Firstly, apologies for the lack of blog from me for over the last 3 weeks - I have been on annual leave with my family and then back in working at the weekend helping to run our popular canoeing events meaning more time away from these updates. 

Secondly, I couldn't possibly overlook the sad news which we all heard yesterday. We were all deeply saddened to hear of the passing of our patron, Her Majesty The Queen. We offer our heartfelt condolences to all of the Royal Family and close friends and thank Her Majesty for her loyal service to the UK and the Commonwealth and for her genuine interest in the environment and conservation. 

The weather today seems to reflect the mood of the country, with persistent rain and gloomy outlook. It can't be said that the rain wasn't needed however, after the long and very hot dry spell we have experienced lately. Our water levels in general have held up pretty well, although due to evaporation some muddy areas have been showing over the last 3 weeks or so (pretty much since the last blog when sightings were pretty quiet). 

This has attracted a number of wading birds - particularly in front of the Avalon Hide and the second viewing platform (VP2). Green sandpiper (one flew over me calling at VP1 this morning), wood sandpiper, common sandpiper, ruff, greenshank and the ever popular snipe have all been frequent visitors at these locations. 14 black tailed godwits were counted in front of the Avalon Hide this week.

We've also had a sustained visit from a spotted crake in the area in front of VP2 for around 3 weeks or more. It's not been reported for a couple of days - but this is not to say it isn't still out there somewhere. You could always pop over to the other side of the drain from VP2 and check out the other viewing areas and try your luck. 

Thanks to John Crispin who has sent in shots of both ruff and snipe taken this week. Thanks John!

Ruff

Snipe

When the mud first showed at the Avalon Hide it became a haven for a number of heron species as the found it more easy to pick off fish. Around 150 birds were estimated including: grey heron, great white egrets, little egrets and cattle egrets. Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of a group of great white egrets:

In amongst these birds is a ringed bird AAM. This bird was ringed at Ham Wall in May 2018. It was then recorded at Titchwell Haven the following August and the returned to Somerset at Durleigh Reservoir in the September. It's since taken 4 years to get another record of this bird. It just goes to show, even with high first winter mortality, an unseen bird doesn't mean a dead bird. 

Here's the bird in question: 

....and a further close up of the ring, so you know what to look for:

Thanks also to Mike Pearce, who snapped this individual catching some breakfast yesterday:

Bittern flights have reduced recently although there are still occasional sightings to enjoy. 3 were seen walking around on the mud in front of the Avalon Hide at a similar time to the swarm of other herons. 

Some migrants can also still be seen. Sand Martins have been tricking through most days but some days see much larger groups of c100 or more. Yesterday was one such day with good numbers over the car park and Monday 5th saw something similar from the first viewing platform (VP1). Plenty of birds catching insects on the wing or resting in the reeds. Quite nice given how disappointing the autumn migration was here this year (or perhaps typical that the poorest year I can remember is the season after we erect the artificial sand martin bank at VP1 - maybe next year will be better). Thanks to John Crispin for his shots of individual birds plus a group resting in the reeds:

You may also still see birds such as whitethroat, sedge warbler and reed warbler - most likely these are birds migrating back and therefore just passing through. Willow warbler and chiffchaff (these may well overwinter) can also be heard singing between the downpours of rain - perhaps with a little less lustre at this time of year. Thanks again to John Crispin. This time for a lovely sedge warbler shot:

Bird song increases with the sunnier spells but so to does the insect activity. I've seen several butterfly species this week despite the amount of rain. Painted lady, speckled wood, comma, red admiral, small white and green veined white. Thanks to Mike Pearce who has sent in shots of both speckled wood and green veined white this week:

Not surprisingly, during wetter weather less dragonflies are being seen but actually during sunny spells I have seen some quite prolific groups - particularly migrant hawkers. Also look out for brown hawker, common darter, ruddy darter and any later emperor or southern hawker that may till be around. Thanks again to Mike Pearce who has sent in shots of a male migrant hawker and a male common darter both taken this week:

These guys still need to take care as a few hobby sightings are still being reported. I had one during the canoe event on Saturday, one was reported over Loxtons on Tuesday and from the car park on Monday. Other birds of prey seen include buzzards daily, tawny owls being heard and of course marsh harriers.

Sightings dipped slightly after the young birds from this years nests dispersed but now we are seeing a few sightings daily of the adult birds. Sightings will no doubt increase once starling season gets fully underway. 2000 birds were reported dropping into the Waltons section last week but this will be increasing slowly until they are joined by birds coming in from the east. 

Other birds are joining us with small  numbers of wigeon and teal being seen and an increase in ducks such as shoveler. 

You can still spot some juvenile birds with parents - not just the more obvious swans with cygnets. Great crested grebes have been seen feeding youngsters in a couple of places including these who appear to be feeding young birds from two different aged broods. Thanks to Mike Pearce for his photos and observations:

John Crispin also captured these shots of a young water rail. Firstly, on its own and secondly with a parent. Thanks John: 

Also this week: ravens flying over the reserve on Saturday, kingfisher seen and heard regularly from the old rail bridge, swallows seen in small groups most days, great spotted woodpeckers seen and heard daily, an otter spotted from the Tor View Hide on Tuesday, 3 roe deer surprised by me this morning as they sheltered under trees from the rain (close to main track), a grass snake spotted yesterday at VP1, 2 black terns passed over neighbouring Shapwick Heath earlier in the week and little grebes spotted at both the Avalon Hide and Tor View Hide.

Some advance notice -  next week there looks like there will be significant disruption along the Ashcott Road which leads to the reserve . The whole stretch is to be resurfaced meaning closures in both directions at some point. We will be doing our very best to communicate with the contractors and feed this back to you so please keep an eye on our social media pages as this could be quite a fluid and changeable situation and is somewhat weather dependent too. It is completely out of our control but we will do our best to keep you informed. it's currently due to start on the 14th Sept. 

That's it for this week. Thanks for reading and have an enjoyable weekend!