There seems to be no end to the hot and dry weather at the moment. Not surprisingly, visitor numbers have been very low over the last couple of weeks. It's also traditionally a quiet time for bird life throughout July and August as temperatures rise and breeding season comes to a close, with many birds in a moult stage.

Some parent birds are still busy such as a whitethroat - still active at the first viewing platform (VP1) and from the same location (as well as others) parent marsh harriers have been dropping in food to youngsters. From VP1 birds have at times been sat in the bushes towards the back and the male has come over and dropped in food parcels. John Crispin has captured several images of these young birds in flight and settled in the bushes. Thanks John:

VP1 has also been a good place to see bitterns this week, although the number of sightings has vastly reduced now that all the nests have fledged. It's been a good season for both marsh harriers and bitterns (I'll put the final figures in a future blog when I know them) and great white egrets too have had an incredible season. 43 nests produce around 75 young a small number (about 14 I think) were ringed and some have already been recorded at Conwy in Wales, Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire and on the Isle of Wight. 

A group of 15 egrets were reported sitting around in trees at the back of the reserve from the second viewing platform (VP2) this morning. I made the assumption when I was told that they were great white egrets but I guess the y could easily have been cattle egrets - we do have a small herd of cattle out grazing the banks etc at the moment and we have had them at this time of year before. I know that groups of egrets (great, little and cattle) are roosting at Shapwick Heath in the evenings, so you never know. 

Despite have low numbers of swallows through this season at the reserve we have had successful breeding from the nest in the shelter at the car park. At least 3 chicks were present last week and I suggested in the last blog that they looked ready to go. Well they were there on Sunday but by Monday morning they were gone. Family groups have been gathering on the power lines and on Tuesday morning a sparrowhawk flew across the car park and all the swallows began to alarm call and chase it off - very impressive. 

There's certainly plenty of insect life for them on the reserve. A small group of sand martins flew in front of VP1 on Monday and groups of swift have been seen throughout the week feeding here and a hobby on a few occasions, including yesterday.

Obviously, their favourite snack is dragonflies. Plenty of those out on the reserve. I have heard on the grapevine that there have been a couple of reports of Norfolk Hawker in the Avalon Marshes - no more information than that but keep a look out for them. They are brown and have green eyes (don't confuse with our regular brown hawkers). You may also see: emperor, black tailed skimmer, southern hawker, brown hawker and migrant hawker (my first of the year this morning). The last remaining four spotted chasers and scarce chasers are also around. 

Migrant Hawker (stock photo) - Mike Pearce:

From VP1 yesterday we had a four spotted chaser with larger spots on its wings - its a different form called praenubila - we had one a couple of years ago photographed by Giles Morris - here it is so you know what to look for:

In terms of damselflies look out for the very lovely banded demoiselle - been seeing these along the main drain (on the footpath side) and more abundantly towards the road. Look here also for red eyed damselfly - check out any floating vegetation from the bridge in the drain (see photo for ID). Look out also for common blue, azure and variable damselflies:

In terms of butterflies I'd say there aren't large numbers but you have a chance of seeing several species: reported this week on Ham Wall: gatekeeper (pictured), meadow brown, ringlet, speckled wood, comma, sliver washed fritillary (near Loxtons), small copper, small skipper, brimstone, red admiral, green veined white and small white. It's also worth checking out any oak trees for purple hairstreak. they have been reported before but often overlooked as adults spend most of the time in the canopy. Even a single tree can support a colony though.

Mammals are keeping a pretty low profile at the moment - don't blame them. Roe deer have been spotted on a few occasions including from the Avalon Hide and one which a volunteer followed along the path moving along slowly as he moved but totally aware of his presence. An otter was also spotted from the Avalon Hide on Monday morning. 

The Avalon Hide can be a good place to see or at least hear bearded tits but John Crispin was lucky enough to have 4 fly in front of VP1 yesterday. He has sent in a few shots - thanks John:

A few other sightings of interest from VP1 this week: stock dove seen leaving the barn owl box at the back (they have nested here this year), lapwing flying over on a couple of occasions, 2 x snipe on Wednesday and a single black tailed godwit yesterday, a treecreeper from the trees nearby, little egret, red kite yesterday, buzzards daily and this grey heron standing high on the artificial sand martin bank - getting a better look at things. Thanks to John Crispin for his photo: 

It reminded me that I had seen one standing high on a gate post to the left of the old rail bridge as you walk onto the reserve on Wednesday - not sure what he thought he would find to eat up there. Kingfishers were also seen and heard from here on several occasions - they must still be nesting or have fledged youngsters with them given the noise and activity.

Also this week: 2 grass snakes seen swimming in Waltons yesterday and another from the bridge above on Monday, bullfinch at the end of the wooden boardwalk leading out of the car park this morning, 92 greylags loafing in fields just to the south of the reserve, tawny owl heard calling in the evening and one or two barn owl sightings, noisy water rails and moorhens near the Tor View Hide, lots of gadwall and mallard all in eclipse from the same hide, a female garganey seen from VP2 and still some chattering from reed warblers out in the reedbeds. 

That's it for this week. Stay safe in the sunshine there a few very hot days coming up. Have a great weekend.