This will have to be a fairly quick blog today as I'm very tight for time, but here goes anyway.

Spring certainly felt like it was here today but other days have been decidedly miserable this week. Cold rain showers such as these will do no favours for some species of bird who perhaps nested a little earlier than usual. I've already heard about a couple of failures of Great White Egret nests in the Avalon Marshes - most likely due to cold temperatures and wet conditions for chicks of a certain size. They do have time to go again though, so fingers crossed.

You can still see Great White Egrets on a daily basis at Ham Wall - try the first viewing platform (VP1) or the second (VP2) to see these elegant birds fishing in the open water or on the edges of islands. VP1 also had a couple of Little Egrets fishing together this week. 

There have also been several Bittern sightings - some in flight, but it also appears one individual has a favoured fishing spot here, with several sightings of a bird in the same place this week. Look to the left of VP1 to the far bank and look for the southernmost of the two open grassy areas. It's been sat here on a number of occasions and I witnessed it sky pointing on Wednesday - they do this when stood against reeds - it can help them blend in and hide away. The booming of the male birds is still very much in evidence each day.

Another Bittern was seen right next to the Loxtons screen by my colleague Joe. It was just 3 metres away but didn't flush. It merely elongated its body and neck and sky pointed to try and blend into the reeds.

VP1 has been great for waders recently. The reeds are growing here but it has still been possible to see a wide variety of waders this week. Saturday saw a visit from a Wood Sandpiper - always an added bonus for your bird list. Thanks to John Crispin who managed to sneak in a shot of this bird:

Other waders being seen regularly include Whimbrel. Varying numbers of these being reported throughout the week peaking at as many as 30 - perhaps roosting as often seen earlier in the day rather than later. Thanks once again to John Crispin for his shots taken this week:

The Spotted Redshank was still being seen this week. It was present on Wednesday and starting get get its much darker breeding plumage. Common Redshank is also present and can be heard calling throughout the day. 

Lapwing are also calling and displaying (I think 2 pairs). They have also been seen chasing off other birds - always a good sign. On Wednesday alone Lapwing were seen chasing of a Red Kite, Carrion Crow and a Magpie which had perched in the small willow tree on the islands. 

Also recorded in this area this week include a single Ruff, a few Snipe, small groups of Black Tailed Godwits (up to 9 seen) and up to 3 Little Ringed Plover - thanks to John Crispin for his photos. Note the yellow ring visible around they eye - one of the main differences I believe between this and Ringed Plover - correct me if I'm wrong:

Look out here too for Garganey. Late last week there were 4 males and a single female but during this week just a single male reported. A pair have also been seen over on the eastern half of Waltons. They both flew into the area on Wednesday, although were also spotted here last week. Thanks to John Crispin for his image of the female:

Plenty of other ducks are out on the water including several Teal which are still present. Also look out for a good number of Pochard spread across the reserve, Gadwall, Mallard, Tufted Duck and Shoveler. Some small groups of ducklings have been seen - mostly Mallard I believe and there have also been broods of Coot and Mallard spotted included some lovely young Moorhen chicks in the car park pools. 

There has been some predation of eggs. A walk around some of our trails will show this with a scattering of egg shells - Carrion Crow one of the most likely suspects. 

This Wood Pigeon was also seen carrying half an egg shell (Thanks to John Crispin for his photo). I'm guessing this is just removing a hatched egg out of its nest. Stock Dove are also breeding on the reserve:

Lots of other birds are well underway with their breeding season. Grey Herons who naturally start a lot earlier than most have been witnessed feeding well grown youngsters in the Waltons reedbeds - there are several nests dotted about in this area. Great Crested Grebes have been seen with chicks in front of VP2 and some Canada Geese were swimming with around 6 youngsters this week on the way to the Avalon Hide.

Marsh Harriers are at various stages - some seen carrying food to a nest site to feed young birds or a female sat on eggs, whilst another male out to the north east of the reserve was carrying food and calling to a female - it felt more like courtship still on this occasion. This would mean were are up to 4 or perhaps 5 nests/pairs for this season - needs confirming through our surveying.

Other birds are at the nest building stage. Chiffchaffs have been seen carrying nesting material during the week.

Others are still perching up high and calling for a mate or even still arriving on our shores. Cettis Warblers have been seen this week perching up high and singing quite obviously - I think this behaviour likely to change quite dramatically once they find a mate. 

Arrivals include good numbers of hirundines - Sand Martin, Swallow and House Martin. All were present at VP1 yesterday so a good exercise in telling the differences between them. More Swift have also been counted on the reserve this week - listen out for their screaming calls to alert you of their presence. 

Many warblers are in good song, including the Chiffchaffs already mentioned. More Garden Warblers are now being heard to join the throng of Blackcaps, Willow Warblers and Whitethroats.

This Whitethroat is taking its place at a traditional territory - in the brambles directly opposite VP1 - as always John Crispin was on hand to take this action shot of a Whitethroat in full song. Look out for their parachuting flights as they sing sometimes:

In the reedbeds you will hear the growing chatter of Reed Warblers and some Sedge Warblers as they pour into the country. They join the Cettis warblers and Reed Buntings that are already present and you may be lucky enough to hear the "pinging" of Bearded Tits - although these are very elusive - best bet is to try near the Avalon Hide. 

With Reed Warblers arriving come the Cuckoos - they parasitize these birds as one of their main hosts - hence we tend to have quite good numbers of Cuckoo at this time of year. Listen out for them during your visit - they could be heard from the car park yesterday.

Along with the warblers along the main path and tree line listen out for and enjoy the dawn chorus - it carries on into the day of course too. Song Thrush can be heard singing loudly along with the beautiful song of the blackbird. Add to this Robin, various tits and finches and birds such as Goldcrest and your getting a great chorus.

Also spotted along the main path this week include: Treecreeper, Bullfinch, Dunnock and Redpoll. Some male Redpoll have been spotted with their lovely bright red breeding plumage. Thanks to John Crispin again for his shot of Lesser Redpoll taken this week:

Hobby are beginning to arrive - numbers will grow I suspect - in ones and twos at Ham Wall but 15 seen together over on neighbouring Shapwick Heath this week. Plenty of flying insects but no real sign of any dragonflies yet. Maybe this slightly chillier spell hasn't given them that trigger they need to emerge. A few damselflies have been seen. The one's I've spotted have been very shiny - very newly emerged, so hard to ID. Sightings from visitors include Variable, Large Red and Blue Tailed. 

Thanks to Giles Morris for his photos taken from our back catalogue to give you some clues as to what to look for (Variable and Large Red):

Quite good numbers of butterflies can be seen too including: Speckled Wood, Green Veined White, Small White, Brimstone, Red Admiral, Peacock and Orange Tip - all seen this week. I've noticed this year a lot more Cuckoo Flower growing both on Ham Wall and the local area - good news for the Orange Tip as this is their main food plant. I think the grubs feed on these stems and then overwinter as a chrysalis.

Thanks to Giles for another one of his back catalogue photos of orange tip:

Some other very interesting sightings over last weekend - I missed them all of course as I wasn't working. A White Stork flew over on Saturday along with a couple of Common Cranes. A Red Rumped Swallow was also recorded on the same day.

On Sunday, a Pied Fly catcher was spotted by a couple of our volunteers - not sure of the location but I think it was along the main track - there are some photos on Twitter. 

There are also a few photos of 4 Glossy Ibis which appeared on Tuesday. The single bird of last week had disappeared over the weekend. They didn't stay long - by Wednesday afternoon 3 and later a fourth were spotted over at Chew Valley Lake - a little way to the north of us. 

Also this week: Great Spotted Woodpeckers seen and heard drumming very loudly, Kingfisher spotted from the old rail bridge, Raven seen flying over the car park yesterday, Grass Snakes seen sunning themselves on banks and on the edges of trails, small groups of Roe Deer  seen to the north of the reserve in fields, Buzzards seen daily, one or two Red Kite Sightings and this Little Gull seen and photographed by John Crispin this week. There is also a black headed gull in the photos for a size comparison - thanks John:

That's it for this week. well that was supposed to be a shorter, quicker blog. Didn't happen did it - never mind it just proves there's so much to talk about at this awesome place - have a great Bank Holiday Weekend!