Kingfisher in Crete

Last  year we were in a small village in Crete ( Sissi )  , While I was swimming in the sea I noticed a Kingfisher diving for fish, So I sat on the rocks for a while and took this picture.

I always thought  Kingfishers were only found near rivers.

• Simmo said:

Last  year we were in a small village in Crete ( Sissi )  , While I was swimming in the sea I noticed a Kingfisher diving for fish, So I sat on the rocks for a while and took this picture.

I always thought  Kingfishers were only found near rivers.

Hi simmo

I must admit I always thought the same, but clearly this one was an exception. Perhaps a shallow pool of water gets left behind in the rocks. If he's successfully caught fish there in the past, he will remember it as a place where he might catch fish and fish in the same spot again.

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• We are going back to Sissi in September, So I will see if it's still there,    There is also a small harbour where we also see Kingfishers diving , But so far they have been to quick for me to photograph.

• Hello Simmo, I have never seen a kingfisher in such a setting but whether they usually do or don't, may I say how much I love your photograph. It is brilliant. I hope you see them again in September and are able to take more pictures.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 14/08/2010 11:50 in reply to Brenda H

Hello Simmo and welcome to the RSPB Forum.  Enjoy yourself here

Super picture and super setting.

Never seen Kingfisher in this setting either - looks a bit bizare

I hope that you see him/her once more in the near future

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Hi simmo

A few years ago I spent several (non birdwatching) holidays on Paxos a small island south of Corfu. On a number of occasions I remember seeing the electric blue of a kingfisher flashing across the rocky coves. Like you I was quite surprised to see them.

With so many of the Greek isands being very dry with little in the way of fresh water they must have adapted to fishing in the sea. At least, that's my theory.

You did well to capture an image.

Regards TJ

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

•  

Hi guys,

I'm going to give you guys  a mild rebuke here for not reading decent Bird Books :))  LOL

Any decent  text book on British birds will tell you that our Kingfisher ( River Kingfisher as it is referred to on occasion) moves to the coast in winter here in Britain as upland and inland rivers freeze :)

The coast in GB is often a good reliable place to see Kingfishers in winter. :)) ergo they can hunt in salt water if necessary .

Mediterranean birds move along the coast in autumn , migrating at night :)

Habitat for ( river )  Kingfisher includes coastal mangroves, overgrown wooded streams etc

:)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• OK Seymour.Yours is the second rebuke I have received on the subject. OH reminded me that I had seen them !! Thank you though. I deserve it.

• Hi Simmo

Great shot in a most unexpected place.

No wonder I'm still waiting to see my first Kingfisher, I looking in the wrong place.

So it's off to the wonderful island of Crete next time I go looking.

Robert

• We are in Sissi now, 4th October 2022 and have seen a kingfisher three times now. All sightings were near or in the harbour. The latest was one hour ago at 6pm as the light began to fade. A thrilling sight as neither of us has seen a kingfisher before despite living many years close a river (Welland, south Lincs).