It's good to be back after a week off but it was straight back into work and a very busy week. We've had an RSPB film crew in for a couple of days, mainly focussing on reed cutting work to get some footage for future use. 

Progress has been a little slower than I would have liked with the reed cutting this week - just have 2 islands to go in front of the first viewing platform (VP1). Then we can start getting some water back into this area and creating some real interest for wildlife. It was well used by the glossy ibis last year and I hope some will return this winter and perhaps stay on to breed next time round. There has been one reported from Noah's Hide over on Shapwick Heath this week. 

I mentioned in my last blog that things seemed pretty quiet out there on the reserve (although there's always something of interest). Perhaps the milder weather is slowing down the movement of birds slightly. I have however seen more groups of fieldfare and redwing this week, with a group of around 50 fieldfare flying over Waltons yesterday morning and around 25 over the Avalon Marshes Centre this morning. 

There has also been an increase in wigeon and teal on the reserve and there were quite a few wigeon over on Shapwick Heath in front of the tower hide this week (and a report of an American wigeon this morning). Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of male and female wigeon in flight taken at Ham Wall this week:

Numbers of snipe seem to have increased slightly too with groups of 6-8 being seen in flight and several being spotted on the ground - particulaerly in newly cut areas such as the ends of the island at Waltons 3rd screen or in front of the Tor View Hide. Sandie Andrews, who has sent me her photo of snipe in the early morning sun, has reminded me that the collective noun for snipe is a wisp which I think is rather nice. She also said it could be a walk. I think perhaps that wisp is in the air and walk is when they are grounded but I'm not certain - just a guess. Thanks Sandie and also to John Crispin for his 2 shots: 

Other waders are being seen - try the second viewing platform (VP2) or the willow blinds on the path across the main drain. The torrential downpour we had on Monday has brought water levels up slightly so the a little less mud showing than before but c60 lapwing have been recorded as well as c30 black tailed godwits.

Thanks to Sandie Andrews for her shot of black tailed godwits taken on Saturday (22nd):

Starling numbers are also up with estimates now of around 20,000 birds roosting in the Waltons section each night. When temperatures finally drop I would expect this figure to rise rapidly throughout November. 

Birds of prey are often in more abundance at certain times of day like when starlings are coming into roost or at the morning take off. A sparrowhawk has been seen showing an interest in the mornings on a couple of occasions this week. One flew over me whilst reed cutting yesterday (would have been visible from VP1). John Crispin managed these lovely shots of an individual this week - he believes it is a juvenile bird. Thanks John:

Marsh harriers can also be seen around starling time - they often quarter of the reedbeds afterwards to pick off any dead or struggling birds for an easy breakfast. 3 or 4 different birds are being seen regularly at the moment. Thanks to Mike Pearce for his shots of a male over Waltons and a female from the Avalon hide taken this week:

Barn owls are known to feed on starlings too - we often find remains of birds in the owl boxes when we clean them out - and the mess that appears in the Avalon Hide backs this up too. 

Buzzards are seen pretty much daily too - this individual photographed by Mike Pearce had just been in a tussle with a marsh harrier prior to the photo of it perching in the tree - perhaps just hiding out for a while. Thanks Mike: 

I've also had several sightings of kestrel this week - always great to see - one flew right over VP1 on Wednesday with further sightings at the Avalon Hide, VP2 and the car park.

Last of the summer migrants are still passing through (in small numbers). Swallow and house martin were both spotted this week by visitors. Also 6 swift (thought to be pallid) were reported on bird guides this week - no further reports have come our way. 

The mild weather has meant that insect life is surviving a little longer. Dragonflies are still being spotted with migrant hawker and common darter the most common along with ruddy darter. Also 2 or even 3 reports of emperor dragonfly this week, including a photograph of a female by one visitor (male also seen). Quite late I would think. 

Thanks to Mike Pearce for his shots of both migrant hawker (showing a little wear on his wings) and common darter taken this week:

This morning along the main path, the ivy was buzzing with life including wasps, hoverflies and red admiral butterflies. It's a great late nectar source and this south facing aspect really makes a great little micro climate for insects. Thanks to Mike Pearce for his red admiral shot taken this week:

There are 2 active wasps nest in the car park area still  (this is why the bench has been taped off by the pond) and Sandie Andrews photographed this nest of hornets using a old great spotted woodpecker nest hole as its home. Apparently also known as a bike of hornets - thanks Sandie:

Great spotted woodpeckers can be seen on most days and I have heard green woodpecker calling from the car park on a couple of occasions this week. Sandie Andrews took this record shot of two together - more unusual for this time of year:

Perhaps the most unusual visitor this week has been a whooper swan over at Loxtons in front of the screen (it was still there at lunchtime today). It has been reported as a Bewicks swan but in consultation with some birders with greater knowledge than I - the consensus was that it is a whooper swan. Happy to be corrected but from the bill colour and pattern and the orangey head staining - that's what we come up with. Take a look and see what you think. It spends a lot of it's time upending and feeding. Thanks to John Crispin and Mike Pearce for their shots:

Plenty of our regular mute swans around the reserve - the main drain seems to host 10 or more in one group. Thanks to Sandie Andrews for her shot of a swan family - originally with seven cygnets - still have 5 surviving. Also a lovely close up of a mute swan feeding:

Bittern have been seen on a few occasions this week but they have definitely reverted to the usual secretive behaviour after the hustle and bustle of breeding season. They have had a good breeding season so there is always a chance of a sighting. 

It's hard to miss some of their cousins though. Great white egrets also had a great breeding season and it's hard not to see one on a visit. Despite the low water levels at VP1 due to the reed cutting management, one individual does frequent this area. VP2 perhaps gives you more chance (sometimes several birds can be seen here) or the Avalon Hide. Thanks to David Jackson who sent in his great white egret shot from his recent visit to the Avalon Hide:

Cattle egrets can be seen locally - I'm seeing groups of 50-100 on my way in to work and there were a few in the field next to the car park last weekend. Total in the local roost is thought to be over 300 currently. 

Little egrets of course shouldn't be forgotten - often the hardest one to track down at Ham Wall but VP2 or the Avalon Hide your best bet. Thanks to Sandie Andrews for her shot taken last Saturday (22nd):

While you're on your hunt look out for the increasing numbers of duck. Apart from wigeon and teal numbers of pochard and tufted duck are growing slowly to add to shoveler mallard and gadwall. If you ever get a chance to see them close up, take a good look at the males plumage - often underrated I think. Thanks again to Sandie Andrews, this time for her shot of 2 pairs of gadwall in flight, taken today:

Great crested grebes are still present around the Waltons area as too are little grebe. Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of a first year grebe in the western half of Waltons:

Worth looking at the cut areas in Waltons. Apart from snipe, water rail can often be seen near the Tor View Hide and teal along with other ducks often loaf and rest on the safety of the islands. This grey heron was making use of the front island yesterday (thanks to Mike Pearce for his photo) whilst the second shot shows a fellow grey heron out basking in the sun - perhaps to get rid of any unwanted parasites (thanks to John Crispin for this photo):

I find watching the behaviour of birds fascinating sometimes. Even if the "star" species aren't playing it's great to watch how those more regular birds go about their business. Like watching herons patiently hunt on the sides of drains or the pied wagtail who has been using the artificial sand martin bank at VP1 to perch on and hunt for insects (thanks to John Crispin for the photo):

Or this magpie perching on the backs of cows this morning (thanks to Sandie Andrews):

Watching the stonechats follow mw around as I reed cut in my machine. Perching up on the tops of reed with their distinctive tail flicking - always makes me smile (thanks to John Crispin for his shot of a female):

or perhaps the less gracious crash landing of a Canada Goose - thanks to Sandie Andrews for this action shot:

There's always something new to see or learn - that's why I love working here.

Also this week: look out for redpolls along the main track (just a couple seen this week but numbers are likely to grow), bullfinch seen at the car park, ravens seen and heard flying over on a few occasions, jays are still pretty active and as noisy as ever, greylag geese seen flying over in small groups, bearded tits seen near the Avalon Hide and small groups of roe deer spotted to the north of the reserve from the Avalon Hide.

Think I better stop there or I will never get home for the weekend. Thanks for reading and have a brilliant weekend, whatever you do.