Well, it felt like spring had finally sprung in full on Tuesday, with a glorious day. Unfortunately, it went AWOL yesterday and felt like winter again. The sun's done it's best to shine today, although a little windy as I undertook my first Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) of the season. Nothing particularly unusual in my area of the reserve but it was great to hear my first Reed Warbler of the season over near the Avalon Hide. I also heard my first Skylark singing over a field just to the north of the reserves boundary. 

It has been particularly noticeable just how many Chiffchaffs are present - I guess no real surprise given just how many we'd been seeing over the winter - especially on those frosty days when they were all feeding on the ground. Willow Warblers too are in great song along with a few Blackcap. During sunny spells you can really start to hear that chorus of birds, with tits, finches, Blackbirds, Wrens, Robins and Song Thrushes all adding their voices to the throng. Thanks to Sandie Andrews who sent me pictures of both Wren and a foraging Song Thrush last week:

Around the edges of the trials look and listen out for Cettis Warblers. A couple have been seen perching up today offering good views - one over in Waltons near the entrance to the screens area. If you don't see them, you will certainly hear them - a very loud punchy call. Thanks again to Sandie Andrews for her image:

In the reedbeds themselves keep your ears open for those Reed Warblers - numbers should increase dramatically in the next week or so. Bearded Tits can be heard on occasions but they are notoriously hard to see here. The Avalon Hide area may be your best bet. 

Perhaps, the most obvious call you will hear is the boom of the male Bittern. One flew across the water from the first viewing platform (VP1) on Monday and then settled on the reed edge for a few minutes which was great to see. Earlier that morning 2 had flown across in a chase flight - most likely is a male chasing a female. Another pair were seen chasing this morning on the north of the reserve - or at least trying as they were buffeted by the winds. Thanks to John Crispin for his shot of the chase on Monday from VP1:

They have some cousins (heron family) which are far more easy to see. Great White Egrets are seen daily from VP1 along with a Little Egret who has it's favourite fishing area here currently. Grey Herons are also seen regularly, some already well underway with the nesting and some young chicks have been seen at the nests in the reedbeds at Waltons (not being eaten like the chick from last week - photos on our Facebook and Twitter pages last Saturday. Thanks to Andrew Pettey who sent in these photos taken on Tuesday:

These 2 are perhaps a little way behind those other birds - no prizes for guessing what they are up to. Thanks to Sandie Andrews for her photo taken last week:

Other birds are also very much in love, although this female Marsh Harrier may have to learn to share, as the male mating her had two females last year - although the good news is, he takes a very serious role in feeding the young - he just has to work a lot harder. Thanks to John Crispin for his photo sequence taken on Monday:

Another harrier was spotted on Tuesday evening - a male Hen Harrier - it appeared to come into roost at the reserve. A visitor also reported seeing it on yesterday morning over at Loxtons. 

Sticking with the birds of prey theme, a Red Kite was seen on Monday flying very high over the VP1 area. Despite its altitude, it still manged to disturb some of the ducks and waders situated at VP1 currently. The Black Tailed Godwits were particularly jittery. Thanks to John Crispin who managed these distant shots:

Around 50 Black Tailed Godwits have been present here this week with a wide range of plumage stages from the familiar winter grey feathering through to the red brick breeding plumage. These have been accompanied by a few Lapwing - some displaying seen, 3 Redshank - these can often be heard calling,  a Greenshank, a Ruff and a Spotted Redshank. Thanks to John Crispin for his photos of both Redshank and Spotted Redshank taken this week:

In the same area look out for Garganey. There have been 2 males and a single female present this week - not surprisingly this caused some aggression between the 2 males as the compete for the females affections - not as aggressive as say, Mallards can be. Thanks to John Crispin, with another photo sequence of the male Garganeys having a bit of a disagreement:

Plus the 3 birds in flight:

Plenty of other ducks to spot on your visit too. There are still some Wigeon on site and plenty of Teal - VP2 a good place to spot some as well as Shoveler - there were plenty there this morning. Mallard, Gadwall, Tufted Duck and Pochard are also present and there was a pair of Pintail present from VP1 on Monday. Thanks to Mike Pearce for his Pochard shot taken in the rain recently:

The Glossy Ibis have been present for much of the week - particularly early morning, although just one has been seen by me over the last couple of days - I guess it could even be a rouge 3rd bird and the pair are elsewhere? 

Sand Martins are being seen quite regularly and I was happy to see my first Swallows on Tuesday in the sunshine flying low and dipping in the water before taking off again. A few House Martins have also been spotted this week - this has coincided with an increase in flying insects I've noticed this week - great news for the hirundines. 

Other insects are on the wing too of course. A few bumblebees being spotted, an Orange Underwing Moth from the old rail bridge on Tuesday and several butterfly species including: Green veined White, Brimstone (plenty of these), Red Admiral, Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell.

Grass Snakes have also been seen a little more regularly with one seen in the Mini Marshes (by the car park) and another swimming in the drain from the old rail bridge. It could even be this one, photographed and sent in by Andrew Pettey - thank you Andrew:

This bridge is a good place to look for Kingfishers too - I saw one here on Tuesday but they have also been seen at Waltons and the Avalon Hide.  

Kingfishers are always a firm favourite. So too are the Great Crested Grebes - still seeing some birds displaying, whilst others are already nesting - there is one nest right next to the artificial Sand Martin bank at VP1. They can also be seen with Waltons and from the Avalon Hide. 

This individual took on more than it could swallow last week. The fish was proving  a bit tricky for it. Try as it might it could swallow the fish. Its mate came to help (or perhaps steal) but it eventually proved too much for them and it wriggled free and swam off. Thanks to Sandie Andrews for the photo and info:

Also this week: Green Woodpecker heard calling frequently on most days plus a few sightings, Great Spotted Woodpecker seen daily, Redpolls and Siskins seen along the main path this week, A Wheatear seen at the car park on Tuesday, 3 Barnacle Geese seen on the north of the reserve this week and 2 Egyptian Geese seen this morning, bullfinch seen along the main path, Peregrine seen flying on the north of the reserve, Roe Deer spotted on Waltons Trail but as last week a large group seen in fields north of our boundary and a couple of Mute Swan pairs looking like they are setting up nests on the reserve this morning. Thanks to Sandie Andrews for her action shot of a Mute Swan taken last week:

I'm going to have to stop there - I'm already well over time after my early start this morning for the survey. I hope you've enjoyed reading and thanks to all those who have contributed there wonderful photos. 

Have a fantastic Easter Holiday and I'll be back next week with more updates.