Beautiful Butterflies 2019

3 days of sunshine & Butterflies galore. Well, not really but we did see 3 Brimstones a Red Admiral & a Peacock. I did get a shot of the Brimstone flying, but I think trying to photograph Butterflies in flight is one of the first signs of madness. Anyway, it's high time I started this thread.

This is the link to last years thread https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196195/beautiful-butterflies-2018/1219455#1219455

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Understandably, you're a bit ahead of us Hazel. The Orange-tip is one of my favourites but haven't seen any yet. I don't think we get Scarce Swallowtails in the UK unfortunately.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Orange-tips are normally quite early fliers, although I've not seen one here, yet, but I've never seen a Small Copper early in the season - maybe that's just me!

Nige   Flickr

• Lovely photos Hazel; what a welcoming sight to see Orange tips in France, a sure sign spring is on it's way although you wouldn't think it today with leaden sky and cool conditions. I've seen Brimstone, Comma, Peacocks so far so hopefully more species once the sun returns.

Regards, Hazel 

• The butterflies keep coming!! Our local website shows over 30 species so far this year of which we've seen 18. This is another, such a lovely colour but tricky in bright sunshine, a Green Hairstreak,

a probable Grizzled Skipper

& even a Clouded Yellow

I think it'll be a good year for Flutterbies!

Best wishes

• You are mking me extremely envious, Hazel. I've seen Brimstone and Orange-tips but haven't managed to get any photos. It's turning colder this week so that puts the kibosh on it. Grrrrr.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• So lovely to see the various butterflies you are getting Hazel, I've seen a few Brimstone, Peacock last week and we have a lot of mining bees and one or two bumble bees buzzing around our garden when its sunny so a sure sign spring is here - almost ! Today it's drizzling and grey so will have to remain patient again until the sun returns.

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Hazy & TJ, our weather has taken a dive today & due to get colder with snow/hail for thursday morning. Not so good for all the early flowers & bugs.

Best wishes

• Still only seen 3 species this year and only about half a dozen butterflies in total! 18 species is probably not far off my yearly total!! I think it will be a while yet before the Green Hairstreaks come out, but at least I know I have a local population now, so hopefully some opportunities to get better photos!

Nige   Flickr

• A nice sunny afternoon yesterday after a cold start (frost in places) & so we went off around some local woods. It was a lovely walk with 11 species of butterfly & finally got photos of Violet (Weavers) Fritillay on Violets!!

Best wishes

• Great news H, nowt doing here save for a few Hovers & Bumbles! That E/NE wind is so harsh!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr