Time seems to be zipping away recently. We are well into September and autumn is well and truly here - although the warm weather this week may suggest otherwise. There will be some colder spells ahead I'm sure and a drop of rain wouldn't go amiss with some low water levels in a couple of places on the reserve. 

It has added some interest though with a few waders being spotted from the second viewing platform (VP2). We have had far fewer visitors in this week due to the ongoing roadworks saga along the Ashcott Road. Plans have changed on a couple of occasions already and today it looks as though it has changed again. They have finished the stretch towards Ashcott and in front of the car park today I think and were due to move towards Meare. As far as I understand they will now stop completely for a short period as an unforeseen issue has occurred, meaning we should be accessible from both directions - but please don't quote me on this. 

I've spent a day this week at Westhay with my reed cutting machine doing some work for Somerset Wildlife Trust - nice to get out and do some work on another one of the Avalon Marshes wonderful reserves. Plus I'm off to RSPB Greylake on Monday for 3 days working in their reedbed. I then might actually get back to working in front of the first viewing platform (VP1) at Ham Wall - it's been slow progress, but once I'm back things will soon motor on.

Things are therefore still quite dry and open at VP1 but there is a regular great white egret spending time out there, although greater numbers seem to be at VP2 where more mud is showing. There was a group of around 40 lapwing there on Wednesday and a green sandpiper was also present as I drove past. There were at least 5 great white egrets here too although they seem to be all over the place at the moment. 

This one was photographed by Mike Pearce from VP1 this week. Thanks Mike:

Thanks also to Alastair Swinnerton who captured these shots on Monday from the Tor View Hide:

....and this one from the Avalon Hide. Thanks Alastair: 

I also received this interesting shot from Jeremy Wright. It looks like the egret is preening but doing its best flamingo impression at the same time. Thanks Jeremy: 

One has also been sat alongside the drain by the main path. There were 2 this morning with one actually on the path itself. I got very close to the one by the drain - I walked past it just a few  feet away and it just watched me walk by. The heron, who has also frequented this area recently was more flighty and moved off. Alastair Swinnerton took this shot of it on Monday - thanks Alastair:

The main path is also a good place for insect life - look out especially in the ivy - it's a great late nectar source. On Wednesday I walked past an ivy clad tree and there was a tremendous buzz of insects: hoverflies, wasps and bumblebees. Butterflies like them too - particularly red admirals which will feed on them for some weeks yet - it's south facing and sheltered along the main path so stays a little warmer. 

Some other butterflies have been seen this week including the odd clouded yellow, along with green veined white, peacock and good numbers of speckled wood. Thanks to Giles Morris for his shots taken late last week:

A few dragonflies are also on the wing still. The most likely suspects this late in the season are migrant hawker, ruddy darter and common darter. Thanks again to Giles Morris for his migrant hawker and common darter shots:

A really interesting photo came from Sandie Andrews this week. She saw this hornet munching its way through the head of a migrant hawker - certainly something I've never seen (hope this doesn't put you off your tea). Thanks Sandie:

There is plenty of other insect life to see if you look hard enough. Giles Morris took shots of two moths late last week. A rush veneer and a rusty dot pearl. Both are migrants and the rush veneer has been seen in quite high numbers this autumn. Thanks Giles:

There's quite an autumnal feel about a lot of the photos this week - the next two in particular more so than most. Thanks again to Sandie Andrews for her autumn feel photos:

It's this time of year when bearded tits tend to gather in larger groups. I saw a group of around 20 on Tuesday morning at the first gate that leads to the reed beds on the footpath from the road (opposite side of the drain to the main track). There have been a few reports at this location recently, including during the canoe safari events we held over the last 3 weekends. The first of the annual bearded tit surveys took place on Thursday - aiming to establish a population count. Results to come soon. 

One did visit the car park ponds on Tuesday and stayed for some 4 hours calling for his friends for some time. It eventually flew off. Luckily Sandie Andrews was on hand to capture these lovely shots. Thanks Sandie: 

Kingfishers were also spotted quite regularly during the canoe events, with one perching on an empty boat whilst staff waited for the next group. Good locations include the old rail bridge, VP1 or the Waltons area but I also saw on from the Avalon Hide this morning. Thanks to Jeremy Wright who took this shot last week:

There's something about a kingfisher sighting which always brightens up the day. 

Another bird I love seeing is the great crested grebe (particularly in spring with their courtship rituals). Some on the reserve still have young with them - perhaps a second or late brood. These were photographed by Sandie Andrews this week from the Loxtons screen. She also sent in a shot of a young little grebe too from the same location. Both youngsters are still showing some of their stripes. Thanks Sandie: 

Along the main track you can still hear a few chiffchaff calling although I haven't heard a willow warbler singing this week it doesn't mean there's not still one or two around. Although they are a longer distance migrant, so they will disappear soon. Some chiffchaff and blackcaps will of course overwinter - there's a good chance you will see them in your gardens. This blackcap was snapped along the main track by Alastair Swinnerton on Monday. Thanks Alastair: 

Look out also for goldfinches, treecreeper, bullfinch, blackbird, robin, song thrush and mixed tit flocks, including gangs of long tailed tits following the tree lines. Thanks to Sandie Andrews for her shot taken on this week:

Also this week: roe deer seen along the footpath, male sparrowhawk sat on the gate in front of the Avalon Hide for 15 minutes on Tuesday, a fly past by a barn owl on the same morning, a raven flying over the reserve last Sunday as well as a low flying hobby just a few feet over the water, great spotted woodpeckers seen daily, a few marsh harrier sightings throughout the week, buzzards seen daily, a water rail seen from the Avalon Hide on Tuesday and this pair of stonechats snapped by Mike Pearce this week - they are a sure sign that autumn is here for me and they will stay well into the new year. Thanks Mike: 

Finally....

Our Walks with Wardens: Bearded Tit Bonanza is coming up on Friday 14 October from 9 am – 12 pm.

I’ll be leading the walk which is one of only three chances a year to get behind the scenes on parts of the reserve not normally open to visitors.  The autumn migration will be in full swing, so who knows what might turn up. October is also great time of year to catch up with the delightful bearded tit. With exclusive access to parts of the reserve normally closed to visitors, we’ll be able to absorb the sights and sounds of the reedbed looking out for bearded tits and other wildlife as we go and learn more about the varied reserve management work that goes on behind the scenes. Tickets are £40.50 for RSPB Members and £50.50 for non-RSPB Members (booking fee included in price). For more information about this walk and to book your place visit this link: https://events.rspb.org.uk/events/20690   

There are also several other events planned for this autumn and winter from guided walks like “What the Duck” to Family Trail at Halloween. To see what other events we have on visit: https://events.rspb.org.uk/hamwall

That's it for this week. Thanks for reading and have a fabulous weekend!