Had a nice early start this morning to undertake the second of 4 breeding bird surveys. The first bird I heard as I got to the gate was my first cuckoo of the season - wonderful to hear. As I parked up it perched up in a large oak and called again. I mimicked the call - not particularly well I thought, but it was enough for him to come and have a closer look at me before flying off. What a wonderful start to the day. 

It was a bit chilly though but always nice to be out early - you never know what you might see. I missed them myself but there were a couple more sightings of Red Kite this morning from the Avalon Hide. I say more, because we have had quite a flurry this week. There were some really great sightings over the car park yesterday of a single bird whilst earlier in the morning 2 were seen together heading east. We have had sightings every day this week, so keep your eyes peeled for them. Thanks to Robin Morrison and Andrew Kirby who sent in there shots taken this week:

Our resident Marsh Harriers are also showing well for visitors. Try either of the viewing platforms (VP1 and VP2) or the Avalon Hide for the best sightings. We have at least 3 nest locations currently but expect this to rise once weekly surveys take place with volunteers from next week. I've been sent several photos this week so I'll start with a sequence of photos from John Crispin of a male in front of the first viewing platform (VP1) taking a wader - had to tell what it is though, a redshank perhaps? It swept in and plucked the bird from the splashy island and then passed it to the female who was nearby. Thanks John:

Also Andrew Kirby sent me a short sequence of a male carrying what looks like a Water Rail chick before performing a great food pass to the female. Thanks Andrew:

Thanks also to Robin Morrison for his shot of a pair interacting in front of the Avalon Hide yesterday:

We may have one less wader in front of VP1 now but there are still plenty to look out for. Lapwing have again been seen displaying here (I also saw some displaying over fields to the north of the reserve this morning). Redshank have been heard calling out there this week too. The Spotted Redshank is still present although starting to look a little darker as it moves into its breeding plumage. A Ruff has been seen every day this week too along with Black Tailed Godwits at various states of plumage. A Whimbrel has also been present for a couple of days and was heard calling yesterday (13 were reported in a ploughed field close to the reserve yesterday too). 

Thanks to Andrew Kirby and John Crispin for the various photos they have sent in taken during the past week:

Spotted Redshank

Ruff in amongst Black Tailed Godwits (one is ringed I notice)

Thanks also to Robin Morrison for his shot of the godwits disturbed by a Sparrowhawk and a Green Sandpiper taken from the Avalon Hide yesterday:

Whilst at VP1 look out for Garganey. Several sightings this week although they have also been seen in Waltons and from VP2. Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of a male preening from VP2 and to Andrew Kirby for his shots of a pair and a group (including 4 males) all taken from VP1 - the group were there this morning:

Other ducks to look our for include: Tufted Duck, Shoveler, Gadwall (plenty in front of VP2), Teal, Pochard and Mallard. 

This lone mallard duckling was photographed by John Crispin this week in the Loxtons section. There was no sign of the rest of its family. It could be part of the brood that I saw just over in Waltons on Monday - there was a mother with at least 6 ducklings.

Certainly feels like things have progressed when you start to see young birds. Some well grown young grey herons were reported in Waltons this week from the Tor View Hide where herons are nesting in the reedbeds. They were seen trying to climb up reeds at one point, getting a bit adventurous. 

Some birds of course are still arriving and have not yet paired up. I could hear several Sedge Warblers this morning including one on the final stretch to the Avalon Hide who even did a wonderful parachuting flight as I approached. It's a good one to track down as  it is close to a couple of Reed Warblers so you can get your ears tuned into the differences - always good at the beginning of the season. 

Other warblers are going great guns such as Blackcaps, Willow Warblers, Chiffchaff and a couple of Garden Warblers and look out for our usual Whitethroat perching and singing on the brambles opposite VP1. Thanks to John Crispin for his image: 

Yesterday saw me get my first Swifts of the year, screaming over the car park. One of my favourite birds and I always look forward to their return. 

Swallows are being seen over the reserve daily and I'm starting to notice more perched on telegraph wires as I travel around. We're also seeing a few House Martins and good numbers of Sand Martins each day with VP1 as good a place as any to stop and watch them feeding on flies (a few of the St Marks flies have been seen this week). Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of a Sand Martin in the rain. See how it's using its tail as a rudder to make a sharp turn:

Thanks also to Andrew Kirby for his shot of Sand Martins taken this very morning:

Plenty of other insects are being seen including several species of bumblebee and a nice hornet close to the car park. I'm yet to see my first dragonfly (Hairy Dragonfly usually the first) or indeed damselfly although Large Red has been seen and a blue damselfly reported by a visitor yesterday - perhaps Azure Damselfly? 

Butterflies are showing well during the warmer days - yesterday was a wonderful day. Spotted this week: Green Veined White, Small White, Brimstone, Orange Tip, Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, Peacock, Comma and Speckled Wood.

The warmer weather has seen more sightings of Grass Snake - sightings at the car park pools and down by the old rail bridge where a Common Lizard was also spotted. Always worth looking over to the right here (facing south) and checking out the banks and stone gabions under the bridge or even in the water for a swimming Grass Snake. A Slow Worm was also seen warming up in the planters near the toilet block. 

In the tree lines along the main path enjoy the bird song of the warblers already mentioned along with Song Thrush, Blackbird, Wren tits and finches and also look out for Bullfinch and Redpoll both seen during the week. Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of Wren singing and displaying:

VP1 has been the place for waders but it's also the best place to catch up with the Glossy Ibis (yes we are still down to one Disappointed). It has been showing well on most days - sometimes feeding in a little closer. Get the sun on its plumage and see those amazing colours. 

Also in this area you will see Little Egret - there were 2 here yesterday and Great White Egret - up to 5 here on Wednesday. Also look out for the Great Crested Grebes nest just to the side of the Sand Martin bank. You can also see these beautiful birds over in Waltons and on the way to the Avalon Hide. John Crispin captured these 2 in flight this week. Thanks John:

Also this week: discovery of a Ravens nest adjacent to the reserve (a massive nest built). 2 youngsters at least seen - Ravens often get started early to coincide with other birds nesting so they can feed their young with other birds eggs and chicks. A Little Gull seen this morning from VP1, a Hoopoe spotted at the mire over on Westhay Moor (Somerset Wildlife Trust) - it soon moved off but could still be in the area, Yellow Wagtail passing through at VP1 on Wednesday, a couple of Hobby sightings during the week, a Linnet seen right on the north boundary of the reserve with groups of Roe Deer nearby, Buzzard seen daily, Moorhen chicks seen, 2 Egyptian Geese seen in flight from VP2 yesterday and 2 Stock Doves seen cuddling and displaying around the barn owl boxes visible from the Avalon Hide - a great aerial ballet according to Robin Morrison - thanks for the photos Robin:

I will have to stop there I'm afraid - after my early start this morning I'm supposed to be going home early (it's not happened but never mind).

Anyway, thanks for reading - I hope you've enjoyed it. Have a great weekend. Why not visit the local reserves - there's plenty to see.