2012 - Lesbos in Spring- again

Hi-

I shall be going to Lesbos this spring as usual with a carful  of friends. After checking out the migration there we'll be  moving on to northern Greece to explore some new regions we haven't visited before looking for breeding spp.

I hope to post digi-scoped stuff when I get back - there'll be quizzes.

Here's a taster-

I'm not bad at photographing birds but I'mquite  good at finding them :)

S

• Oh how exciting. Looking forward to some great threads stretching our knowledge!! Have a ball when you go.

Wonderful to hear that you are driving with a car full. Havn't flown since 1999, trying to reduce carbon footprint, so tend holiday in the UK (- Scot)!! Always do a bird + wildlife list - would love to see yours from this trip.

•  

Hi-

it's our 4th spring on Lesbos, I always put 3 people in the car- unless with a mini bus full:)

S

• seymouraves said:
    northern Greece

Are you going to Lake Dojran on the FYRM border with Greece?

•  

Hi-

Lake  Kerkini surrounds, Dadia forest, across to the Evros Delta. We'll major on the mountains and the raptors etc.

S

• I'm between 3 in the car + minibus here, but the noise!

Often have 'me' + 5/6, don't get anywhere v fast, but the fun!! Lots of MP3 with Harry potter + singing kettle - you've not lived till you have spent 4+ hrs listening to Singing Kettle -a scottish way of life with under 8's!! Archos + the ability to watch films makes long car journeys manageable for us. As few stops for toilet as I can engineer!! Have driven from Folkestone to home with NO stops 2/3 times, means we get home a lot earlier.

•  

I just have gabbling birders to amuse me

S

• Once on a car journey from the South coast of Hampshire to North of the Lake District, I suggested to my dad that it would be a good opportunity to play my CD of bird songs and calls over and over until I had learnt them all.

For some reason, he didn't seem keen, and when I checked the glove compartment five minutes after we left, my bird CD had mysteriously disappeared.

Some people are just no fun.

BB

• Hi

Lesbos birding list-

The basic everyday avifauna is Crested Larks, Corn Buntings, Black eared wheatears  and spanish sparrows around the fields .

Common migrants are Whinchats, Woodchats,  yellow wagtails, hirundines and Pied Flycatchers.

Nightingales,  Cettis and Great Reed warblers sing from ditches and flooded fields around the salt pans are crammed with Glossy Ibis, Terns, squacco herons,  the common waders are Wood sandpipers.

Other spp around the island at known stake outs which are fairly straight forward are Isabelline wheatear, Sombre tit,  Blue Rock Thrush,  Cretzchmar's bunting, Rock Nuthatch, Crag Martin, Cirl Bunting,  short toed eagles are commonplace as are Masked shrikes.

On  a good migrant fall day expect to see Wood warbler, Golden Oriole, redstart, red rumped swallow, hobby,   bee eaters, red footed falcons, Tuertle doves.

Local stake out birds are Scops Owl, Krupers Nuthatch and  Olive Tree and Ruppell's warblers.

An hour at the salt pans in late afternoon should produce flamingo, spotted redshank, KP, with possible whiskered terns pratincole,

A typical week in mid- late April should give you about 175 spp. Typical highlight birds would be Montagu's harrier, Roller, wryneck, spotted crake, lesser grey shrike, Rufous Bush Robin, Red breasted flycatcher, Spur winged plover or Citrine wagtail.

:)

S  

•  

Hi-

just returned from Lesbos and northern Greece;

a few digi-scoped images above- Lake Kerkini

S

• Hi-  made a few improvements in my  Lumix technique-  photos to follow soon.

S