Some from The Hideout 2024

After a bit of the alternative Xmas, one not to be repeated, I hope, The Hideout has been a welcome refuge while trying to get back on my feet again.

The Hideout, just a random name I gave it, is my man cave, an integral brick built extension to the garage, which became a convenient dumping ground when we moved in 23 years ago, now nicely converted to a man cave.

A short 4 minute guided tour, no waffle, of The Hideout, which can be viewed HERE.

In my previous The Hideout thread, I did confess to honourably borrowing an annual based theme, so here it starts, and a link to the shorter 2023 thread, "Some from The Hideout 2023";

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/285975/some-from-the-hideout-2023

Not many photos to start with, I didn't fancy lugging the camera and dropping it, but The Hideout has been a comfort, heating on, gentle music in the background and urban nature (if such a term exists, well it does now), going about its business, and particularly nest building.

A pair of magpies seemed to be nest building atop our cherry tree, twigs etc being taken in, then the next day, the twigs seemed to be transported out, and to another tree, most likely a lot higher, further away. it may have been the cherry tree provided a central storage place, or not.....

The Hideout is definitely fulfilling its intended role.

Less of the waffle, and more photos.....

What better than an early sign of spring, daffodil shoots, that started showing very early December, which they always do here.

Mr BB looking for more suet pellets to be thrown from The Hideout, onto the grass....

Yesterday, 13th Jan,

Blue skies

and a magpie enjoying a bathe...

These first few images were taken through a dirty kitchen window, I know, should be clean, but I had been a guest of our fabulous NHS over Xmas/NY

Though blurred and out of focus, I hadn't anticipated the magpie taking flight,

These last few were taken from The Hideout

• Quite an enviable space you have there Mike and certainly what you need just now whilst getting your health & strength back, maybe your next visitors will be more Jays?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Really sorry to hear that you have not been at your best and I believe poor Mrs PR has been laid low as well. Hopefully you will both be back on the up and everything crossed that everything starts to improve'. Love the photos from the Hideout - Mr BB looks in fabulous condition

Cin J

• WendyBartter said:
    Quite an enviable space you have there Mike and certainly what you need just now whilst getting your health & strength back, maybe your next visitors will be more Jays?

The jays seem to be an autumn visitor, but you never know.

Along with robin courtships, and many more.

• Germain said:
    Really sorry to hear that you have not been at your best and I believe poor Mrs PR has been laid low as well. Hopefully you will both be back on the up and everything crossed that everything starts to improve'. Love the photos from the Hideout - Mr BB looks in fabulous condition

Sadly yes, Mrs PR has suffered, but hopefully she's not far behind me, and will see an end towards the end of the week. Sooner would be nicer.

The blackbirds are interesting to say the least. Mr BB seeks out the food, tries to have a good feed and then Mrs/Ms/Miss BB dive bombs in and shoves him out!

• I love watching birds bathe, usually starling and sparrow here. The patterns and shapes the spray makes is endlessly fascinating :o)
  • PimperneBloke said:
    I love watching birds bathe, usually starling and sparrow here. The patterns and shapes the spray makes is endlessly fascinating :o)

Keep a look out for more to follow, the bird bath gets a lot of use from the local birds and squirrels. I've even captured on trailcam, a fox drinking from the bird bath.

• Just the thing for you Mike, your man cave, comfy and warm, and you can iew everything from inside. You have it all there. Love the Maggie in the water bath with the splashing water. Hope you and Mrs PR are getting back to good health, and make full recoveries.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Lynn L said:
    Just the thing for you Mike, your man cave, comfy and warm, and you can iew everything from inside. You have it all there. Love the Maggie in the water bath with the splashing water. Hope you and Mrs PR are getting back to good health, and make full recoveries.

Definitely.

It was an idea born during the first lockdown, and after a bit of scrimping and saving, along with some other work required to the garage, to which The Hideout is integral to, has become a haven.

• Some more photos from The Hideout....

The bluebells are growing nicely, in the raised plant beds!

A couple of Mrs BB yesterday (16th January)

Making good  of the feeder to get some protein...

While sitting in The Hideout, I would release some suet pellets onto the patio, and grass. Mrs BB got wise to this, and quickly, but beat a hasty retreat when I open the door, but she wasn't slow in returning....

• The pond is a tad frozen....

Cyril and friends have been keeping active....

and the outtakes.....

I wonder if he drinks a particular alcoholic beverage....

more leaps of faith.....