Another pleasant week weather-wise with some lovely warm sunny spells interspersed with foggy and frosty mornings. It certainly has a feel of spring at about it at times but, as always, I'm expecting a rude awakening at some point where we may feel an icy blast or have some chaotic weather. 

I will enjoy it while it's here though and make the most of it. On those frosty mornings watch out for the numerous chiffchaffs which seem to come out of the trees and feed in the icy grasses on the edges of paths as the sun comes through. I'm guessing these areas are the first to get the sun so I can't blame them. They often move on ahead of you as you walk along - look out for them - not always on their own. I have frequently seen small groups of 4 or 5 together. Thanks to Robin Morrison who has sent me 2 chiffchaff photos. One in their normal abode in the trees and the second down in the frosty grass:

Chiffchaffs: Robin Morrison.

Early mornings are probably the best time to hear those early booming bitterns. I've heard several at different locations this week - still not quite full booms but certainly doing multiple sets of calls with one on the north completing a sequence of 6. One was heard over in the Waltons section this morning. A couple of flights have been recorded from the first viewing platform this week (VP1), with one individual flying right up to the north east corner of the reserve (this is where my 6 in a row bird was calling on Wednesday). Booming should become more and more evident as we approach March.

The glossy Ibis seem to enjoy Ham Wall in the mornings with several visits this week (including yesterday and this morning) but I'm not sure they are hanging around during the day. Try VP1 or over on the cut islands at Waltons. Thanks to Andrew Kirby who sent in his images (I did subtly hint in last week's blog) that were taken last Friday morning (3rd) on the Waltons island opposite the last of the 3 screens including one snacking on a frog. Beautiful colours when the light is just right:

When scanning the islands in Waltons (including from the Tor View Hide) take a real close look for any snipe which maybe hidden away - they blend in really well and you may not see them with the naked eye or a quick scan over. John Crispin managed to capture these in flight this week. Thanks John: 

Plenty of duck to look out for too with good numbers of teal, mallard and gadwall to seek out amongst the hundreds of shoveler which have gathered here. Thanks to both Robin Morrison and Andrew Kirby for sending in their shots taken this week: 

Shoveler: Robin Morrison. 

Look out on the raft in Waltons for this feisty young mute swan who was keen to take ownership of it according to Robin Morrison, who also sent in a picture of this young pretender. Thanks Robin:

Juvenile mute swan: Robin Morrison.

A couple of pairs of great crested grebes are still present including the pair who were up to all sorts of shenanigans in last weeks blog. This week a more serene photograph from Andrew Kirby of one catching some lunch. Thanks Andrew:

This week it was the grey herons who were unabashed as they showed their own public display of affection. Thanks to both John Crispin and Robin Morrison who sent in their shots:

There are several pairs looking to set up home in the Waltons reedbeds - although they are considered by many to be tree nesters they will take readily to places like reedbeds, where there is a lack of suitable trees. Look out for them carrying sticks to make nesting platforms like this fellow snapped by John Crispin this week. Thanks John: 

Marsh harriers have also been seen interacting this week with some aerial displays (as last week) and it seems that most visitors are seeing them quite readily on their visits. I have been watching a male quite frequently hunting over Waltons - so one of the first things you see as you walk onto the reserve which is nice. Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of an interaction between male and female, a female coming into land on the bush visible from VP1 and to Andrew Kirby for his shots of a female taken from the Tor View Hide this week: 

You can also see, usually, marsh harriers from the Avalon Hide. The path has flooded again - we are pumping hard and reduced water flowing into this area so the pumps should soon catch back up and clear the path. I haven't tried to get up there myself - it still looked wet yesterday but wellies might do it (but don't quote me on this). My feeling is this should clear in a couple of days and return easier access. 

You can get as far as the wood at the very least where both tawny owl and great spotted woodpecker were heard calling yesterday. A tawny owl has been heard calling close to the car park this week too. 

I would normally send people to the Avalon Hide area for one of the best chances to se or hear bearded tits too but they were both seen and heard within the Loxtons area on Monday so you could try there.

Remember to check out the car park area and the tree lines on the main path - there are all kinds of interesting birds to see here and can increase your bird list quite substantially with a bit of patience. Look out for: bullfinch, goldcrest, song thrush, fieldfare, redwing, blackcap, mixed tit/finch flocks, friendly robins, coal tit and perhaps even a treecreeper. A firecrest was spotted in the car park area this week - check out the trees around both of the boardwalk bridges that exit the car park at each end. 

Siskin and redpoll were spotted close to VP2 this week (check out the tops of the alder trees) and gangs of long tailed tits following all the tree lines - always a delight to see. Some were behaving a bit differently yesterday - perching on a tree and then flying out and hovering for a few seconds before returning to a perch - catching flies/midges perhaps? Unless it's some kind of displaying - they do nest quite early I believe. 

This redwing was spotted foraging amongst the leaf litter close to the Waltons screens this week. I remember a week or so ago a cettis warbler doing something similar in full view of visitors. Thanks to John Crispin for his photo: 

Also this week: 7 Bewick swans dropped into the area in front of VP1 in the mist on Tuesday but didn't stay long, yesterday 3 Egyptian geese were present in the same place but flew to the south (perhaps towards the Sharpham/Long Drove area where they have been previously), the lesser scaup still present at Long Drove this morning, American Wigeon still being reported from Shapwick Heath, drake garganey reported from VP2 on a few occasions this week, kingfishers seen by several visitors (try Waltons, the old railway bridge or VP1) raven seen flying over on a few occasions, sparrowhawk seen from VP1 early in the week and a kestrel seen over the car park. 

Starlings have spent the whole week so far over on Shapwick Heath and are likely to stay there (again don't quote me). I actually don't have an exact location but still suggest parking at Ham Wall and walking across the road. Parking is very limited at the other end of Shapwick Heath. My advice to people, for what it's worth, would be to loiter around the bridge area on the main track and then you can be reactive to where they go. The alternative of course is to stand with the crowd or find someone who has already watched them this week and knows the most likely location. Avoid the weekends if you can - it still gets very busy and the car parks were full at lunchtime or so on Sunday and this causes big problems on the small local roads. 

Almost there but I should never forget the very beautiful great white egret. It's easy to forget that 15 years or so ago they were an absolute rarity here. Well they are certainly here to stay and are hard to miss on a visit. Thanks to Robin Morrison for his shot taken on Monday:

I'd better stop there - the time is always chasing me. Thanks for reading and have a wonderful weekend, whatever you do.