Well it definitely feels like autumn now - darker mornings and some gloomier days and a bit of a chill in the early part of the day. 

It's been a quieter week it feels for wildlife and indeed for visitors with the resurfacing works on the road from Meare keeping some people away. You'll be pleased to hear that they have now finished and the road should be open by the time I have posted this blog. 

I may say it seems quiet out there at times, but quiet for Ham Wall is still pretty special. There's a whole host of wildlife to spot with a bit of luck and a bit of patience. 

I'm still reed cutting with my machine from the first viewing platform (VP1) so this area is quite dry at the moment. The odd great white egret joins me whilst I am working away and I had a lovely encounter with a stonechat this week as he perched up in front of me on several occasions. A pair have also been seen over at Waltons this week so keep an eye out for them. The will often perch up on the tops of vegetation and give their tail a little flick. 

This great white egret took exception to another muscling in on his area in front of VP1 this week and soon chased him off. Thanks to John Crispin for this shot of the aggressor with his neck outstretched:

This other bird in a similar pose was snapped by Mike Pearce this week - the bird was calling flight at the Avalon Hide. Thanks Mike:

It's slightly less elegant cousin, the grey heron, has been spotted feeding around the edges of Waltons this week - with 3 seen in close proximity on one occasion. The IDB (Internal Drainage Board) have been out clearing the drains around Waltons and parts of Loxtons this week and so birds often feed on any morsels dragged out with the vegetation. Thanks to Sandie Andrews who photographed this individual this week: 

Sandie also witnessed this little egret spot it's prey in the water as it flew over. It went for it immediately creating a bit of a splash but was unsuccessful on this occasion - better luck next time. Thanks for the photos Sandie: 

This was in the area overlooked by the second viewing platform (VP2) - don't forget there are also the 2 willow blinds on the other side of the drain that give alternate views in here. 

There is some mud showing here and there, which had attracted a few wader species again this week: up to 100 lapwing seen yesterday (with a possible dunlin amongst a group on Monday), wood sandpiper, green sandpiper, black tailed godwits, ruff, snipe and a spotted redshank earlier in the week. 

It has also been in this area where Canada geese and greylag geese have been roosting at night. When they take off in the mornings it can be pretty atmospheric. Thanks to John Crispin for his photo of some graylags in flight (up to 100 have been seen):

The previously mentioned lapwings have been present on most days and gave this marsh harrier a bit of a hard time earlier this week. Safety in numbers approach in effect here. Thanks to John Crispin for his shots

This female was again minding her own business when this male flew in to disturb her peace - thanks go again to John Crispin for this one: 

Other birds of prey spotted this week include the osprey seen from the Avalon Hide and Tor View Hide on Monday - not sure of any further sightings this week but you never know, hobby spotted over the reserve on a few occasions, sparrowhawk from VP2 on Monday, a kestrel at various locations including the Avalon Hide VP2 and the old rail bridge- great to see them hovering over the reserve  (thanks to John Crispin for his shot) and buzzard (seen daily - thanks to Mike Pearce for his shot taken from the Avalon Hide).

As winter approaches we should begin to see a build up of wildfowl as the weeks pass. Comments have been made by visitors as to the numbers of gadwall we have present currently. An overlooked duck in my opinion - not the grey drab birds you might think at first glance. The males have a lovely plumage when seen close up - very smart. 

Thanks to Mike Pearce for his shot of a male coming into land at the Avalon Hide:

He also captured this female shoveler on the same day:

Add to these sightings of wigeon, teal, mallard and soon I suspect more tufted duck and pochard and you have rather a nice little collection of duck. 

Little and great crested grebes are also still be spotted with the Tor View Hide perhaps the best spot. The great crested grebes still have chicks for company, although the behaviour has changed slightly as Sandie Andrews has observed. The adult was diving for fish but now instead of giving directly to the chick it swam away with the chick in pursuit. It then readjusted the fish in its bill and dived - followed by the youngster. You can't see what's going on underwater, but a few seconds later up they pop with the chick holding the fish - a food pass underwater - teaching of essential life skills. Thanks for this Sandie and for your photos of the pair: 

Another bird seen catching a fish this week was this coot - not sure I've seen a coot with a fish before - always assumed they weren't quick enough. Thanks to John Crispin for his image of the event:

Catching prey above the water this time. A house martin with beak open after a flying insect. Thanks again to John Crispin for his shot:

There are still quite a few insects out on the wing despite the cooler weather on average. Sunny spells lead to increase activity from butterflies and dragonflies which have made it this far (of course some butterflies will overwinter as adults but it will be game over for the dragonflies whose work will soon be done.

Red admiral, small tortoiseshell, green veined white, a peacock and several speckled woods all seen during the week. It's quite meagre pickings for dragonflies now, although a visitor did report a brown hawker on Monday. Migrant hawker, common darter and ruddy darter are the most likely suspects of any you see. 

Thanks to Mike Pearce for his shots of migrant hawker taken this week. One at rest and then a great head on shot of one in flight taken from the bench on the Tor View Hide path:

Mike has also captured these shots of common dater this week including a mating pair - thank again Mike:

As these insects disappear you might want to try photographing something easier. It's a great time of year to find and photograph fungus. I've been seeing a lot of mushrooms out on the islands I've been cutting in front of VP1 and anywhere you find rotting wood you could well find things like scarlet elf cap of varying species of bracket fungus. Thanks to Sandie Andrews for her shot of shaggy ink cap. It can grow 2-5cm wide and up to 9cm on the stem. 

Also this week: kingfishers seen quite regularly around Waltons and from VP1, 2 ravens flying over the Avalon Hide yesterday, 2 jays at the car park on Monday (quite busy at the moment - perhaps caching acorns for winter), otter reported from VP1 on Monday, roe deer seen across the reserve on a few occasions, visitors reported seeing snails eating flies along the footpath side of the drain whilst others saw hornets eating dragonflies (see the photo in last week's blog for an example of this), great spotted woodpeckers seen daily, bearded tits seen from the Avalon Hide yesterday, chiffchaffs seen and heard all week, large groups of long tailed tits forming, treecreeper and bullfinch both seen along the main track, a few hirundines still passing through but not in great numbers and this moorhen and water rail seen together and photographed by Sandie Andrews.

Interesting to see the size difference. Sandie has got these figures from the RSPB website.

Moorhen:  Length 32-35cm  Wingspan: 50-55cm  Weight: 250-400g

Water rail: Length: 23-28cm  Wingspan: 38-45cm  Weight:  80-180g

The differences are definitely noticeable. Thanks for the info Sandie and the lovely photo:

Better leave it there for this week as I'm all out of time. Thanks for reading and have a great weekend.