There has certainly been an influx of birds onto the reserve since my last blog. Much of this helped by rising water levels in front of VP1 after the reed cutting was completed. There's a much wider range of species to get acquainted with. 

Perhaps the most obvious is the throng of lapwing which are in residence daily. At least 200 are being spotted regularly, feeding on the ground or up in the air when unsettled. They always add a bit of noise and colour to your visit. Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of a group of lapwing and for his lovely close up of an individual:

Look out also for groups of snipe - often well disguised in amongst the cut reed stems. They do fly up occasionally though in small tight groups. I was spotting a jack snipe too when I was finishing of the reed cutting work but unaware if it's still there. They are less easily disturbed in my experience and will often only fly when you are almost on top of them and then only fly for a short distance. Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of a "wisp" of snipe:

Small groups of black tailed godwits have also been seen over the last couple of weeks - more often than not in front of the second viewing platform (VP2), although the recent torrents of rain have raised levels in the last couple of weeks reducing the amount of mud showing. 

In terms of other waders, it was great to see around 100 golden plovers flying over the car park this morning with their distinctive calls alerting me to their presence. 

Other birds adding some noise and colour to the proceedings are the teal and wigeon. All the peeps and whistles are adding to the chorus from VP1 along with the lapwing. Duck numbers seem to be building in general after a slow start. Waltons (from the Tor View Hide and viewing screens) offers plenty - particularly gadwall, but also mallard, teal, wigeon, shoveler and tufted duck. Last week also gave a sighting of a single male pintail.

Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of a male teal (still showing some remnants of it's eclipse plumage and to Sandie Andrews for her shots of a male teal having a good flap and a splash and then a lovely group shot coming in to land: 

Thanks also to Sandie for her shot of a gadwall also having a good old splash:

If in the Tor View Hide watch out for a pair of gadwall hanging around close to coot. When the coot dives for food and brings it back to the surface it has been frequently mugged by these gadwall. Interesting behaviour from what you would consider everyday birds here at Ham Wall.

The new windows in the Avalon Hide have been generally well received. It offers good views back towards VP1 - marsh harriers have been quite busy in this area recently with up to 4 being spotted at the same time. We will work on views back towards the wood you pass as you walk in, where the barn owl box is (usually occupied by tawny owls) and across the small section on the other side as time allows to bring more interest on that side. 

Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of a marsh harrier getting a bit upset with a buzzard for sitting on one of its favourite perches and to Sandie Andrews for her close up shot of a male:

A few kestrel sightings too along with sparrowhawk - particularly around 'starling' time of day  looking for an easy meal. I have also seen a merlin on a couple of occasions lately so keep your eyes peeled. Also in terms of birds of prey, the male hen harrier is still in the area. Has been seen at Catcott Lows on a few occasions but was seen at RSPB Greylake this morning apparently. 

Now that I've mentioned starlings, I'll deal with that next. It seems that there's been quite an upturn in numbers over that past couple of weeks and the estimate of the roost is now over 300,000 birds. As far as I'm aware VP1 is still the place to go with the majority of birds out in front of the platform with a small roost still dropping into the Waltons area (on the western side).

VP1 is also a great place to see great white egrets. There is at least 1 here on most days fishing and preening. Could also try VP2 and the Avalon Hide for other favoured haunts. 

Cattle egret are also being spotted in good numbers locally (a few hundred) - keep your eyes open when driving towards the reserve out in the local area. Particularly in fields of cows (surprise surprise).

Grey herons can also be seen on the reserve - often along the main drain hunting patiently. Sandie Andrews had one fly right over her head last week and managed to grab this lovely shot. Thanks Sandie:

Over in Loxtons the whooper swan was still present earlier in the week - I've not been over there to confirm it's still there in front of the screen but this shot was taken by Mike Pearce on Monday - thanks Mike: 

An unusual winter visitor for us - particularly one which stays for so long - great to have though. 

There are still a few hangers on from the warmer weather though. A few butterflies are still being seen - red admiral in particular, with one reported this morning. 

The frost hasn't quite finished off all the dragonflies either, with this common darter surviving the first real frosts this autumn. Thanks to Mike Pearce for his shot: 

Great crested grebes often leave us when the colder weather sets in preferring to winter on estuaries, which don't freeze over and have more food source available. I think in recent years more have stayed. This juvenile was snapped by John Crispin this week over in Waltons - running to take off. Thanks John:

There's no getting away from the fact that autumn is here when the redwings and fieldfares are here. Several groups of each have been spotted over the last couple of weeks and the damp weather and time of year means more fungus all over the reserve - a real seasonal sign. Thanks to Mike Pearce for his fungus shot - unfortunately I'm not very good with fungi and don't have time to research it today. Help with ID anyone? 

Other autumn/winter time visitors we get are stonechats - often seen in pairs. Look out for them sitting up high on reeds and giving a tail flick every so often. Thanks to John Crispin for his shots of both male and female with prey items and to Sandie Andrews for her shot of a male having a good old "chat" with a reed bunting:

Also this week: great spotted woodpeckers seen and heard regularly, kingfishers spotted in and around the Waltons section, ravens seen and heard over the car park, bullfinch along with treecreeper and goldcrest reported along the main path, 3 roe deer disturbed and on the run - spotted from the old rail bridge, 2 water pipits seen from VP1 this morning, bearded tits spotted from the Avalon Hide this week but last week along the path to the Tor View Hide and plenty of flocks of long tailed tits and some mixed flocks - remember to scan them all - you never know what may be hiding in the group. 

With leaves falling - it's making it a little easier to spot and ID your song and woodland birds in particular or even just get a good sighting of a more common bird such as this handsome great tit - thanks to Mike Pearce for his photo: 

That's it for this week. Thanks for reading and have a great weekend. Why not take a trip out to Ham Wall and the other local nature reserves and get your nature fix.