A mixed bag of weather this week but on the whole some lovely sunny spells, although we did get our first frost of the season on Tuesday. Yesterday saw a very misty start followed by some lovely sunshine - it meant a slightly better second half to the bearded tit survey for the volunteers and this morning was a but miserable in all fairness.

It was typical, as this morning was the bearded tit walk - hoping to be armed with some great locations, the weather was really not on our side. We did hear some and had a pretty good view of a male on one occasion. That's the way it goes sometimes I guess. 

The volunteers faired rather better yesterday with quite a few groups in double figures being spotted a various locations. Most in the non access areas  but some were seen close to the Avalon Hide and a couple of small groups at Waltons and Loxtons from the public trails. 

Thanks to Sandie Andrews who has sent in these shots take during her misty morning survey yesterday: 

The changes in weather will soon draw more birds into the area. 3 redwings were spotted at the car park yesterday - a sign that colder weather will soon be upon us. Duck numbers will grow too with teal and wigeon becoming more commonplace. The reserve will soon be filled with their familiar calls joining the throng of mallard, gadwall, shoveler, tufted duck and pochard.

We are often joined by stonechats over the autumn and winter months (seen at Waltons and VP2 this week) and I often see them perched up on reeds as I am out reed cutting in our machine, perched up high on the reeds. Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of a female taken at the Waltons section this week.

Jays are now more commonplace, busy stashing acorns to help them through the winter. 

Some summer visitors still remain (or are passing through)  with a female garganey was reported from the second platform(VP2) last weekend, whilst a few house martins and swallows are still passing over. 

This morning and throughout the week chiffchaff have been spotted quite frequently and have been heard in song too. One of the birds we heard this morning was at the gate from the grassy track to the Avalon Hide. It is very likely of course that many chiffchaff will overwinter with us. You may see the odd one in a mixed tit flock and who knows what else - always worth scanning all the birds. Thanks again to John Crispin for this chiffchaff photo from this week:

Some butterflies are still being seen - red admiral and speckled wood the most likely. These two speckled woods were snapped interacting by Sandie Andrews this week - thanks Sandie:

Sandie has also researched the following information for the blog - thanks Sandie:

• Whether this is a mating dance or two rivals battling it out I don’t know.  What is interesting is that the males may either be defending their territories or patrolling and that these two strategies may be differentiated by the number of spots on their hind wings where those  with three spots being more likely to be patrolling males, and those with four spots being more likely to be defending males.  The choice of a mate by the female depends upon her expected lifespan.  With a short life span she would likely accept the first male to happen along likely to be the patrolling male.  If her lifespan was longer she would likely spend more time searching for a stronger male, the male with his own territory and the 4 spots on the hind wings.

Dragonflies are still out on the wing too - any severe frost will start to see them off. Migrant hawkers, ruddy darters and common darters are all still being seen.

Thanks to Mike Pearce for his shots. First the migrant hawker and then common darter:

Now for your close up:

Mike's close up shows the amazing compound eyes of the dragonfly - it's estimated that there are over 26,000 facets in a dragonflies eye. The eyes of the adult dragonfly are the largest in the insect world. The fact that the eye surrounds the head means they can see in front, to the side s and behind all at the same time. Formidable hunters. 

With the colder weather upon us this will trigger many species to think about hibernation. October could well be the last opportunities to see snakes such as grass snake. Thanks to Will strange who sent me these lovely photos of his encounter with a grass snake on Sunday 9th on the main track before VP1. He said it about 3 foot long but in really good condition - perhaps it had recently sloughed it's old skin:

As autumn progresses you will likely see many changes across the reserve as the reed beds turn golden and bull rush heads burst sending seeds everywhere. Fungus becomes more evident and the whole feel of the place changes - I really enjoy the changing seasons and all that goes with it. Thanks to Mike Pearce for his shot of what we think might be honey fungus and to Sandie Andrews for her shot of an seed head from flag iris - definite shades of autumn in the shots:

The misty mornings also add a feel of mystery to the site - although Ham Wall is a recreation of reedbeds it can look ancient at times like that.

Thanks to Sandie Andrews for her misty shots of grey heron and roe deer taken yesterday: 

Sandie said she was able to get fairly close to the roe deer - I'm guessing the mist made it less aware of her presence. 

I got very close to a young fawn on Wednesday. I was passing a gateway in my machine and a young roe deer had got itself stuck in the gate. It's head and front legs were through but back end was not. I thought I would have to help it out and I could hear the poor thing panicking. Thankfully just as I got to it, it freed itself and was reunited with it's nearby mother.

The autumn months should bring more wader interest too. At the moment VP2 or the willow blinds on the grassy footpath side that look into the same area are your best bet, although some are also being seen from the Avalon Hide. This morning, good numbers of lapwing, some snipe and a single black tailed godwit were seen with a quick scan. This week has also seen green sandpiper, common sandpiper and redshank.

4 black tailed godwits passed over VP1 towards VP2 and were photographed by John Crispin this week and a single by Sandie Andrews from VP2. Thanks to both:

Thanks also to Sandie for her shot of a snipe coming into land and to Mike Pearce for his lapwing shots - a flock of at least 100 recorded this week:

With so many waders and ducks arriving soon you are far more likely to see birds of prey hawking overhead. Marsh harriers perhaps the most commonly seen. A female was perched resting and preening yesterday in bushes visible from VP1, whilst a well marked male has also been spotted this week. The female looked like the female from the nest in this area this year. 

This younger male was also photographed by Mike Pearce this week. Could well be a second or third year bird looking at the moult patter. Could be looking for his own territory this coming season.

Sparrowhawk have been seen on several occasions this week. This morning one was being mobbed by a crow close to VP1, whilst another was seen over Waltons during the starling roost. There are about 3000-5000 birds in the roost currently - so a slow climb in numbers from now on I would think.

Crows were at it again on Monday mobbing a buzzard in the same area as the sparrowhawk (meanwhile two other buzzards passed by unscathed)

Barn owls not being reported but it's very likely they are still about - the mess in the Avalon Hide would suggest so. Just far less active than the breeding season (just working the night shift now).

A red kite passed over the VP1 area very high yesterday and the odd kestrel sighting this week too, including this female who was seen eating her prize of a small mammal this week. Thanks to John Crispin for his photo:

Another bird with an altogether different prize this time. A little grebe ready to tuck into a dragonfly nymph. Thanks again to John Crispin for his shot:

A little grebe is generally considered quite a common bird but it's these types of birds which are the mainstay of any site - keeping us entertained in all kinds of ways while we search for the "rarer" stuff. 

Here's a small selection of those birds now. The ever charming robin, the noisy black headed gulls which always add a bit of action to the reserve, the sweet wren(all Mike Pearce), the great fisherman the grey heron(John Crispin) and the prehistoric looking cormorant (Sandie Andrews). Thanks to those named for their shots of these "common" birds:

Also this week: great spotted woodpeckers seen daily, a green woodpecker heard from the western woodland this morning, a long bittern flight from in front of VP1 to Waltons yesterday, kingfishers seen quite frequently along the main drain, VP1 and Waltons, a hobby flying low at VP1 on Tuesday carrying food, an otter reported from the old rail bridge last weekend, bullfinch seen in the car park, treecreeper along the main path, quite a few hornets being spotted including this morning and these 2 ravens which flew over the reserve cronking away this week. Thanks to John Crispin for his shot:

I'm afraid I'm out of time for this week - plenty to see if you give it some time and patience (and have a little luck too). Thanks for reading and have a great weekend. 

P.S. No blog next week as I will be away - it will return in two week's if all is well.