• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 29 June - 5 July 2019 (out with the old)

Howdy folks, and welcome to the last of this current format of the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the Visitor Guy.

Wait, what? The last? Are we stopping doing the recent sightings? Well, no. But there a few changes afoot, which will take effect from next week. First of which is the timing of these blogs. Instead of doing them on Fridays (or sometimes Saturdays), I will be trying to get them out on…

• Hello from Toby

There is a new face about the reserve, in the form of Toby. Yes, I know our warden is called Toby, but this is another one. What are the chances? Anyway, I'd best let him introduce himself...

----------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone, as the new Volunteer Visitor Experience Intern I thought I’d take this opportunity to introduce myself plus let you guys know a little bit about me.

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 22 - 28 June 2019

Howdy folks, and welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the Visitor Guy.

Well, a lot of excitement last week with the black-winged pratincole. Would it stay for the weekend? Let's find out...

Um, that would be a no then. Alas the good weather that Friday night seems to have prompted it to do a flit. Last we heard, it was in Sweden. Mind you, that is still a pretty good selection of…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 15 - 21 June 2019

Howdy folks! And welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the visitor guy.

Well, just a wee bit of an exciting week this week. So cue the maps...

Where's the excitement? Patience, patience... Though surely black-necked grebes, a spoonbill and bee orchids are quite good going?

You know patience is a virtue, right? The excitement is coming... And again, still some good stuff there on…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 8 - 14 June 2019

Howdy folks, and welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings. With me, Chris the Visitor Guy.

Right, a bit more time to write the blog this week. So look forward to lots of lovely photos lower down. In  the meanwhile, it is time for some maps.

The two black-necked grebes hid for the morning, but showed very nicely in front of the visitor centre in the afternoon.

A full sightings boards for the Sunday. Nice to…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 1 - 7 June 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings. With me, Chris the ever-so-slightly busy Visitor Guy.

Yes, I'm afraid it is another short one this week. The time is almost midnight, I have a full day in the visitor centre tomorrow (come say hello), and a quick run of maps is all I really have time to do. Given a chance I may go back in at a later date and put some nice photos in. Otherwise I will double…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 25-31 May 2019

Howdy folks, and welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings. With me, Chris the visitor guy!

And with no further ado, in time honoured fashion, it is the week's maps...

Some nice birds (and a couple of nice planes too) there to start this blog. The golden orole may have been the one that was seen earlier in the day at Gibraltar Point. Alas, despite much wishing it never completed the journey to end up at…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 18 - 24 May 2019

Howdy folks! And welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the Visitor Guy.

Well, a bit of a sightings filled week this week. Shall we crack on, and get onto the maps?

Golden oriole is a great spot for the reserve, indeed for the UK after the breeding population at Lakenheath dwindled away. 

The board says 103, but another five species were added after that, making a reserve count of 108…

• May half-term fun!

Another of Jenny's weekly blogs. This time looking forward to next week, and the half-term holidays

------------------------

May half term is a wonderful time to get the kids outdoors in the sunshine (fingers crossed!). Here at Frampton we’ve got a whole host of events and activities for little ones to enjoy.

We’ll be kicking the week off with our monthly Walkies with Wildlife on Sunday 26 May. You can enjoy…

• Frampton marsh recent sightings: 11 - 17 May 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings. With me, Chris the Visitor Guy.

Into the middle of May now, and still only the one, partial, entry into our birdwatchers challenge. Surely someone is going to send me a full day's list? Especially when there is quality stuff like this to be found...

Cuckoos cuckoo-ing, turtle doves purring, garganeys grunting...

Redstart on the way to the river mouth…

• Frampton Marsh Wildlife in May

Another blog post from Jenny here, as she looks at why May is a brilliant time to visit the reserve

-----------------------------------

Why May is the month to visit Frampton Marsh

May is the ideal time of year to see a wide range of passage waders as they travel to their breeding grounds for the summer. Be sure to check out the tide times when you’re planning your visit. The ideal time to visit is between 15 -…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 4 - 10 May 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings. With me, Chris the visitor guy.

Bad news to start with. I'm afraid it loooks like our long-staying long-billed dowitcher has finally done a bunk. No sign since 1 May. But we had them for 251 days, and it was seen by hundreds if not thousands of people, so we can't complain really.

In absence of the dowitcher, what has been about? Cue the maps...

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog: 27 April - 3 May 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to another edition of the Frampton Marsh recent sightings. With me, Chris the Visitor Guy.

Enough yapping, how about some maps?

Last Saturday was a wee bit on the windy side, which did cut down on the sightings. First hobby for the year was nice though, and completed our list of summer migrants.

As you can see, Sunday was a bit calmer, and hence a bit more busy!

The turtle doves have definitely…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 20 - 26 April 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the visitor guy. And yes, your eyes are not deceiving you. This blog IS actually going out on a Friday night. Well, there is some pretty good stuff out there, so despite the promise of rather windy weather for this tomorrow I figured there may be quite a few people who would want to make weekend plans.

So, with no further ado, let's hit…

• Why is there so much water?

Another blog here from Jenny, our Visitor Experience Intern. This week she is looking at a question that lots of our visitors have been asking. "Why is there so much water?"

----------------------------

If you’re heading over to Frampton Marsh over the next few weeks you might notice it currently looks a little bit like Atlantis, only wetter. Don’t worry, we’re not reopening as an aquarium. The habitat is carefully…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 13 - 19 April 2019

Howdy folks, and welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings. With me, Chris the visitor guy.

Phew! Bit of a busy time in the world of visitor experience, with all the Easter activities on. Hence this coming out on Saturday, rather than Friday. Hope no-one minds too much. Nor that this is going to have to be another bare-bones quick one. So, what do we have for you? Cue the maps...

Right, I really really…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 6 - 12 April 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the Visitor Guy.

A bit later than I'd have liked this week, been a busy time with the Easter holidays on. So we will waste no time and crack on with the maps, with minimal commentary from me..

Sorry, no map for the Sunday

I will save up the photos and put them in next week's blog.

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 30 March - 5 April 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the Visitor Guy.

Well, ever more evidence that spring is on the way this week. With the slight hiccup of Wednesday, with hail and sleet. Oh well, ne'er cast a clout til May be out. And no sign of any hawthorn blossom yet. What there is sign of though are sightings map. Look, there they are, just below...

So the long-billed dowitcher…

• Quiet Hour at Frampton

Last week our visitor experience intern Jenny talked about the Easter activities we are running at the reserve. But not all families like to be in busy places, especially if they have children with autism or sensitivity to stimulae. Not to worry, we have it covered. Read on to find out more...

-------------------------

During the Easter holiday we will be holding two ‘Quiet hours’ outside of public opening hours. These…

• Easter Fun at Frampton!

In the next of our regular blogs from our visitor experience intern Jenny, she looks at our Easter activities...

---------------------------

Now the weather is starting to get a little warmer, it’s a great opportunity to spend time outdoors and connect with nature. From feathered friends arriving to nest over the summer to exciting family activities, here’s why you should be adding a trip to Frampton Marsh to your Easter…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 23 - 29 March 2019

OK, getting this out on a Friday this week, as the weather looks lovely, the winds are from the south, and so this could be a good time for an influx of both summer migrants and also birdwatchers. What is there to be seen? Well, we will let the maps say it all...

A pretty full board there, and a good variety too. Mostly…

• Dog-friendly Frampton!

In the next of her to-be-regular blog posts, Jenny our visitor experience intern looks at the offer the reserve has for dog owners...

------------------

Looking for somewhere new to take your furry friend?

Frampton Marsh is an excellent space for dog walking. Dogs are welcome on all the public footpaths around the reserve and on the sea bank. This includes a lovely walk down to the mouth of the River Witham. The only…

• Frampton Marsh (and Freiston Shore) recent sightings: 16 - 22 March 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to a slightly delayed recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the visitor guy!

Yes, apologies this is somewhat late going to press, it has been a busy old time. No messing about now though, straight onto the maps.

A bit damp last Saturday, but double mustelid action was nice. And if you were wondering who Matthew Flinders was.... he was a local Lincolnshire lad turned explorer.

St Patrick's Day…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 10 - 15 March 2018

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings with me, Chris the Visitor Guy. Fresh from some time off, which is why there wasn't a sightings blog last week. So lets get straight back onto it, with this week's maps.

As you can see from last Sunday's map, the avocets are starting to come back in numbers. Always a good sign of spring.

Though old faithfuls like the long-billed dowitcher and…

• A Fresh Face at Frampton - part deux!

After the blog post earlier this week in which we introduced our new conservation intern, we now have another 'hello' blog. This time we'd like to introduce Jenny, who will be the Visitor Experience intern for the next six months. Take it away Jenny!

----------------------------------------------

Hi! I’m Jenny and for the next six months I will be joining the team at RSPB Frampton Marsh as a visitor experience…