Spessart-Mountain-Range (Germany)update June 5th and 9th 2014

Hello!

having worked four nightshifts and two weekends last week, I have a few days off now. So I have quite a few plans for outings, depending on the developement of the weather, of course. This will hopefully be my first report with some pictures (mainly landscape again, but believe me, the landscape is very beautiful again! And I'm more useful at taking pictures of landscapes anyway, as it does not move ;-)  )

I don't remember if I've ever mentioned that I live in a town that is situated between three different mountain-ranges, the Vogelsberg-Mountains in the north, the Rhön-Mountains in the east (both of them of volcanic origin) and in the south we have the Spessart-Mountains.

This trip took us to a place called "Wiesbütt" in the Spessart-Mountains. Today, on a tuesday, we were the only people there, but it is a good place for a weekend. There is a restaurant (closed today), a campground, several carparks and marked ways for walks (all between 2 and 10 kilometres long / short).

May I please start with the Coat-of-Arms of the village there my mother grew up? You will like it, I'm sure:

When I suggested going there today, I had secretly in my mind looking for Crossbills. We were disappointed there, but there were so many other birds: A family of Jays, Firecrests, Goldcrests, a Common Buzzards, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Blackbirds to name just a few. I was surprised to see Crested Tits. A pity that I could not get a photo, but they were very high up in a tree.

And now: Please enjoy the pictures:

The tour we chose took us along this narrow but long strip of swamp

All the time these butterflies kept us company

How shocking: A feral pig ????????

A Heron paid a short visit

There were also two Moorhen with their chicks (can you spot the chick in the picture?):

Thank you for looking!

Kind regards, Bente

• It sounds as though you deserve a break after all your all your hard work.

I like the coat of arms of your mother's village. A Black Woodpecker is a good sign. I saw a few of those on my trip to the Czech Republic last month but sadly no photos.

It looks like a nice area to visit. What is the butterfly, some kind of Fritillary? Was that a Wild Boar? If so quite a close encounter.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Unknown said:
    What is the butterfly, some kind of Fritillary? Was that a Wild Boar?

Hello TeeJay,

the damselfly was a Four Spotted Chaser, as far as I can say. With butterflies I'm not good, either, but it is some kind of Fritillary. They were everywhere, really beautiful.

Yours, Bente

• Wonderful thread and photos of your beautiful country surrounds Bente, it is stunning;   I love your village coat of arms with the special Black Woodpecker on it;    I was looking at butterflies and was wondering if your fritillary was a High Brown ?  

Regards, Hazel 

• Hello Hazy,

thank you for your kind comment.

I really have no definite idea about the Fritillary-butterfly. But I think that my Dad posted one of his own pictures on the Lepi-Forum to have it identified. If you and TJ like, I can post the result here.

Yours, Bente

• Unknown said:
    But I think that my Dad posted one of his own pictures on the Lepi-Forum to have it identified. If you and TJ like, I can post the result here.

that would be interesting to know Bente as it all adds to our knowledge, thanks :)   as for Moths, I will never remember all the names that Hazel has managed to accumulate with her moth traps, its amazing how many there are.

Regards, Hazel 

• Hi Bente. It looks like you had a nice day off work in a lovely part of your countryside. I also like the coat of arms with the Woodpecker on it and also the photo of the Moorhen sheltering her chick is great.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Hi Bente- a well deserved day off I think,how fantastic to spend it in what looks like a beautiful area of varied habitats.Always lovely to see your part of the world,so thanks for sharing. I do like your "feral pig"-bet it let you get really close,ha ha!

Jayne

See my Flickr photos here.

• Hello again,

I had promised to tell you about the Fritillary-Butterfly: It seems to be Boloria selene, the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary.

Regards, Bente

• Looks a wonderful mixture of habitat Bente.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Unknown said:
    I had promised to tell you about the Fritillary-Butterfly: It seems to be Boloria selene, the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary.

Thanks for the butterfly ID, Bente. I think we do get them in the UK but I don't think I've ever seen one.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream