What a miserable morning it was today. I was out with an engineer trying to do some fixes on our Softrak machine (the reed cutter). We were soaked through to the bone by the time we decided to call it a day. 

Surprisingly though there was a fair amount of activity on the reserve from our resident wildlife. Swallows and martins were swooping low catching insects brought down by the rains in front of the first viewing platform (VP1).  Swifts could be seen also - there's been a steady trickle of them passing through each day this week and a Roe Deer was grazing along the footpath a short distance away from us. 

During lighter spells of rain, bird song could be heard including; Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Goldfinch, Blackbird, Blue Tit and Robin. Yesterday we heard a Bullfinch singing along the main track not far from the old rail bridge. Many of these ca n be heard from VP1 too where you may also encounter a family group of Long Tailed Tits - they've been seen during the week and I saw them this morning. 

Look out also for the Whitethroat opposite VP1 - it's still being seen quite regularly. Thanks to John Crispin who took this shot this week of it carrying a blue tailed damselfly:

Wet weather is probably not the best time to come out and look for dragonflies and damselflies but the numbers this year have been really great and on the warmer, drier days there are plenty to look for. One or two Four Spotted Chasers still remain whilst Black Tailed Skimmers can be seen frequently - these often land on the path in front of you as you walk the trails. I have selected a photo from our back catalogue to show you what to look for. Thanks to Giles Morris for his image:

Common Darter and Ruddy Darter can also be seen along with Brown Hawker, Emperor, Southern Hawker and the first of our Migrant Hawkers of the season. You may also be lucky enough to see Lesser Emperor - one or two have been seen very recently. 

Butterflies are fairing better over the last few weeks than they were a month or so ago when numbers appear to have plummeted. Lots of Red Admirals about this week along with, Comma, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell, Brimstone, Green Veined White, Small White, Speckled Wood, Meadow Brown Gatekeeper and Common Blue. Painted Lady has also been spotted this week. Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of Common Blue Butterfly:

Other insects are seen quite readily across the reserve with some of the most obvious being bumblebees. Thanks again to John Crispin for his shots of White Tailed Bumblebee taken this week:

A very wonderful Hummingbird Hawkmoth was spotted by the raised beds that surround the toilet block at the car park on Wednesday and the same day a Slow Worm was spotted basking in the sun.

On Thursday a Slow Worn and a Grass Snake were seen at the old rail bridge during the morning and the in the afternoon another Grass Snake was spotted and photographed by my colleague Damon Bridge. Thanks Damon:

Best not to get too exposed or it might become fodder for birds of prey such as Buzzard or Marsh Harrier. 

Marsh Harriers are still very busy. Now with juveniles having left at least 2 of our nests. Tanks to John Crispin for his shots of one of the individuals from the nest between VP1 and the Avalon Hide:

For ID purposes the juveniles at this stage tend to look a lot browner than the adults and their caps are a gingery colour. You may hear them calling to adults on the wing and perhaps even witness food passes between adults and juveniles as they learn their craft.

The Avalon Hide can be a good place to spot them too and for Bitterns as well. Whilst working in the area with some volunteers yesterday we witnessed at least 4 flights between the wood close to the hide and the main drain /footpath. This was perhaps a female still feeding young at a nest and making feeding flights. Visitors also reported a few flights right in front of the hide too and VP1 is also a good place to try given the wide open vista.

We are aware the the reeds etc are beginning to make some viewing more difficult. We will begin to drain the area down and start cutting these islands in August (when we are sure breeding season has finished in this section. 

The Avalon Hide has also been a good place to see Great White Egrets - one was fishing out here this morning and a second flew in front of VP1. When the final figures are in for breeding I will get them too you - there are still one or two active nests. Juveniles are now quite mobile and being spotted around the reserves locally. Look out for the yellow bills with the dark end to the upper mandible. 

In fact one of this years ringed birds (Ringed AJC) was spotted at Warnham Nature Reserve in Horsham, West Sussex - the first of this years birds reported from outside Somerset - most definitely mobile. 

This adult was spotted making a beeline for another this week - definitely not with friendly intentions. Thanks to John Crispin for his image:

Little Egret was also seen at the Avalon Hide this morning. We don't see that many Little Egrets at Ham Wall - let alone one swooping down at speed like this one photographed by John Crispin this week. Unusual behaviour I think. Thanks John:

Great Crested Grebes are present in quite a few areas including the Avalon Hide - I saw a pair here yesterday (along with some Little Grebes with juveniles). these were seen dancing last week but all seemed quiet when I was watching them. Another pair were seen dancing this morning from the Tor View Hide this afternoon. This morning I could see two pairs one with smallish young and another with a well grown youngster (pretty much full size). Juvenile birds have also been spotted with parents at the second viewing platform (VP2) and over at Loxtons.

Also from the Tor View Hide this week are a number of duck. Mostly Mallard and Gadwall and most in or moving into eclipse. This can make ID's a little harder as they can lose a lot of their colour. Thanks to John Crispin who has sent in photographs of both male and female Mallard in eclipse. Note the bill colour difference to help with your ID. Male first then the female. Thanks John:

They say the rain is great weather for ducks - not sure they would always agree but at least they are fairly waterproof. One bird which is not is the Cormorant. This is why they spread out their wings and face the sun so they can dry out more easily - good luck with that today Cormorants. You may well see them on the rails in front of VP1 or out in Waltons - they look prehistoric don't they?

Thanks to Sheila Jordan who sent me this pic last week:

Also this week: Bearded Tit seen at the Avalon Hide area yesterday, lots of Reed and Sedge Warblers flitting around in front of VP1 earlier in the week, a family of Reed Warblers seen by the car park pools, Great Spotted Woodpecker seen from VP1 flying towards Loxtons, Song Thrush seen along the main track - evidence of snail shells too in one place - favourite smashing stone perhaps, a small fox cub seen whist doing a butterfly survey this Monday (in between showers) - it soon disappeared down its hole when it saw me, Buzzards seen on most days, Jays seen close to the car park, a little Shrew was seen running around the Avalon Hide on Tuesday, Hobby seen over Waltons also on Tuesday and Stock Doves heard calling at several locations (at least 3). Thanks to John Crispin for his photo:

Finally,

After all the amazing photos on show this week, maybe you are feeling inspired yourself? The Visitor Experience Team have asked me to pass on details about an event we have coming up:

Introduction To Wildlife Photography with Victoria Hillman

Join professional Victoria Hillman at Ham Wall and delve into the world of wildlife photography. This full day workshop will teach various techniques of photographing nature, looking in hedgerows, ponds and spending time in the hides on the reserve. We will be looking for anything and everything from birds and mammals to plants and invertebrates. From where to look for and how to find subjects through to how to photograph them in their natural habitat causing minimal disturbance, we'll explore capturing portraits, behaviours and in-habitat images. Something to learn for all abilities.

Please see our events page for more information and to book on to all of our events - https://events.rspb.org.uk/hamwall

That's it for this week - lets hope for a less saturating time next week. Have a wonderful weekend!