I'm off work tomorrow (Friday 8th) so I'm writing this a day early this week - lets hope I don't miss anything too spectacular. Although things in terms of bird life are quietening down a bit (as is quite traditional at this time of year) there is still plenty of weird and wonderful things going on at the reserve at the moment.

I'll start with more of a weird thing. This character was spotted on the Avalon Hide path by one of our volunteers yesterday - a rather large caterpillar: 

After a bit of research, I have concluded that it is from a puss moth - so called because the adult moth is covered in a soft cat like fur. They are actually fairly common, feeding on poplars and willows (of which we have plenty). The females lay eggs on the upper side of leaves in singles or small clusters of 2 to 3 eggs. Small orange/brown caterpillars emerge and quickly turn into these large green creatures with red faces and 2 false eyes. They also have the two tails to ward of predators but if this doesn't work they can squirt formic acid at them. They chew wood to create a cocoon when ready and over winter in that state (sometimes for 2 winters). Weird and wonderful all on its own really. 

Here's totally wonderful. This barn owl seen hunting along the main drain this week - perhaps an adult feeding owlets from a later nest (we've had 3 barn owl nests on Ham Wall this year). Thanks to John Crispin for his fantastic photos:

Marsh harriers too are still busy feeding juvenile birds. Several food passes have been witnessed this week. The juveniles will appear brown and have more gingery heads rather than cream. They can often be heard calling on the wing too, towards their parents. 

This marsh harrier was photographed by John Crispin this week keeping an eye on a buzzard, or are they keeping an eye on each other?

Bitterns are still being seen in a few places - although by now we think all nests are fledged. Normal service has been resumed - back to being in the right place at the right time. Thanks again to John Crispin who has come up with 3 separate sightings on camera this week. The first either an adult female or a juvenile which have been seen quite regularly from the second viewing platform (VP2) recently:

The second not as sleek as the first as it comes in to land - obviously hitting some wind turbulence as it feather become a bit ruffled:

The 3rd ruffled even more - this time it would seem more in anger or frustration at another bird:

Another angry bird -  this time a great white egret getting stroppy with another egret that was nearby. Maybe there are a lot of tired parent birds out there with short tempers at the moment after a long breeding season ( I can remember this feeling well when my kids were small) :

Good sightings to be had of both great white egret and little egret at the Avalon Hide yesterday. There were also large groups of gadwall and mallard - many going into eclipse or juvenile birds.

Also great crested grebes, moorhen, coot and pochard all with young alongside. Bearded tits are still heard here occasionally - look out for birds flitting amongst the reeds. Keep your eyes open for cettis warbler (most likely hear these), reed bunting and reed warbler.

A reed warbler was spotted on the reserve yesterday making several successful attempts at catching damselflies. They are still pretty numerous around the reserve along with good numbers of dragonfly. The dragonfly walk on Sunday went well by the sounds of things, with several species recorded including brown hawker, southern hawker, emperor and black tailed skimmer but by far the most interesting was that of a lesser emperor. Generally found in southern Europe, they are an annual migrant to the UK.

Look out for the blue 'saddle' - quite obvious when it was seen flying around. It was spotted by the butterfly shaped bike racks at the end of the bridge that takes you towards the Avalon Hide. It was trying to land on them but must have found them a bit slippery as it kept falling off them again. Thanks to Giles Morris for his photo: 

Also seen on the walk was a white legged damselfly, these have been seen on Ham Wall before but in low numbers - I've only ever seen one but them I'm not always out studying them - perhaps they are slightly more common than we think. Thanks again to Giles Morris for his picture of a female taken on Sunday along the grassy footpath side of the main drain:

On the Saturday just gone was one of our pond dipping for adults sessions. There's a whole new world going on under the surface that we can't see. Plenty of fascinating species found by participants including this water stick insect:

Also this water scorpion - this apparently is a nymph as it still has wing buds. Thanks to Giles Morris again for both the pond life shots:

We are running this again so why not come down and join our Pond Dipping for Adults event on 23 July 2022 and see what you can find in our pond! Sessions are between 10 – 10.45am, 11 – 11.45am and 12 – 12.45pm. Visit Our events page for more information and to book.

Apart from birds on the water's surface you may also be lucky enough to see grass snakes too. They have been seen swimming on a number of occasions recently and are often reported from the old rail bridge (sometimes basking on the top), Waltons or around the car park pools. Common lizard has been seen a couple of times on the stone gabions of the bridge too and keep a look out for slow worms. This one was basking in the raised flower beds by the car park toilets pretty much all day on Monday. No need to worry they are actually a legless lizard and quite harmless:

On the stone gabions of the first viewing platform last week a weasel was seen hunting in and out of the small gaps (weasels are pretty small) in the stones for several minutes before crossing the track and disappearing into the grass. 

Also seen this week: king fisher from the old rail bridge and at Waltons, lots of little froglets seen around the reserve, Iberian frogs still calling at Waltons and Loxtons, a roe deer spotted in the trees along the footpath track )would have been visible from the old rail bridge), blackcap and chiffchaff heard singing, ravens seen flying over calling, a sparrowhawk flew past the first platform on Monday, a few butterfly species recorded including: small tortoiseshell, speckled wood, comma, red admiral, green veined white, small white, painted lady and small copper. 

The swallows in the car park building look set to fledge - I can see at least 3 young there with one standing up on the edge. Lovely to see. I took a quick shot as I didn't want to loiter here for long, hence why it is a bit blurry - or do I need glasses (probably both): 

That's where I'm going to leave it for this week. Have a great weekend and thanks for reading.