Despite the heat each day many birds are still busy across the reserve. I guess when there are hungry mouths to feed you have no choice. 

The feeling is that earlier in the day before the temperatures really rise activity is more intense although some birds seem to be active all day.  Marsh Harriers are a good example of this - they seem to just keep going (must have some very demanding youngsters). Good activity reported from the Avalon Hide, more distantly from the second viewing platform (VP2) and from VP1 where one of our resident males is particularly busy and showing well. Thanks to John Crispin for his photo taken this week:

A food pass was witnessed on Tuesday from VP1. The male came in with prey - hard to tell exactly what it is, perhaps a young Moorhen - and dropped it to the female, who proceeded immediately to the nest. Thanks again to John for his pictures:

Other birds of prey have been seen this week too, with a couple more sightings of Red Kite this week - becoming far more frequent these days - great birds to see.  Buzzards are seen daily, often being harassed by gulls or Carrion Crows (saw one carry an egg this morning), a Sparrowhawk was seen from the Avalon Hide this morning along with 2 Barn Owls seen out hunting over to wards the wind pump. It was most likely one of these that was seen in the window of the owl box to the left of the hide on Sunday night during an evening walk. They will be busy feeding owlets at this time of year.

A Tawny Owl was heard calling in the woods near the Avalon Hide, also on Sunday night and has been seen in the box behind the hide to the right (in front of the wood) recently. Hobbies are also being seen daily although not in abundance despite the huge numbers of dragonflies and damselflies being spotted. 

The Four Spotted Chasers are still widespread across the reserve with a large main roost along the eastern side of Waltons at the southern end. This variant form known as Praenubila was photographed by Jackie Curtis this week. It's a much rarer form and not seen very often. They have much more pronounced spots as you will see from her photo. It is thought that they occur in some individuals when water temperatures are high during larva development. Thanks Jackie: 

You'll potentially see hundreds of these of these during your visit - all feeding mainly on midges, gnats and mosquitoes. 

Plenty of other species to get acquainted with too such as Black Tailed Skimmer, Scarce Chaser, Emperor and Broad Bodied Chaser. You may see the last of any airy Dragonflies too but being the first to emerge they may well all be done by now. 

Some other good reports include the first of the years Brown Hawkers and the first Ruddy Darters - which I thought was very early. Also sighting of a Lesser Emperor, a migrant,  (seen near VP1/Waltons area) - look out for a blue saddle to ID this one and a possible Norfolk Hawker which I thought I saw. I then reported this to one of our dragonfly surveyors whilst he was on his transect and he thought he saw the same dragonfly just minutes after me - neither of us 100% confident though - keep your eye out for them. 

Damselflies are also out in force. look out for: Variable, Common Blue, Azure, Red Eyed, Blue tailed and Banded Demoiselle. Also a possible Downy Emerald although the nearest place these are known to be is up in pools on the top of the Mendips - but you never know do you. More eyes out there looking can only be a good thing. 

Eyes and ears (particularly for this one) out for another possible sighting of the Great Reed Warbler which popped up on Bird Guide this week. If he is still there or returned he is much quieter this time round - this as not been confirmed but I'll repeat - you never know!

Plenty of other insect life to look out for with Elder at the car park being visited by hoverflies and bumblebees and I've seen a few hornets this week. It's butterfly numbers which seem low. I only saw 2 individuals on my transect this week: one Speckled Wood and one Red Admiral. I did see a Peacock off my transect but otherwise poor. My only other sightings this week were a Brimstone and a very tatty and pale looking Comma (at the end of its days). 

Reed Warblers are still chattering away in the reed beds with a few Sedge Warblers here and there (generally a little more crazy sounding and varied in their calls - not a patch on a Great Reed Warbler though). Cettis Warblers are also still calling loudly - it's hard to miss them and Reed Buntings are still pretty vocal but not present in large numbers - I could hear one calling consistently near the Tor View Hide this morning. Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of this Reed Warbler which was by the car park pools singing away this week:

Bird song is a massive help when it comes to ID's of birds. The main path is a great place to pick up the many varied songs of birds. Just standing by VP1 today I could hear: Robin, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Garden Warbler, Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler - wonderful to hear so many sweet and varied songs. I could also hear the song of the Whitethroat. Normally you can see and hear him opposite the platform but it was perched up in nearby trees on this occasion. Thanks to John Crispin who snapped this individual during the week - a very acrobatic bird by the looks of things:

In front of VP1 is quite busy too. The Black Headed Gulls are adding there usual hustle and bustle and plenty of noise. They and small groups of Lapwing are still doing their best to chase of any perceived threats - often corvids, other gulls or Marsh harriers. We will continue to monitor these carefully - it's a bird which has suffered greatly due to avian flu and this is our first ever colony and could well be a first successful breeding record for Somerset. 

There was one ringed individual photographed by John Crispin recently. He has kindly found out some information about this bird:

The following is from the site warden - 'The bird was ringed as a pullus in our colony on the reserve on 18th June 2022 - Kingfisher Bridge Nature Reserve, Wicken, Cambs - TL5472. 2022 was the first year that we have colour ringed the pulli and is a five year scheme. However due to possible bird flu in the colony no birds will be ringed during this years breeding season.

We have had birds disperse to the west coast of Ireland, the Midlands, north-east and north-west England and to Spain.'

Also present at VP1 this week have been Redshank, with at least 2 birds being seen and heard regularly - hopefully this is leading to breeding success. Thanks once again to John Crispin for his action shot:

Black Tailed Godwits have also been present for much of the week, although the regrowth of reed makes it hard to see them. You will have to wait for some kind of disturbance to see what totals around 25-30 birds. Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of a group and an individual both taken this week:

Another nice surprise on VP1 this morning was the short visit from 2 Common Terns - great to have them. we are looking to obtain some new tern rafts ready for next season to try and encourage them to stay and breed should they be passing through (they have done this in the past). Thanks as ever to John Crispin for his great images taken this very morning - hot off the press:

VP1 has also been quite a good place to see Bitterns lately, although I have to confess to not seeing one there this morning. However, one was seen flying directly over the car park this morning (as was a Great White Egret) and a visitor reported seeing 2 together in flight from the Avalon Hide this morning along with a third bird away to one side at the same time. He also had 2 further sightings of single birds in his time at the hide. 

Also seen this week: a pair of Swans with 4 cygnets at Waltons, Little Grebes from VP2, audible Water Rails this morning but alas no sightings, green Woodpecker heard throughout the week and seen flying across the car park on Tuesday whilst a Great Spotted Woodpecker flew across this morning (drumming heard near the Avalon Hide wood), Swallows at the car park (seen investigating the shelter like last year when they nested but no further action as yet), a female roe deer disturbed accidentally in long grass and 2 fawns discovered (the volunteer left immediately), other Roe Deer seen quite frequently on tracks and trails this week, Cuckoos still calling most mornings (including this morning) and occasional flights seen by a lucky few, Grey Herons still dropping into the Waltons reedbeds to feed what must be very well grown young by now and Great Crested Grebes seen with Waltons in particular - a pair nesting again on the far side from the Waltons screens and another pair seen from the Tor View Hide to the west. These young birds were seen to the east - one of them getting in some practice for some future weed dancing already? Thanks to John Crispin once again for his image:

That's it for this week but before I go here's some news from the Visitor Experience Team about a couple of upcoming events you may be interested in:

Men’s wellbeing walk at RSPB Ham Wall

To coincide with men’s health week (10 – 17 June 2023), we are hosting a men’s wellbeing walk around RSPB Ham Wall. This walk provides an opportunity for men to come together and experience nature and all that it has to offer at RSPB Ham Wall. As well as benefitting your physical health, being outside in nature can also benefit your mental wellbeing. The charity ‘Mind’ explains how it can improve your mood, reduce feelings of stress and anger, and feel more relaxed.

Join us for a 10.30am start for a 2.5 hour guided walk around the reserve, taking in the beauty of the reserve at springtime. As we explore the reserve, we might hear the delightful croaking song of Iberian water frogs, the boom of a male bittern or see darting dragonflies. 

Pond dipping and bug hunting for dads

There’s a secret world hidden all around us, full of amazing creatures...

This is a fun activity aimed at exploring our different habitats and the creatures which live there! This is a special Father's Day event, aimed at families with children aged between 5-12 years.

Each booking allows a maximum of 4 people to pond dip and bug hunt.  A minimum of one adult (aged 18 +) is required per booking. Dads go free!

Please see our events page for more information and to book any of the above events - https://events.rspb.org.uk/hamwall

That's it for this week. Thanks for reading and have a wonderful weekend!