ibis - or should I say 7 of them. They have been seen regularly from the first viewing platform (VP1) in varying numbers and have been quite…

• Respectful enjoyment of wildlife spectacles at Ham Wall

There is always plenty to see at RSPB Ham Wall and this time of year is no exception with the breeding season well under way and this new life starting to thrive. Unfortunately, it has come to our attention that a small number of visitors have been causing disturbance across the site, to both the wildlife and other visitors, through their behaviour.

You can help by:

• Keeping to the paths. Please don’t go rummaging through…
  • Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 29.04.2022

Well, there's a lot to catch up on after 2 weeks without a blog. Easter weekend saw several glossy ibis turn up on the reserve with up to 7 being spotted together. 2 weeks on and they are still around the area - spending a lot of time from the first viewing platform (VP1). We are all waiting excitedly to see if any breeding takes place within the Avalon Marshes.

VP1 certainly seems the place to be at the moment. Good…

• Guest blog: Update on the great white egrets of the Avalon Marshes

This week, while usual blogger Steve enjoys a day off, we welcome back guest blogger Alison Morgan, volunteer coordinator for the Avalon Marshes New Colonists Group. You can read Alison's previous blogs on the project from 2019 and 2021.  I'll add in a few recent sightings at the end of the blog - it's been an exciting week!  In the meantime, over to Alison:

Great White Egrets of the Avalon Marshes

The egrets…

• Recent sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 08.04.2022

Well, it certainly feels as like spring has stalled a little this week - colder weather, showers and even a little snow at the weekend. Any migrant birds hitting our shores for their spring/summer break must be wondering why they bothered. This shot was taken late last week by Robin Morrison of a great crested grebe caught in a snow shower. Thanks Robin:

Some slightly warmer looking grebes now - the first taking a sensible…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 01.04.2022

Well, I certainly picked the right week to have off work last week. The warm weather has pushed that feeling of spring right to the front and the reserves wildlife is responding. More butterflies are being spotted - I've had four species on the reserve so far: peacock, small tortoiseshell, brimstone and comma all enjoying the early flowering plants such as celandine after a winter of hibernation. Thanks to Mike Pearce…

• Recent Sightings from RSPB Ham Wall - 18.03.2022

A much warmer week this week in general (if we forget the horrible deluge of rain all day on Wednesday).  The warmer weather has definitely triggered more wildlife into action and there is a definite feel of spring. Many trees are beginning to green or show buds and flowers are beginning to appear such as celandine and of course snowdrops and daffodils. 

Asa more flowers emerge so too will the insect life. There's a good…

• Recent sightings and news from RSPB Ham Wall - 04.03.2022

It's the first blog for 3 weeks - apologies for the delay but as you may imagine the recent storms have caused a few problems around the reserve and these have taken priority. We have had several wind blown trees around the reserve, with Loxtons perhaps the worst hit area. 

We had this trail closed down for a few days as it was inaccessible. Staff and volunteers have been working really hard across the reserve to get…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 11.02.2022

Quite frosty this morning but generally it's still pretty mild. With Valentines day on the horizon many of the reserves birds certainly have love on their minds. An increase in bird song can be heard during sunny spells. Song thrush in particular have been far more vocal this week and great tits too can be heard  - perhaps staking out a claim to territories. 

Other birds have already moved onto the next stages with…

• Recent Sightings from RSPB Ham Wall - 04.02.2022

Another week has flown by in the blink of an eye - I've been very busy this week with some other staff members away or poorly. At times I don't feel I have time to look up and see what wonderful wildlife is around. Although just a few minutes of downtime a day on the reserve is enough though to get a flavour of what's happening and there are plenty of wonderful volunteers and visitors who feed back to me too.…