Some wonderful spring days this week but also a hell of a lot of rain - absolutely torrential at times. The main drain through the reserve got so high that it over topped and sent water running over the grass footpath back into some sections of the reserve. 

This creates a few problems obviously. For one it means we have to stop pumping as our outfall pipe is mostly underwater, so we are holding back water as well as it running back in. We have also blocked a couple of sluices up to try and slow water down from backing up on the inner rhyne (drain). This meant that the Avalon Hide pat had not flooded as of yesterday, but with us still unable to pump until the main drain drops it may get to that point - just to make you aware. One of us will get back in over the weekend and turn on our pumps at the earliest opportunity. I think some parts of Somerset had a months rain in less than 2 days.

The other thing we need to be concerned about is nests getting flooded out - another reason to get pumps on as soon as possible. From the first viewing platform (VP1) we know we have nesting Lapwing and they have been joined this week by a mini colony of Black Headed Gulls numbering around 30. We think currently there are 4 nests underway.

With birds nesting in close proximity to each other there is bound to be conflict. Lapwing and Black Headed Gulls are notoriously feisty at nesting time and there have been quite a few incidents of Lapwing chasing of the gulls and visa versa as I witnessed yesterday. Lets hope they can put there differences aside and team up to chase off any potential predators which come too close.

Yesterday a Lapwing chase after a male Marsh Harrier which came to close - very brave. It chased it quite a way west - so far in fact that they disappeared over the road and out of sight over Shapwick Heath. 

Look out amongst the gulls for a Mediterranean Gull. It was seen amongst them on Wednesday. I think I saw it too fly over the wood near the Avalon Hide (I didn't get a great view). It called in flight and I remember thinking that it definitely wasn't a Black Headed Gull - it had me thinking Little Gull as we have had some over too recently, but I researched the call of Med Gull and think that's what t was - a first for me at Ham Wall I think. A first here for John Crispin too, who took these photos - thanks John:

I've tried to look at the main differences between Black Headed and Med Gulls - here's what I think. Please feel free to disagree. 

They (Med Gulls) are generally a little stockier. They also have a white ring around the eye and seem to have a slightly thicker bill and thicker legs. There is more black on the head and less or no black on the ends of the wings. That's probably made it as clear as mud but I've given it a go.

VP1 has continued to be one of the best places to be at the moment. A pair of Redshank are still present - hopefully an indication of breeding. They did breed last year but it was sad to see that one of there fully grown chicks was taken by a Marsh Harrier. Better luck this year!

Other waders have been seen throughout the week. The large numbers of Ruff (large for us at least ) slowly dissipated and there were 12 (pictured in flight) last Friday (5th) but the last few days has seen none. Black Tailed Godwits seem to vary in number each day from as little as 2 to as many as 30, whilst a few Whimbrel are also being recorded - there were 3 there yesterday afternoon. Late last week still saw at least 1 Wood Sandpiper and a Green Sandpiper was reported to me on Tuesday.

VP1 also saw another act of conflict and aggression this week as the following (and rather brilliant) photo sequence shows. Two Great White Egrets have a right scrap - I wouldn't want to be on the end of that beak personally. Thanks to John Crispin for these amazing images:

VP1 has also seen a male Garganey feeding on several occasions this week - a female nesting nearby perhaps?

Bitterns too have been seen quite frequently from here. One was sat in the reedbeds to the west (left) calling quite consistently yesterday (the gull like call - not booming). Birds are still booming daily - a wonderful noise that drifts across the reedbeds - early mornings are generally better but do boom in the daytime too.

The same behaviour can be attributed to the Great Reed Warbler. It was still on site yesterday and was singing well during the morning - there are lots of photos and recordings on Twitter if you want to familiarise yourself with it. It's loud and proud that's for sure. 

It went a bit quieter yesterday afternoon and some visitors came back saying that they hadn't seen it. I've not been out on site this morning either so I can't update you any further - hopefully he is still present and singing proudly. 

Lots of other warblers are present on site of course. Reed and Sedge Warblers are noisily chattering in and around the reedbeds along with the very punchy call of the Cettis Warbler which seems to pierce through everything sometimes.

From VP1 look out for the Whitethroat singing from the brambles opposite and in the surrounding tree lines and woodlands Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers, Blackcaps and Garden Warblers are all adding their voices to the impressive chorus around the reserve. 

These latter two can sound very similar but there are some subtle differences which can help. I think Garden Warblers tend to be slightly more scratchy in song and a little more rushed. They also tend to sig in longer bursts with less distinct phrases. That's my take on it but you can't beat having both singing close to you at the same time - if you can see them then all the better. Thanks to John Crispin for his shots of Garden Warbler taken this week. The second one showing it singing in full flow:

Some birds are still singing for a mate or to defend a territory - other birds are much further down the line. Grey Herons nest very early and are in the reed beds at Waltons due to the lack of suitable trees in the area. Most of these nests now have very well grown youngsters - listen out for the noise of juvenile birds when the adults return with food. 

Some broods of birds can be seen out on the water including: Mallard, Great Crested Grebe, Coot, Canada Goose and Moorhen - all seen this week. In fact, young Moorhens can be seen in the first of the car park ponds as you leave the parking area. I saw them there in full view yesterday. Thank you to Sheila Jordan who also spotted them and sent in the following photos: 

Of course, some birds are still arriving on our shores ahead of breeding season. Cuckoos can be heard calling daily across the reserve and even from the car park, a few hundred Swift have been arriving throughout the week and a good number of Hobby are being seen each day. There was a possibility of a Pacific Swift being spotted last Friday - has a white rump I think. A similar bird was also spotted yesterday - but it could equally have been a leucistic (at least partially)  bird that was seen - keep an eye out and see what you think if it passes your way.

Hobbies are coinciding their arrival with the greater emergence of dragonflies and damselflies on the reserve. For damselflies look out for: Variable, Azure, Blue Tailed and Large Red. There are fewer dragonflies. Any with a longer tail are likely to be Hairy Dragonfly at the moment although this will soon change. Broad Bodied Chasers have also been spotted with fresh new colours - shorter with a wider body (blue for male yellow for female). Also look out for the first of our Four Spotted Chasers also recorded this week. As the name suggests they have extra spots on their wings - other dragonflies do not have these so it's a bit of a giveaway. In a couple of weeks we could potentially have thousands - if it's a good year. They roost together in large numbers often around the southern end on Waltons. 

Thanks to Sheila Jordan for her shots of Hairy Dragonfly taken recently at Ham Wall:

Butterflies may well suffer with the wetter weather but look out for: Orange Tip, Peacock, Brimstone, Green Veined White, Speckled Wood, Holly Blue and Small White. Thanks again to Sheila Jordan for sending in her recently taken shots of Orange Tip and Small White Butterfly:

Also this week: 2 fox cubs seen in the vicinity of the earth I mentioned in last weeks blog, Roe deer also spotted grazing on grassy tracks around the reserve, Ravens calling to the north-east of the reserve from a nest site - perhaps the juveniles are fledging, Great Spotted Woodpeckers seen daily, Green Woodpeckers heard daily, Stock Doves heard calling from the old rail bridge, Barn Owl seen hunting on the southern end of the reserve beyond Waltons on Monday, Tawny Owl seen from the Avalon Hide (at the box in the wood behind), Sparrowhawk flew past VP1 on Tuesday, Buzzards and Crows together (more conflict) close to Avalon Hide on Tuesday, lots of Marsh Harrier activity around the reserve including a female carrying nesting material from VP2 and Iberian Water frogs calling at both Waltons and Loxtons this week. 

I'm going to have to leave it there for now - I have to leave early today for an appointment. Before I go, the Visitor Experience Team have asked me to let you know about a few events that we have coming up this month:

First - calling photography enthusiasts on 20 May we have an 'Introduction to Macro Photography' session delivered in partnership with professional photographer Victoria Hillman. We will look at different ideas and techniques in macro photography from close-ups to in habitat images and how and when to use additional light without using a flash. Don't miss this opportunity to develop your skills and capture stunning shots of nature!

Next up on 22 May we have a guided walk looking for ‘Spring Wildlife at RSPB Ham Wall’. With so much activity happening at the reserve from bitterns, cuckoos, hobbies and the various different warbles it’s a fantastic time to visit. Our guides will help you sort the reed warblers from the sedge warblers and the chiffchaffs from the willow warblers.   

And finally on 26 May we’re running a ‘Dragon and Damselfly Guided Walked at RSPB Ham Wall’. We’ll be seeing how many different species we can spot, and our expert guides will be on hand to show the tricks to tell the different species apart.

To see our other events or to find out more information and book your space on one of the events above follow this link: https://events.rspb.org.uk/hamwall

Thanks for reading as always and for all those who contribute photos and information - it's a massive help. 

Have a wonderful weekend!