The colder weather has continued this week with a thin layer of ice now formed over many parts of the reserve. Groups of birds have started to gather together in tighter bunches as space on the water becomes reduced. A group of around 20 coot were standing proud on the ice on the way to the Avalon Hide today, whilst the family of around 8 mute swans were far too heavy but were happily taking short swims around and keeping some of the area open. 

This coot shot was taken earlier in the week from the Tor View Hide by Sandie Andrews running on water rather than ice though. Thanks Sandie: 

There are a few coot out there and as I mention last week a pair of gadwall were mugging coots of there food after diving. This has continued to happen and John Crispin's first shot shows a gadwall with it's plunder. The second shot shows it's lovely plumage - especially the scapulars. Thanks John:

You may have noticed more cut areas of reed in the last week or so. The amphibious reed cutters (Truxors) have been busy creating areas of interest close to hides and screens as well as clearing channels which have become overgrown. They have also tidied the edges of the islands in front of the first viewing platform (VP1) and really opened the area up.

We have run a pump (as I promised last week) and water levels here have risen. My colleagues will do more pumping will happen next (I'm away so no blog next week I'm afraid) so you should see even more changes.

The lapwing seem to enjoy this area with varying numbers each day with around 800 recorded at one point. They are often spooked by passing marsh harriers or other birds of prey to add some action to the wonderful noise they produce when present. 

Yesterday 2 ruff were spotted here and a few black tailed godwits have joined them on a couple of occasions. Small groups of snipe are also present but they are pretty hard to spot unless disturbed. Thanks to Sandie Andrews who took this snipe shot close to the Avalon Hide this week:

Whilst John Crispin took shots of this individual on the cut areas in Waltons. Thanks John:

Also from VP1 look out for growing numbers of wigeon and teal (quite a big influx this week with over 500 counted on the north side of the reserve) and from the visits of little egret, great white egret and grey heron. Although you can actually see better views of the latter two along the main drain more often than not. Thanks to Mike Pearce for his great white egret shot and to Sandie Andrews and John Crispin for sending in their grey heron photos:

The cut areas of reed has also attracted birds such as water pipit (seen from VP1) and both pied and grey wagtails (on the way to the Avalon Hide). This pied wagtail was seen flitting short distances to feed in front of the Tor View Hide this week and snapped by Sandie Andrews - thanks Sandie:

Stonechats have also been spotted in the cut areas or perching high on reed stems. This lovely male specimen was photographed sunning itself by the Tor View Hide this week by Sandie Andrews. Thanks Sandie:

The second viewing platform (VP2) has had good numbers of both teal and wigeon throughout the week along with great white egrets, Canada Goose, coot and moorhen as well as this Egyptian goose photographed by John Crispin - it could be a first year bird. Thanks John:

Marsh harriers frequent both viewing platform areas quite regularly as well as the Avalon Hide.:

Thanks to Sandie Andrews for her shots of a female from interesting angles and for her third shot of a bird diving. It was flying over when it suddenly changed direction after something had caught it's eye and whoosh! it was dropping down:

Other birds of prey spotted this week include a tawny owl heard calling from the car park, sparrowhawk seen from the Avalon Hide & over the car park, buzzards and kestrel.

This kestrel has been spending a good amount of time around the dead alder tree on the way to the Avalon Hide or on the larger trees opposite on the other side of the main drain. Thanks to Mike Pearce for sending in his shot:

Of course a good time to see birds of prey is at starling roost time. Either in the evening or at morning take off. Many birds, particularly marsh harriers, will quarter over the roost after "lift off" to pick up dead or struggling starlings for an easy meal. 

The birds have moved around a little bit this week, having been either side of VP1 they have since been using Loxtons and a large group has also been out to the north of the reserve distant from VP2 so they have been giving people the run around a bit. 

Remember to check out all the trees at the car park and on the way into the reserve. As many as 4 bullfinches were reported on Wednesday this week along with a firecrest, whilst goldcrests and chiffchaff have been seen and heard along the main track too. Fieldfares, song thrushes and blackbirds have all been seen enjoying berries on the car park bushes and trees this week. Thanks to Sandie Andrews for her lovely photos. The blackbird was seen to flick its head up and toss the berry in the air before catching it. Fascinating behaviour:

Great source of food for these birds at this time of year as it gets colder. Not sure what this roe deer is doing. Certainly having a good sniff - good enough to eat? It was spotted on the footpath between VP1 and VP2 this week. Sandie Andrews was on the opposite side of the drain and so the deer allowed her to watch for some 20 mins before moving off. Thanks for the photo Sandie:

Also this week: ravens seen flying over, green woodpecker heard calling in the woodlands, great spotted woodpeckers seen daily, redwings seen in flight, a muntjac deer can along side the drain opposite VP1 on Saturday (3rd), jays seen and heard calling, kingfisher from VP1 & within Waltons, American wigeon still over on Shapwick Heath I believe and this mute swan having a good old bath. From the look of it it almost looks joyful. See also it's changing plumage  - moving out of its juvenile markings. Thanks to John Crispin for his photos:

That's it for this week. As I mentioned I'm away next week, so no blog. I will however do my best to squeeze on more in before the Christmas break. Thanks for reading and have a great weekend.