Spessart-Mountain-Range (Germany)update June 5th and 9th 2014

Hello!

having worked four nightshifts and two weekends last week, I have a few days off now. So I have quite a few plans for outings, depending on the developement of the weather, of course. This will hopefully be my first report with some pictures (mainly landscape again, but believe me, the landscape is very beautiful again! And I'm more useful at taking pictures of landscapes anyway, as it does not move ;-)  )

I don't remember if I've ever mentioned that I live in a town that is situated between three different mountain-ranges, the Vogelsberg-Mountains in the north, the Rhön-Mountains in the east (both of them of volcanic origin) and in the south we have the Spessart-Mountains.

This trip took us to a place called "Wiesbütt" in the Spessart-Mountains. Today, on a tuesday, we were the only people there, but it is a good place for a weekend. There is a restaurant (closed today), a campground, several carparks and marked ways for walks (all between 2 and 10 kilometres long / short).

May I please start with the Coat-of-Arms of the village there my mother grew up? You will like it, I'm sure:

When I suggested going there today, I had secretly in my mind looking for Crossbills. We were disappointed there, but there were so many other birds: A family of Jays, Firecrests, Goldcrests, a Common Buzzards, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Blackbirds to name just a few. I was surprised to see Crested Tits. A pity that I could not get a photo, but they were very high up in a tree.

And now: Please enjoy the pictures:

The tour we chose took us along this narrow but long strip of swamp

All the time these butterflies kept us company

How shocking: A feral pig ????????

A Heron paid a short visit

There were also two Moorhen with their chicks (can you spot the chick in the picture?):

Thank you for looking!

Kind regards, Bente

• Hello after another beautiful day in the Spessart-Mountains.

We had a nice 8-km-walk near the village Marjoß, which is famous for its crockery, although the business has declined. Afterwards we came through another village, Burgjoß, where we stopped at a Cafe and had capuccino and cake. The ending -joß of both names indicates that they are named after the little river Jossa. During our walk we heard many usual suspects like Goldcrest, Firecrest, Blackbird, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff nad Great Spotted Woodpecker. And we've seen Nuthatch, Wren, Songthrush, Jay, Heron, Robin and even a Dipper. It was very difficult to get pictures of the birds, so once again I've got mainly landscapes.

A view of the river Jossa

Can you see the Heron?

Remains of trees with teethmarks of beavers. What a pity that there were no beavers to be seen.

Aquilegia

Wild strawberries in the woods

I don't know much about dragonflies and damselflies, but this seems to be a Beautiful Demoiselle ( Isn't this a very appropriate name?)

Another tree worked on by beaver

And finally a quick, bad picture from the Dipper

Thank you once again for looking!

I hope you had a nice day yourselves!

Regards, Bente

• Hello again, although I'm a bit worried. Not one single comment since my last post? I hope it is only because you are having good weather over there in Great Britain. However: On Saturday June 07th my parents and I went to my mother's birthplace in the Spessart-Mountains and had a walk to a little spring right in the middle of the woods. There were no human sounds to be heard (Once I asked my Mum and Dad to try to be completely quiet, because I wanted to know how that feels. But this is nearly impossible)

A farmer had been making hay, so there was this bird of prey (a buzzard?) hoping for something to eat

A little glimpse at the mountains / hills of Spessart

A slow-worm / blindworm on the footpath. It looks dead, but was probably only cold. Anyway, it moved when I touched it gently

Larva of Caddisfly in the water af the little spring

The little spring named "Asmannsbörnchen". You can actually drink the water, it is cold and delicious (and I'm still alive and all well after trying it)

A picturesque clearing in the woods

This was a perfect way to spend the day, as in the woods temperatures were still tolerable, while in the fields we had more than 30°C.

Kind regards, Bente