Firstly apologies for the missing blog last week. We decided that I should concentrate on getting reed cutting finished in front of the first viewing platform (VP1) and so I did the extra day to try and catch up. You'll be pleased to hear that we have now finished the work and will be slowly raising the water levels in here - it may take a little while before you see the difference though. It should then be more inviting to waders, ducks and egrets and perhaps the return of glossy ibis like last year. 

When finishing the cutting yesterday I flushed a couple of snipe whilst working on the nearest island as well as a single jack snipe. A great white egret has been spotted here regularly along with a grey heron - would expect these numbers to increase as water levels rise and make it look more inviting. Great white egrets are still a relatively easy spot if you are out on the reserve - the Avalon Hide, VP1 and VP2 are all good place to try - I saw one fly across Loxtons this morning too. Thanks to Sandie Andrews, Mike Pearce and Paul Kaiser who have all sent in Great White Egret shots taken in the last fortnight:

Also in front of VP1 you will often see cormorants with their wings outstretched = looking very prehistoric. Thanks to both John Crispin and Mike Pearce who have sent in shots of a posing juvenile this week:

Other good news is that we have installed windows in the back of the Avalon Hide giving a 360 degree view now. We will aim to get some tree work done in the woodlands on either side to offer better views to barn owl boxes (a tawny owl has also used one of the frequently over the last few years). We have also added some minor screening within the hide to try and reduce disturbance to wildlife with light now passing all the way through the hide. A bird ID board has been added to one of these too. Hope you enjoy it. We may also look into future management of the small section to the left of the hide as you approach to create more interest. 

With the colder weather lately (although still mild for the time of year) there has been an increase in bird numbers. Starlings have increase to over 100,000 and have moved from the Waltons section to the other side of VP1 over the last few nights. Some mornings over the starling roost area you will see marsh harriers hunting for prey/carrion and as many as 6 have been seen together. In fact marsh harrier activity in general seems to have increased in the past week or so - try VP1 or the Avalon Hide and it won't be long before you have one in your sights. 

Thanks to John Crispin for his shots of an individual using the cut islands and nearby trees in front of VP1 and to Sandie Andrews for her shot of a female:

A peregrine also whizzed through at starling departure time and was snapped by John Crispin this week. Thanks John: 

Other birds of prey include the buzzard who has been following me around on the islands in front of VP1 whilst reed cutting - it could be the same one who I see having an altercation with a crow from the old rail bridge - I've seen them arguing and having a bit of a chase 3 times recently.

Perhaps the crow has a problem as the marsh harriers were also having a similar issue this week - thanks again to John Crispin for his photo: 

Sparrowhawks have been seen on multiple occasions this week including over the car park and VP1 as well as a kestrel who has also been showing well throughout the week. Thanks to Sandie Andrews and Paul Kaiser for sending in their recent kestrel shots taken at Ham Wall: 

Duck numbers have increased notably this week, with a lot packed in around Waltons and the Tor View Hide area today - nice to get some noise and life back into the reserve after the post breeding season lull. 

Pochard and tufted duck have begun to increase in number with 23 pochard counted this week, along with growing numbers of wigeon and teal, gadwall, mallard, shoveler and a single male pintail in the east side of Waltons. Thanks to John Crispin for his shots of Gadwall showing its colourful wings and all round good plumage - an under rated duck I think:

Thanks also to John for his shoveler shots - we think this could be a male in eclipse plumage. The second photo shows well the lamellae on the upper and lower mandible: 

Amongst the duck you will see good numbers of coot too - there was a group of about 30 on the way to the Avalon Hide yesterday - thanks to Sandie Andrews for her shot with the lighting making the coots look really grey:

Also on the way to the hide today I could see a large group of waders in front of VP2 which I took to be black tailed godwits. We have also had recent reports of a spotted redshank (last week), common redshank and good numbers of lapwing. A group of about 60 flew over the car park yesterday morning. Thanks to Mike Pearce for his shot of 35 black tailed godwits taken last week:

Using the same area (in front of VP2 or at least the willow screens of the grassy footpath side of the main drain) have been good numbers greylag geese. These along with a few Canada Geese have been using this area to roost each night in amongst the lapwings. I had a group of around 60 greylags pass over me on Monday over Waltons/Loxtons. 

Other large numbers of birds of note include wood pigeons. You'll most likely see large groups of these at this time of year as they migrate - it can be several hundred. I had around 50 in a group on Monday whilst John Crispin has recorded a group of over 100 on Wednesday this week.

Groups of fieldfare can also be seen - I had a group of around 100 last week whilst smaller groups have been spotted this week. 

Despite these signs of change (finally) - there are still indicators that the temperature is warmer than usual. There are still several active wasps nests around on site and plenty of sightings of hornets, butterflies and dragonflies. Red Admiral, large white, peacock, specked wood and small tortoiseshell have all been spotted this week in terms of butterflies, whilst migrant hawker, common darter and ruddy darter dragonflies have all been spotted (I saw all 3 myself this very morning). When the frosts finally come we should see the last of them for this year.

There are plenty of the smaller birds to see too. A walk down the main path and a listen or scan of the trees can add plenty to your list including: bullfinch, goldcrest, song thrush, treecreeper, friendly robins, goldfinches, the odd lesser redpoll has been seen, chiffchaff and gangs of long tailed tits. It's worth scanning groups of finches or tits as you never know what else these groups may contain. Thanks to Paul Kaiser for his shots of treecreeper and long tailed tit: 

In the reed beds you could see bearded tits - near the Avalon Hide perhaps your best bet, very loud cettis warblers - still belting out the odd call, reed buntings and stonechats - watch for them perching up high on stems and flicking their tails. Thanks again to  Paul Kaiser for his stonechat shot:

Check out the trees to for birds such as great spotted woodpecker - they are seen and heard daily around the reserve and lately green woodpeckers are being seen and heard much more frequently. One has been around the car park pools at least 3 days this week perching on the large alder at the back of the ponds. Thanks to Sandie Andrews for her shot of a female (note the lack of red on the nape) great spotted woodpecker:

Also this week: a male hen harrier spotted over at Catcott Lows (Somerset Wildlife Trust) on Tuesday, the American Wigeon was still present yesterday over on Shapwick Heath (Natural England), the whooper swan still present yesterday in the Loxtons area of Ham Wall, a bittern flight within the Waltons section witnessed on Wednesday, numerous kingfisher sightings including from VP1 and the Avalon Hide, great crested grebes within the Waltons section, jays heard squawking amongst the woodlands, little grebes seen at Waltons and most strangely a single house martin seen from the Avalon Hide yesterday and cattle egret seen in the local area with 115 counted in one group. Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of some with sheep for company rather than cows on this occasion:

Finally, before I go here some news about some upcoming events you might be interested in: 

What the duck! Guided Walks:

“Would you like to learn to tell a wigeon from a teal, or a pintail from a pochard at RSPB Ham Wall? If so, join us on a walk around the reserve as we try to spot as many different species of duck as we can, and learn more about the different migrant and native ducks which you can find at RSPB Ham Wall during the autumn and winter. The walks are taking place on Saturday 12 November and Sunday 04 December 2022 between 10am – 12.30pm. For more information and to book, see the Ham Wall events page”.

That's it for this week - hope you get a chance to visit us soon. Apologies in advance, but no blog again next week as I am away again. It should return the following week if all is well. Have a great weekend!