The best sighting of the week has to be the 2 glossy ibis. Seen daily but sometimes briefly for several days. Today, however they seemed more settled, spending quite a bit of time in front of the first viewing platform (VP1) this morning amongst the Canada geese. They then got in amongst the lapwings before they all took off and circled around for a minute or so. They then settled again on the cut island in Waltons in front of the last of the 3 screens looking west. 

The light was lovely and showed up their colours to the delight of several visitors. No photos currently I'm afraid although I'm sure I'll receive some ready for next week's blog. Check out twitter - a few good photos being posted. Let's hope they decide to stick around.

Large numbers of lapwing have been in and around the reserve over the course of the week. VP1 and Waltons and the Avalon Hide good places to see them. Probably in excess of 1000 at times. Many just of the reserve too beyond the course of the River Brue in the fields there - I think they call these "The Wastes" but I'm not 100% sure. 

Some are settled quite close to viewing areas at times and take a careful look for snipe settled in and around them too - well camouflaged against the cut reed stems. Waltons screen 3, the Tor View Hide and the Avalon Hide have hidden snipe for you to discover. Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of a mix of lapwing and snipe taken this week:

Also from the Tor View Hide yesterday (and from Waltons screens 1 and 2) were great crested grebes. The pair at Tor View Hide were seen mating this week and yesterday there was a third bird which kept coming into the pairs territory - I'm guessing another male judging by the reaction. Several aggressive poses, several chase across the water, a bit of fighting and panicked diving - it all made for a rather good show.  These beautiful birds do have more serene and gentle moments too - with some displaying seen and presentation of weed with a little dancing. 

Thanks to John Crispin who has sent in a sequence shots of the pair mating on Wednesday. Be warned this is Certificate 18 - they're certainly not shy, these two!:

Their smaller cousin, the little grebe is also present - making plenty of noise (sounds a bit like a whinnying horse maybe) - this one looking very colourful - ready for spring. Thanks to Andrew Kirby for his photo:

Lots of other noisy birds in the vicinity too - most notably the coots, which always add some noise and action to the proceedings. One pair have taken over the platform the the great crested grebes built last week (the grebes have since built another further into the reeds). Lots of other coots getting a bit stroppy with each other - territorial disputes perhaps.

Water rails were also very noticeable in this area - several calling and replying to each other along the Tor View Hide path reeds. 

Other nest building going on here is by grey herons - you will most likely see them perched in the reeds - often in pairs, with one nest platform more obvious than others. Herons often start building early so this is no great surprise. You may see them carrying sticks or suitable reed stems such as this fellow photographed by John Crispin this week. Thanks John: 

Marsh harriers have been seen mating - on the willow bush visible beyond the VP1 water earlier this week. Also some aerial interactions such as sky dancing - reinforcing pair bonds and the like. They are being seen across most of the reserve this week: The Avalon Hide VP1, VP2 and Waltons all frequent sighting areas. They can commonly be seen in the mornings quartering over the reedbeds once the starlings have left too. Thanks to both John Crispin and Andrew Kirby for their marsh harrier photos taken this week:

The starlings have been moving around a little this week on Ham Wall - I was thinking earlier in the week that they would probably end on Shapwick Heath soon given this behaviour. Well, it has happened. After quite a few birds drifting over during Weds and Thursday last week they whole lot seem to be on Shapwick Heath now. I don't have an exact location but would suggest starting at the bridge part way up and wait to see where the bulk of the birds go. 

Whilst on Shapwick look out for the American Wigeon which is still present in the first stretch of open water on the right. Lots of pintail too I hear on Noah's Lake. 

Starlings also attract the aerial predators too such as sparrowhawk and peregrine, which have both been seen this week. 

If you are parking at Ham Wall (there is limited parking elsewhere) check out the trees as you cross over the boardwalk exit to Shapwick and around the reserve entrance for firecrest - reported a couple of times this week. Plenty of goldcrest around the reserve too.

Plenty of birds seen in and around the car park this week including: bullfinch, coal tit, redwing, fieldfare, song thrush, jay, blackcap and great spotted woodpecker on one of the telegraph poles. All these can be seen out along the main path too, whilst this individual was photographed by John Crispin in the pond at the north east corner of Waltons - not the place I would normally expect to see a great spotted woodpecker I'm guessing the water is still partially frozen making the log stable. Thanks John: 

Along the rail path also look out for chiffchaff - one in song this morning, siskin and redpolls in the alders, treecreeper - I had one near Loxtons on Saturday (28th), lots of friendly robins and great tits, gangs of long tailed tits (a nice group around the Tor View Hide yesterday and blackcap. 

Now the water has unfrozen, the water fowl seem to have spread back out a bit. VP1 offers wigeon, teal and pochard in particular (37 counted yesterday), whilst Waltons gives you coot, shoveler, gadwall, tufted duck as well as a few teal - some in nice and close.

At VP2 look out for the drake garganey - it was showing this morning flitting in and out of a group of mallard (the size difference is quite obvious here). 

The lesser scaup frozen out of Long Drove near Sharpham has returned since the thaw (was seen this morning) - apparently a goldeye was also present yesterday. Egyptian goose, white fronted goose and a few cattle egrets have also been seen nearby recently. 

Thanks to John Crispin for his shot taken this week - it's always worth scanning local fields of cattle in your way in (sometimes they drop into the field right next to the car park):

Also this week: ravens seen and heard flying over, bittern seen at the Avalon Hide (still a few weak boomers being heard - not quite warmed up yet), a single crane seen flying over the reserve at the far end of the rail path on Wednesday, bearded tits seen close to the Avalon Hide on Wednesday, kingfishers spotted at several locations: Avalon Hide, Waltons, VP1 and the old rail bridge, great white egrets seen regularly from VP1 or sat by the main drain through the reserve waiting patiently for a fish (12 were seen roosting together in Waltons last week), a jack snipe reported from VP2 and a water rail spotted from the gents toilets (not sure how this happened - all I know is that I'm not tall enough to see out of the windows there but the person who reported probably was).

Also not on Ham Wall but a lovely local find was this black redstart. It was captured on the nest cam boxes on St Johns Church in Glastonbury as the cameras were being checked over ready for the return of the peregrines. It's most likely the same one seen around the Abbey this week. Thanks to Steve Edwards for sending me in a couple of snaps:

I'd also like to say a very big thank you to Secret World who came out today to pick up a very poorly looking otter from the side of the road between the Avalon Marshes Centre and Shapwick Heath. They responded very quickly and professionally. I'll try to get an update next week to let you know whether it "made it" or not. Thanks Secret World!! 

It's delayed me writing this by about an hour but I've just managed to squeeze it in. Still it was worth it. 

That's it for now, as I really have run out of time. A wardens work is never done. 

Hope you've enjoyed reading. Have a great weekend.