• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 06.04.2023

Well, it felt like spring had finally sprung in full on Tuesday, with a glorious day. Unfortunately, it went AWOL yesterday and felt like winter again. The sun's done it's best to shine today, although a little windy as I undertook my first Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) of the season. Nothing particularly unusual in my area of the reserve but it was great to hear my first Reed Warbler of the season over near the Avalon Hide…

• BBC Wild Isles – Freshwater Conservation in Somerset

Fascinated by the Freshwater episode of Wild Isles? Wetlands are brilliant for biodiversity from the beginnings of rivers right down to the mouths! We’re experts in wetland conservation, from restoring old quarries to re-wiggling rivers, in Som...
  • Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 31.03.2023

Apologies for the lack of a blog last week. I was on a training course which took all day. It was nice to hear my first singing Willow Warbler of the season though and since then I've heard several more around the reserve along with blackcap and multiple numbers of chiffchaff. Chiffchaff seem to have overwintered in large numbers so it's no real surprise to hear so many in song. Thanks to John Crispin, Robin Morrison…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 17.03.2023

Spring is trying its best to get going but I've still been left feeling a little chilly at times this week. Spring migrants are beginning to arrive with around 500 sand martins reported over at Shapwick Heath yesterday - only a handful reported from Ham Wall so far and I'm still awaiting my first. 

Birds are singing well, particularly during sunny spells - Tuesday morning was particularly pleasant with blackcap…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 10.03.2023

Spring faltered slightly this week with some much colder days and sleet/snow on Wednesday which didn't really settle here but did on higher ground and a little further north in the county. 

Not surprisingly, wildlife sightings have been a little slower this week, although some birds seem determined to carry on regardless.

Grey herons are already well underway on nests at several locations including within the Waltons…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 03.03.2023

Another week and indeed another month has flown by and we're into March - the start of spring? It's certainly felt very spring-like at times this week although there was always a very cold breeze to remind you that winter may not quite be done with us yet. 

Wildlife is responding to the slightly milder (and thankfully dry) weather. A small tortoiseshell butterfly was spotted at the car park yesterday and I saw…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 24.02.2023

Firstly, apologies for the missing blog last week. I just ran out of time on Friday I'm afraid. It's a busy time of year as we struggle to finish all the reedbed and scrub work before the end of the month. Some areas are already out of bounds as birds such as grey heron are already setting up nests. We just have a couple of jobs left to do and then we have a little bit of down time before breeding season ramps up and…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 10.02.2023

Another pleasant week weather-wise with some lovely warm sunny spells interspersed with foggy and frosty mornings. It certainly has a feel of spring at about it at times but, as always, I'm expecting a rude awakening at some point where we may feel an icy blast or have some chaotic weather. 

I will enjoy it while it's here though and make the most of it. On those frosty mornings watch out for the numerous chiffchaffs…

• Recent sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 03.02.2023

The best sighting of the week has to be the 2 glossy ibis. Seen daily but sometimes briefly for several days. Today, however they seemed more settled, spending quite a bit of time in front of the first viewing platform (VP1) this morning amongst the Canada geese. They then got in amongst the lapwings before they all took off and circled around for a minute or so. They then settled again on the cut island in Waltons in…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 27.01.2023

Another week has flown by and it's Friday blog time again already. Time certainly seems to pass quickly and looking at some of the behaviour of birds on the reserve you'd think spring was already here (although it certainly hasn't felt like it at times this week).

This morning from the Tor View Hide, the pair of great crested grebes, who were last week head bobbing and weed dancing, were seen mating and have…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 20.01.2023

Thank goodness for a drier week - we really needed it didn't we. Our pumps have been on full time since Sunday morning and the level in the ditch that runs through the reserve is higher than when it started BUT it has dropped about 2 inches since yesterday so it should now start to draw down much more noticeably over the next few days.

The roads in to the reserve have been accessible - although the ice has caused…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 13.01.2023

Firstly, I ought to wish everyone a belated Happy New Year. There should have been a blog last week but something came up (apologies) so here we are almost 2 weeks into January already. Well, I think the theme for the new year so far is Wet Wet Wet!! 

The reserve is a touch on the moist side to say the least. This morning the Avalon Hide path was just about passable in wellies but with more rain on the way, waders may…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall 22.12.2022

The cold snap hit hard last week during my week off. Temperatures plummeting down into minus figures and often holding there throughout the day. Much of the reserve was iced over with little open water left. Only where larger numbers of birds gathered did their movement keep it open. 

Much more mild this week, which has of course brought rain and quite high water levels in the drainage channels, but no doubt, some relief…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 09.12.2022

The colder weather has continued this week with a thin layer of ice now formed over many parts of the reserve. Groups of birds have started to gather together in tighter bunches as space on the water becomes reduced. A group of around 20 coot were standing proud on the ice on the way to the Avalon Hide today, whilst the family of around 8 mute swans were far too heavy but were happily taking short swims around and keeping…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 02.12.2022

It's now meteorological winter apparently and it has definitely felt like it this week. Temperatures have plummeted and this week has seen very foggy conditions making bird watching a little tricky. It seems that the mist hasn't lifted from the reserve for around 3 days, whilst a visitor told me it was warm and sunny up on the Mendips looking down on the blanket of fog.

We do have some sightings to report though…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 25.11.2022

There has certainly been an influx of birds onto the reserve since my last blog. Much of this helped by rising water levels in front of VP1 after the reed cutting was completed. There's a much wider range of species to get acquainted with. 

Perhaps the most obvious is the throng of lapwing which are in residence daily. At least 200 are being spotted regularly, feeding on the ground or up in the air when unsettled.…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 11.11.2022

Firstly apologies for the missing blog last week. We decided that I should concentrate on getting reed cutting finished in front of the first viewing platform (VP1) and so I did the extra day to try and catch up. You'll be pleased to hear that we have now finished the work and will be slowly raising the water levels in here - it may take a little while before you see the difference though. It should then be more inviting…

• Top tips for visiting the Avalon Marshes Starling Roost

Important information for visiting the Avalon Marshes Starling Roost at RSPB Ham Wall and Natural England Shapwick Heath NNR
  • Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 28.10.2022

It's good to be back after a week off but it was straight back into work and a very busy week. We've had an RSPB film crew in for a couple of days, mainly focussing on reed cutting work to get some footage for future use. 

Progress has been a little slower than I would have liked with the reed cutting this week - just have 2 islands to go in front of the first viewing platform (VP1). Then we can start getting some…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 14.10.2022

A mixed bag of weather this week but on the whole some lovely sunny spells, although we did get our first frost of the season on Tuesday. Yesterday saw a very misty start followed by some lovely sunshine - it meant a slightly better second half to the bearded tit survey for the volunteers and this morning was a but miserable in all fairness.

It was typical, as this morning was the bearded tit walk - hoping to be armed…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 07.10.2022

Well it definitely feels like autumn now - darker mornings and some gloomier days and a bit of a chill in the early part of the day. 

It's been a quieter week it feels for wildlife and indeed for visitors with the resurfacing works on the road from Meare keeping some people away. You'll be pleased to hear that they have now finished and the road should be open by the time I have posted this blog. 

I may say it seems…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall 30.09.2022

It's been great to be back on "home soil" after 2 days away last week helping out the Wildlife Trust at Westhay and Monday and Tuesday over at RSPB Greylake this week doing some reed cutting for them. Now my machine is back here I can concentrate on clearing the reeds in front of the first viewing platform (VP1). The 3 islands on the right have now been completed, just the 4 on the left to go and some of the front plateau…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 23.09.2022

Time seems to be zipping away recently. We are well into September and autumn is well and truly here - although the warm weather this week may suggest otherwise. There will be some colder spells ahead I'm sure and a drop of rain wouldn't go amiss with some low water levels in a couple of places on the reserve. 

It has added some interest though with a few waders being spotted from the second viewing platform (VP2…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 16.09.2022

It was great to get out and have a walk about part of the reserve this morning. The sun was out with just a hint of a cool breeze in the air reminding me that Autumn is here. I was undertaking a butterfly survey which took me around some of our woodland and the western part of the reedbeds. Not surprisingly my list wasn't extensive but there were plenty of speckled wood - must have seen 50 throughout my morning. Also…

• Recent Sightings at RSPB Ham Wall - 09.09.2022

Firstly, apologies for the lack of blog from me for over the last 3 weeks - I have been on annual leave with my family and then back in working at the weekend helping to run our popular canoeing events meaning more time away from these updates. 

Secondly, I couldn't possibly overlook the sad news which we all heard yesterday. We were all deeply saddened to hear of the passing of our patron, Her Majesty The Queen. We offer…