Thank goodness for a drier week - we really needed it didn't we. Our pumps have been on full time since Sunday morning and the level in the ditch that runs through the reserve is higher than when it started BUT it has dropped about 2 inches since yesterday so it should now start to draw down much more noticeably over the next few days.

The roads in to the reserve have been accessible - although the ice has caused a few delays here and there with some large vehicles leaving the road, so take care out there. It was -6C on my way in to work this morning. 

Despite some very frosty starts and even a little snow on Wednesday, we've had some glorious sunshine too - today no exception. 

We've been out double checking sluices and valves - anything to give our pumps a helping hand to get water levels down. The Avalon Hide remains inaccessible at the moment. 

We've had several interesting sightings throughout the week though. A male garganey was a bit of a surprise. It was reported to me in front of the first viewing platform (VP1) where it was heard calling and displaying (unconfirmed reports of a female). On looking on twitter it seems most reports are from the second platform (VP2) so it could well be moving about - lots of ice over the water so could well be moving about - there is suggestions of a second, less well marked bird, too.

Thanks to John Crispin for his photos taken this week:

There have also been sightings of a female lesser scaup from our Long Drove compartment (still these yesterday) - it's a fair way south of Waltons and not accessible to the public. It has been seen from the road which runs by the end but these roads aren't ideal when it's icy. There are several photos on twitter if you fancy seeing it. Reports nearby of white fronted goose and 2 Egyptian geese (think these have been in the area for a while and have been seen on the main reserve recently).

Another surprise sighting was a grass snake sunning itself yesterday near the old rail bridge on the main track. It was very warm in the afternoon just like this morning. This area is often good for them - the gabions etc around the bridge must still be a hibernaculum. 

The warm spells of weather, however short, are triggering other behaviours too. I'm pretty sure I've heard another couple of attempts by bitterns at booming (adding to last weeks grunting male). A tawny owl male was calling on both Tuesday and Wednesday in the trees near the car park this week, in the middle of the day whilst great crested grebes have again been displaying.

A pair was head bobbing and weed dancing on Tuesday from the screens at Waltons. Thanks to Andrew Kirby who captured these shots from the Tor View Hide this week - most likely the same pair. It's a fascinating bit of behaviour - great to see:

Waltons has been pretty packed with birds at times this week - their movement stopping the water from icing over. A few hundred coot, plenty of gadwall and shoveler too add to the action and noise. There were 2 coots on the north of the reserve today who were swimming around in a circle of water about 5 feet wide this morning. They dive down to the bottom for food so they have worked hard to keep their little patch open and ice free. 

There was a great white egret stood alone in an ice free pool too, hunched over, waiting for it's moment. The majority seemed to be fishing along the main drain this morning along with grey herons and the odd cormorant. This drain is flowing fairly quickly at the moment as the Environment Agency try and draw water off the levels. They can be seen elsewhere though - there were a couple standing in the Waltons reedbeds on Tuesday and John Crispin captured these shots of a successful fishing attempt this week too. Thanks John: 

We are prioritising some of our scrub work in areas where great white egrets nest annually as to be out of the area in plenty of time before they start prospecting for nest sites.

The icy weather can often make life a lot more difficult for birds - feeding opportunities for some are vastly reduced and just preserving energy for some is hard. One good reason why we have zones on the reserve with more distant or no public access as to reduce disturbance for birds at this time of year as well as during breeding season - constant disturbance means birds flying up and around using up more energy.

Behaviours can often change too. Some birds may more to estuaries where water is less likely to freeze or simply spend more time out in the open on the hunt for food. It's often a time you may see more moorhens for example or even water rails. One was spotted at the Tor View Hide this week and on the fishing ponds at the far end of the main track this morning along with a kingfisher.

Kingfishers have been seen pretty frequently this week: from the old rail bridge, the Waltons section on several occasions as well as at Loxtons and VP1. Always a pleasure to see that flash of blue. Learn and listen out for their call as to give you a clue of their presence. These photos were sent in by Sandie Andrews. Not Ham Wall I'm afraid. She's been having a lovely time in Spain and sent these over - I couldn't resist including them. She's also sent me some photos of flocks of night herons and glossy ibis - I won't post these just yet but perhaps a glimpse into the future for us - I can always dream. Thanks Sandie: 

Starlings are still roosting on Ham Wall each night. Still currently split with a larger group pretty distant from VP2 but a smaller group - I say small - about 200,000 in the western side of Waltons, nice and close. Best viewed from the VP1 area. Thanks to John Crispin for a couple of shots of birds taking off one morning this week:

Remember if you are planning a visit to see them roost, arrive in plenty of time - at least an hour before sunset. There's plenty to see while you wait. Avoid weekends if at at possible - it does get very busy and sometimes the car park hits capacity and we are full. Please don't park on the road or in gateways - it can cause a bit of a traffic headache. 

There are usually staff or volunteers on hand to show you where to go too and you can grab a hot drink before heading out to see the show. 

There are quite a few duck out in front of VP1 to look at while you wat. Plenty of teal out there this morning, a few lapwing, wigeon, mallard and Canada geese along with a few snipe. They were all gathered close together this morning due to much of it being iced over. 

Lapwing and snipe have also been observed over on the cut islands in Waltons. Thanks to John Crispin who has sent in his shot of snipe taken this week. You might have to scan carefully to pick them up sometimes, as they blend in quite well to the surrounding reeds:

In the mornings after the starlings leave look out for marsh harriers quartering over the reedbeds looking for dead or dying starlings for an easy breakfast. Up to 4 have been seen at once this week but they can also be seen during the day with good views from both platforms and the Tor View Hide this morning.  

Also this week: a cattle egret in the field next to the car park on Tuesday (always worth checking the fields in the local area on your way in to us - but keeping your eyes on the road obviously), barn owl out hunting during the day on Tuesday from VP1, a kittiwake reported flying over Loxtons on Saturday (14th), water pipit spotted from VP1 last weekend - not been told of any since but doesn't mean they are never there - they've been fairly frequent up to now, bullfinch spotted along the main path, great spotted woodpeckers seen and heard regularly, roe deer seen wandering the grassy banks of the reserve, groups of reed buntings moving about together, stonechats seen perched up close to VP1, American wigeon still being reported from over on Shapwick Heath, ravens seen and heard on most days over the car park, redpolls seen feeding in alder trees by the car park on Tuesday and a group of bearded tits in the very first bit of reedbed on the left of the track this morning - visible from the old rail bridge but could walk the other side and wait at the no entry gate and try your luck during a sunny spell would be best. 

Phew, I'd better leave it there for this week - time is pressing as always. Thanks for reading and have a great weekend.