Sorry about the absent blog last week - I simply had too much to do last week (I had been on a course for 2 days) and just ran out of time. But it's back this week - Hooray! There's lets to report despite it creeping towards what I think is the quietest time of year (for birds) on the reserve. In fact it's pretty quiet in terms of visitors too. I guess when the weather is hot, the wildlife is a bit quieter and many people head for the coast. 

Let's see if I can persuade you to pay us a visit by telling you what's been spotted this week. 

Marsh Harriers have been busy lately and we are finally seeing the fruits of their labours with juveniles spotted at at least 2 nest locations (with more to follow I'm sure). 23 juveniles spotted from the north of the reserve whilst the nest between the first viewing platform (VP1) and the Avalon Hide has produced 2. These have been observed from the Hide with parents partaking in food passes and other aerial interactions as they begin to learn the art of flying, hunting and of course landing - they can look a little clumsy sometimes. This female came in with food which the ended up in a bit of a squabble between the siblings; Thanks to Andrew Kirby for his photos 

Thanks also to John Crispin who sent in his shots of juveniles from the Avalon Hide on Wednesday. Note the much browner appearance of the birds and the giveaway ginger cap:

Another of our star birds, the Bittern has also been busy feeding youngsters at various locations - fledging here is a lot less obvious given the usual secretive nature of these birds. You may see very short quick flights around the known nest areas but you just need to be watching on the right day really. Other than that it's constant recording over several weeks watching behaviour to establish nesting success. 

It's a credit to all the hard work put in over the years that we are thinking of scaling back the amount of nest monitoring we do in the future - bitterns are no longer considered to be "on the brink" it means we can spend more time monitoring and learning about other species, including non avian to help us manage the reserve to benefit as many species as possible. 

Several flights seen from VP1 yesterday.

Thanks to John Crispin for his shots of Bitterns taken last week - one in the air and one in the reeds:

Their close relation, the Great White Egret, are a common sight these days on the reserve. One was feeding in front of the Avalon Hide this morning and you can often see them flying over the car park too. VP1 is usually a good place but the reed growth as always has cut down these views. Once breeding season fully over we will once again begin to drain down this area and open up the views once more for the Autumn/Winter spectacle (let's get summer over with first I hear you cry). 

The Great white Egrets have had great success again this season - many birds are leaving nests currently. One nest of 4 on Ham Wall will be the first of that number if all goes well. There was some concern for the runt of the brood but some great parenting has meant that it too now looks large and healthy and ready to leave soon - great news. I believe as many as 16 have been ringed this year - I'll bring you some updates and figures at the end of the season. 

Meanwhile, thank you to Kevin Bowers and Sheila Jordan who sent in photos taken from visits in the past week:

Great White Egret: Kevin Bowers

Little Egrets can be seen occasionally also but seem to be a rarer sight at Ham Wall although 2 were seen from VP2 on Monday. 

The reedbeds at Waltons seem to be a bit quieter, so perhaps some of the Grey Heron chicks have fledged - they seem to take an eternity some years. You may still hear some calling in the reeds so keep your ears open - I think all the sounds of the wildlife really add to the experience.

Thanks again to Kevin Bowers for his Grey Heron shot taken on Saturday:

Plenty of other youngsters are visible around the reserve. A family of Magpies are hanging around close to the car park, juvenile Long Tailed Tits and Goldfinches have been spotted and there are young Moorhens in the ponds at the car park as Kevin Bowers photo shows. Thanks Kevin:

At the Avalon Hide this morning you could see several young Coot with parents and Little Grebe also. Thanks to Kevin Bowers and Andrew Kirby for their shots taken this week:

Coot and Little Grebe: Kevin Bowers

Great Crested Grebes are still being seen with juveniles in tow (try Waltons) but there was also a very short weed dance from a pair in front of the Avalon Hide last week. A bit of neck swaying and presenting of weeds to each other. One also chase of a well grown juvenile and they appeared to be nest building again. Thanks to Penny Broomhall for her observations and for sending in some proof:

Thanks also to Kevin Bowers for his shot taken on Saturday, also from the Avalon Hide:

Some young birds maybe easy to spot but we were lucky enough to see 2 young fawn roe deer hiding in the grasses (to the west of the Avalon Hide area). They seemed to just sit motionless as we drove out truck quite close. "If I don't move you can't see me". I'm sure their mother wasn't too far away.

You can sometimes see Roe Deer around some of the grassy pathways and trails. Kevin Bowers saw this one around the Waltons trail on Saturday (1st). Thanks Kevin:

A young looking Badger was also seen scurrying along the track in front of us last week as we cut an access track. There are a few setts dotted around the reserve and local area but I don't see Badgers that often.

A young Adder was spotted by a visitor close to the old rail bridge on Saturday and a young Grass Snake was reported swimming in a ditch between Waltons and Loxtons this morning. Grass Snakes are quite common on the reserve and completely harmless. They can often be seen swimming ( a swimming adder is far less likely). The old rail bridge can be a good place to see them - although fewer sightings here this week. Thanks again to Kevin Bowers who snapped this Grass Snake on the main track on Saturday: 

Butterflies seem to be more abundant over the last couple of weeks after what seemed to be a disastrous spell before that with very few being seen. We've had some great sightings too of some slightly more unusual ones. A Purple Hairstreak was spotted in the oak tree (their preferred habitat) by the second viewing platform on Wednesday and the same day a White Admiral was seen just a little further down by the closed bridge. A Painted Lady was also spotted by some visitors this morning not long after leaving the car park. Thanks to Andrew Kirby for getting this shot of the Purple Hairstreak - a great sighting for us:

Lots of the "usual suspects" too with plenty of Meadow Brown and Gatekeeper being seen - I took this photo by the car park picnic benches on Wednesday:

Add to this several Red Admirals - very fresh looking, Green Veined White, Small White, Brimstone, Speckled Wood, Peacock, Comma, Common Blue and Ringlet for a much better list than 2 weeks ago.

Thanks to Sheila Jordan for her shot of Small Tortoiseshell and to Kevin Bowers for his Red Admiral image taken on the main track on one of the new benches by the looks of it: 

Sheila has also sent us an image of a White Plume Moth - I often see these on my travels. Thanks Sheila:

There has been plenty of anecdotal evidence of the lack of insects this year - I have noticed this myself, although the last couple of weeks seem to be slightly better. Certain areas with good nectar sources have been fascinating to watch as busy insects such as bees and hoverflies go about their business. Some flies and beetles are beautiful when seen close up. Thanks to Andrew Kirby who captured these wonderful images of a female Square Spot Deer Fly (Chrysops viduatus);

Dragonflies and damselflies are very abundant and you can get quite a list on close inspection. Emperors are our largest and can be quite easy to spot - look for the apple green thorax and blue tail. Lesser Emperor have also been seen this week - a vagrant species which is becoming more common each year. Four spotted Chasers are still around but in far fewer numbers. Many I am seeing look washed out of colour and it's hard even to see the extra spots on the wings. I think Sheila Jordan's photo shows this well:

Last week saw a big emergence of Common Darter as I walked around on the Monday (26th). Many very fresh looking and not flying as efficiently as they do normally. Ruddy Darters emerged very early this year and I saw a copulating pair by the bridge towards the Avalon Hide this morning.

Brown Hawkers are a fairly easy ID - as their mane suggests they are brown but their wings have a brown sheen too.  Black Tailed Skimmers and Scarce Chasers are also quite common with the odd Southern Hawker and a report of a possible Migrant Hawker this morning (first of the season). 

For damselflies you may see: Common blue, Azure, Variable, Blue Tailed (another quite large emergence this week), Red Eyed and Banded Demoiselle.

I'd better start wrapping this up soon - who said July was quiet on the reserve?

It's quieter in terms of bird song but today I could hear Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Robin, Blackbird, Goldfinch, Great Tit and Blue Tit all singing and there is plenty of calling from young birds out on the water. 

In the reed beds you may still hear the chatter of reed warbler and the occasional screech of Water Rail or the punchy call of the Cettis Warbler. 

On the scrubby edges you may see Whitethroat (brambles opposite VP1) or Sedge Warbler - look out for the eye stripe. Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of Sedge Warbler in flight: 

Also this week: Barn Owl seen out hunting during the evenings and at about 10am on Wednesday morning, Hobbies seen most days including 2 from VP1 this morning and 2 over the car park on Monday, Buzzards seen flying high on thermals over the car park yesterday and today, Sparrowhawk from the Avalon Hide this morning, Jays seen around the car park, Great Spotted Woodpecker seen daily, Treecreeper seen around Loxtons on Wednesday, Red Kites over the reserve last week, Wigeon reported from the Avalon Hide but didn't see it there this morning and Swifts seen flying overhead on most days. 

I'll have to leave it there I'm afraid - as always time is against me. Thanks for reading and have a great weekend - perhaps pop to the reserve to see what you can see and let us know your wonderful sightings.

Have a great weekend!