I was up and about early this morning undertaking the last of my Breeding Bird Surveys (BBS) for the season. It's a great time of day to be up and about, once you've got over the haziness of being out of bed extra early. 

The days have been pretty hot this week, with the mornings much cooler (almost cold at times). Birds are up and about at first light taking the opportunity to feed themselves and any youngsters as soon as they can before the heat of the day makes things harder. 

If you are in early (the car park opens at 5am) you want to head towards the south east corner of Waltons - this is the best area currently to see the Four Spotted Chaser Dragonfly roost. Hundreds if not thousands of dragonflies emerge from the standing vegetation here in the morning and perch on the reeds ready to catch the warmth of the first sun rays of the day. Many visitors have remarked on the high numbers of dragonflies they are seeing. 

Four spotted chasers can be seen all over the reserve throughout the day, so you're sure to see good numbers. Add to this the amazing Emperor Dragonfly - our largest with its wonderful apple green thorax and blue tail, Black Tailed Skimmers - which often land on the paths in front of you, Broad Bodied Chaser, the last few of our Hairy Dragonflies (the first to emerge) and now the not quite so scarce, Scarce Chaser, and you are getting quite a treat. 

A Scarce Chaser perched right by the bridge/culvert where you cross from the main path into Waltons yesterday for some time. At the same time the very pretty Banded Demoiselle fluttered by - these can usually be seen up at the old rail bridge. They are very obviously different to other species you will be looking at:

Damselflies are out in good numbers too. Many look similar but do have subtle differences. Look out for Azure, Variable and Common Blue damselflies along with Blue Tailed and Red eyed damselfly (these often perch on floating vegetation.

These of course are good fodder for many birds residing at Ham Wall at this time of year. The most well known of these is perhaps the Hobby - several sightings this week including a close encounter at VP1 yesterday as it flew directly overhead. 

Plenty of Swift are flying overhead catching flying insects and there have been reports of Black Headed Gulls, Carrion Crows and Jackdaws catching the dragonflies during the day, although I imagine that in the early mornings before the dragonflies have fully warmed up would be an easier catch as they are far more vulnerable then.  Thanks to John Crispin for his Jackdaw image taken last week - great subtlety to their plumage:

I remember last year Great Spotted Woodpeckers taking Four Spotted Chasers back to their nest hole in a dead tree around the Waltons Trail. Pretty sure they are nesting here again as I saw them in the same are on Tuesday evening. There was also a lot of noise coming from the wood near the Avalon Hide today - they have nested here most years too. These was also a male drumming loudly this morning. 

Bitterns are being seen and are still booming, although not as prolifically as a few weeks ago. Sightings are being had all over the reserve really - right place, right time for many though. VP1, the over at Waltons have both produced sightings in the last couple of days and even sightings of multiple birds (2's and 3's). 3 were seen flying together from VP1 this week. 

The Black Headed Gulls, I have already mentioned, continue to breed in front of the first viewing platform (VP1) - we think now at least 9 nests are present - the first time we have had a colony at Ham Wall. These colonies have suffered quite badly elsewhere due to Avian Flu, so perhaps this will be good for their population.

There seems to be an uneasy alliance with the Lapwings who are also present in small numbers (perhaps a couple of pairs). These both intercept anything they perceive as a threat: Marsh Harrier, corvids, larger gulls etc. Quite well grown Lapwing chicks were seen within the last couple of weeks out here so that's great news. I was also lucky enough to see some in the fields adjacent to the reserve this morning (2 young seen) and they were chasing off all comers and were a bit annoyed with me too, so I didn't loiter for too long. Another bird also came in from a little further afield and chased off a Marsh Harrier - so likely some more breeding success here too (fingers crossed). 

Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of a Black Headed Gull having a good shout at something - they do add quite a bit of noise and action to the day don't they?

If you're at VP1 look out also for Redshank. I've heard them calling out here whenever I visit and they seem pretty mobile. 3 have been seen together at any one time. Thanks again to John Crispin for his action shot: 

You may also see Black Tailed Godwits. Around 25 have been present pretty much all week although they are not always visible now that much of the vegetation has grown up and obscured some of the islands. Occasionally, the gulls and godwits all lift off together if a Marsh Harrier is passing.

Marsh Harriers and pretty busy all over the reserve - some good passes in front of the Avalon Hide this morning when I was present as well as good activity throughout the week from VP1, VP2, at the far end of the reserve and even over Waltons. One was seen carrying a largish prey item - perhaps a well grown Coot or Moorhen Chick yesterday. 

There are plenty of young birds around - several broods of Coot on my travels this morning including from the Avalon hide where it seems one parent is looking after the kids whilst another is already sat on a nest ready to go again. Also saw some very tiny Moorhen chicks close to the bench just past the Avalon Hide turn off. Other broods seen include: Gadwall, Mallard, Canada Goose and some Mute Swans with 6 Cygnets.

Close by to the moorhen chicks were a pristine looking Tufted Duck pair were sat on tree branches just over the water. I say pristine as many ducks now appear to be moving into eclipse plumage (Mallards in particular). Thanks to John Crispin for his example taken this week:

Other ducks are available: limited views of Garganey at VP1 this week but as many as 50 Gadwall seen within the Waltons section, quite a few Pochard on site (good views from the Avalon Hide, Shoveler and the previously mentioned Tufted Duck. Thanks to John Crispin who sent in this shot of a Tufted Duck who had his rest rudely disturbed by a male Pochard:

This looks like one of the rafts at Waltons. Look out here for Great Crested Grebes. There was a pair coming quite close to the screens yesterday. I also heard a story that some Great Crested Grebes in Waltons had 4 youngsters but the smallest one got taken by a Marsh Harrier. The harrier then managed to drop its catch but there was no escape for the young chick - it was immediately snaffled by a passing Great White Egret. 

Good views of Great White Egrets can be had each day with VP1 and the Avalon Hide as good as any place to see them - perhaps even flying over the car park - it's quite a common sight. 

A big white bird which is not a common sight is a White Stork but that's exactly what we had on Tuesday over VP1/Waltons. It has been seen in the local area on a few occasions, but not sure if it's still around. Several people saw it in a couple of ploughed fields on the Meare to Glastonbury Road a stones throw from the reserve. It seemed unperturbed by the passing tractor and plough. Thanks to Steve Edwards who kindly sent me in this shot:

I missed it myself but what a great bird to see. Another wonderful bird and a favourite of many is the Barn Owl. Again plenty of daytime flights and being seen suggesting that they are feeding young. The Avalon Hide and VP1 are the best spots as these have views of the Barn Owl boxes. The box in the wood behind the hide is believed to contain Tawny Owl - one was seen this week, although I was hearing a lot of noise from Stock Doves there this morning (these readily take to owl boxes too). Thanks to John Crispin for his Barn owl shot:

Another one of our boxes is the camera box which beams pictures back to the Welcome Building at the car park. Our Blue Tits were doing really well until a Weasel managed to find the box and that was the end of that. We did manage to grab a shot from the TV to show what happened. Sad but that's all part of the nature on Ham Wall:

Other mammal sightings for this week include: Roe Deer out to the north of the reserve, Fox and a Mole which was seen by one of our volunteers near the pond dipping platforms. It popped up out of one mound and scurried across to another before disappearing again. 

In terms of reptiles, the Grass Snake is your best bet. There have been several sightings from the old rail bridge as you walk onto the reserve from the car park. One's been seen swimming on 2 occasions and I've seen one 3 times just by looking over the edge to the south. Check out the stone gabions, they often bask here or have their head sticking out. You may also be lucky enough to see Common Lizard or an Adder (both seen here recently).

Still plenty of bird song to enjoy with Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap and Garden Warbler still in song along with those more familiar birds you may see in your garden. Whilst looking for these on the main tack or at the car park be sure to check out the flowering plants and shrubs such as viburnum or elder. They have been packed with insects at times with bees, butterflies, hoverflies and beetles feeding and exploring.

A lovely wasp beetle landed on me yesterday. I was enjoying studying it so much that I neglected to take a photo of it. You will have to make do with this wonderful Red Headed Cardinal Beetle sent to me by Giles Morris. Thanks Giles:

In the reedbeds listen out for the chattering of Reed Warblers and Sedge Warblers and the ear piercing call of the Cettis Warbler. There seemed to be plenty of Reed Buntings calling this morning but as seems to be a theme disappointing not be seeing and hearing many Bearded Tits. I was lucky enough to see a family group of 4-5 from the Avalon Hide this morning though - they just happened to pass through my bins as I scanned for birds on my survey. A couple of other sightings from the hide this week too so perhaps here is your best bet. Here's a great photo from John Crispin from our archive to whet your appetite:

Also this week: Cuckoos still calling (heard around Waltons and Loxtons and from the car park this week and very close to the Avalon Hide this morning but I failed to locate it), Red Kite (thanks to John Crispin for his photo) sightings still pretty frequent (one passed close over the car park on Wednesday and one was hunting to the north on my survey this morning but plenty of other sightings too), lovely looking Little Grebe on the way to the Avalon Hide this morning, Buzzards seen daily - often harassed by Crows, Jay spotted in the car park trees on Wednesday, Song Thrush singing along the main path, Little Egret from VP1 along with Egyptian Geese (thanks to John Crispin for his photos) and Green Woodpecker still being heard daily. 

I'm going to leave it there for this week. Thanks for reading, I hope it's given you some inspiration to go out and explore for yourself. Have a wonderful weekend!