With the sun shining for most of the week it's been wonderful to be out on the reserve and see so many butterflies - a stark contrast to a few weeks ago where they were almost non existent. The second generations of Red Admiral and Peacock in particular are the most common with some pristine looking specimens. Small Tortoiseshell however, often so abundant for us at this time of year, seem significantly reduced - weather patterns at just the wrong time maybe having an effect here.

There are some around though, along with: Comma, Green Veined White, Large White, Small White, Brimstone, Common Blue, Speckled Wood, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown & a Painted Lady spotted at the car park. The pink/red flowers of the Hemp Agrimony seem to be the most attractive for the butterflies. One particular bush around the back of the Waltons trail had well over 30 individuals feeding on it. Lovely to see. 

Thanks to Sandie Andrews for her photos of Green Veined White, Comma and Brimstone all taken this week:

Plenty of pollinators on the flowering plants too - lots of beetles, hoverflies and of course bees. I know some bees but I might be wrong with my ID's. Thanks to Sandie again for her shots of Common Carder bee and shot of what is either a White tailed of Buff Tailed Bumblebee - any tips anyone?

Dragonflies too are still in good numbers but perhaps less prolific than a couple of weeks ago - I guess the huge numbers of four spotted chaser in particular now being largely absent are the main factor. You can still see: Emperor (a female was egg laying in front of the Loxtons screen yesterday), Brown Hawker, Southern Hawker, Black Tailed Skimmer, Ruddy Darter and Common darter - all recorded this week. 

Damselflies too are easy to see with Red eyed present - often seen at rest on floating vegetation in front of screens or from the bridges, Common Blue, Azure, Variable and Blue Tailed also seen - Thanks to Mike Pearce for his shot of Blue Tailed Damselfly: 

A few Hobbies are still on the prowl for these and other insects - not huge numbers of sightings each week but they are here - just keep your eyes peeled. Thanks to Sandie Andrews for her shot taken on the main path near the first viewing platform (VP1) this week:

Other birds can also be seen with their beaks stuffed full of damselflies and other creatures, indicating that for some breeding season isn't quite over yet. A Whitethroat has been heard singing and seen feeding on numerous occasions at VP1 this week. Thanks to John Crispin for his image - on this occasion though it looks to be feeding itself a small snail:

Quite a few juvenile birds are being spotted now - young Reed Warblers were spotted from the screen in the south east corner of Waltons on Tuesday and this morning some young Blackbirds were feeding and sunning themselves on the path in front of me. A couple were eating some of the ripe blackberries now appearing. 

Groups of birds are being spotted too such as family groups of Long Tailed Tits and some mixed tit flocks.

Large groups of duck are unmissable but harder to identify as they move into an eclipse stage plumage - quite a number of Mallard and Gadwall gathered in front of the Tor View Hide and over at Loxtons. 

Also from the Tor View Hide look out for Young Coots, Moorhens, Great Crested Grebes and  Little Grebes (both Grebes and some small Water Rails were spotted from the Avalon Hide this Tuesday too).

Whilst at the Tor View Hide on Tuesday a Great White Egret suddenly flew in and landed on a nesting platform occupied by 2 well grown Coot juveniles - they quickly scattered and although the adult swam aggressively up, it had second thoughts looking at the size of the egret. A Great Crested Grebe then got a bit grumpy with the Coot and went for an underwater attack - a quick flurry of activity - easily missed if you were looking the other way. 

The Grebes here were again seen dancing and presenting weeds - getting a bit late to start again but you never know. Perhaps it's just a further reinforcement of pair bonding between the two. 

This individual photographed by John Crispin from the Avalon Hide was undertaking some display behaviour that neither John or I have seen before - no other bird was involved. Look at the photos and see what you think. Thanks for the images John:

This female Marsh Harrier is also in a slightly more unusual posture. Thanks aging to John Crispin for his shot:

Several juveniles can now be seen around the reserve with VP1 and the Avalon Hide perhaps the best places to go. They often perch in one of the bushes in front of VP1. In John Crispin's shots one of the juveniles leaves the bush to meet the female who is carrying food. The next shot shows it in possession of it. 

This male was also photographed by Sandie Andrews from the Avalon Hide this week:

This shot from John Crispin show well the bird using its primaries to aid with its movement in flight. Thanks John:

Bird song has obviously reduced over the last couple of weeks - birds don't need to be quite so vocal as breeding season ends. You can still hear Chiffchaff and Blackcap singing from the car park however and Reed, Sedge and Cettis Warblers calling from the reedbeds. Many birds will soon start to think about leaving us - Cuckoos have already gone and Swifts seem to be gradually disappearing. 

Swallows and some martins are still being seen each day though hunting for the various insects on the wing. It will feel like a bit of a lull period over the next few weeks as we wait for the larger movement of birds moving on towards autumn time - yes , I'm thinking about it already and when we can prepare for some reed cutting to open up those view a bit more from hides and screens etc. 

As you can see though there is plenty to enjoy in the mean time. Remember to check out the old rail bridge on the way into the reserve - you can often see Grass Snakes here and a Common Lizard was seen here on Wednesday. I've spotted 2 different Grass Snakes over the last 2 days in the little garden behind the Welcome Building at the car park (Today's was much smaller than the one yesterday). There has also been a Slow Worm again resting in the planters by the toilet block this week. 

Mammals perhaps a little harder to come by. Having the odd shrew, mouse or vole reported scurrying along a track for a short distance before disappearing. Been seeing quite a few extra Rabbits over the last couple of weeks too. Perhaps the most likely will be Roe Deer - they can often be seen feeding on the grassy banks around the reserves trails and various compartments. This Roe Buck was photographed by John Crispin this week at the eastern end of the reserve. Thanks John:

Also this week: Kingfisher seen from VP1 yesterday, Raven seen and heard over the car park and reserve on Tuesday and Wednesday, Red kite seen flying over this morning, Jays seen at several locations including the car park and the Avalon Hide, a Tawny Owl spotted sleeping in a tree on the grass footpath track by the drain beyond the turn to the Avalon Hide, Bitterns still being seen although sightings are reducing as breeding season progresses - Avalon Hide area a good place to try, Bearded Tits seen from the Avalon Hide on Wednesday, Greylag Goose from VP1 this morning, Green Woodpecker heard at the car park on Wednesday and Great Spotted Woodpeckers seen on most days each week. Thanks again to Sandie Andrews for her image:

As always I must stop there - but good that I could keep on writing at what is considered a quiet time of year on many reserves.

Before I go, many schools break up today. Follow the link to see the details of the family events we have on over the summer holidays, including pond dipping, minibeast safaris, a kids bio-blitz, discovering pollinators and a PJ Party! Visit https://events.rspb.org.uk/hamwall.

We are also running a guided walk on butterflies on August 06 August 2023 between 10:30 am- 1pm. Visit https://events.rspb.org.uk/hamwall to find out more and to book.

That's it for this week. Thanks as always for reading and have a great weekend.