RSPB Burton Mere with Hazel & Mike

I had said from my previous but short visit to Burton Mere, I would return with more time in the day to chill out and enjoy the reserve, though my first visit wasn't a waste. For a reccie, it was very rewarding, and frustrating in that I had to be home before teatime.

For those interested, you can read about that visit here: RSPB Burton Mere 19th May

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/276972/rspb-burton-mere-19th-may/1350662#1350662

For those who have seen Hazel's post, you can read it here in Hazel's post in Odds & Sods 2021, and I strongly recommend you do,  there is a cracking short video.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/275513/odds-sods-2021/1358117#1358117

The return visit had been in the planning almost straight after that visit, with Hazel and Mike offering to join up with me on my return. But, with various diary engagements, and the weather, yes, that rain we all kept having and probably forgotten about!

After an unbelievably good drive up, no speeding (yes I'm a good boy these days, plus the dash cam would give me away if I twisted the truth), I arrived much earlier than anticipated.

The weather was hot, but nicely hot with a decent breeze to take the edge of the heat and the day started with a couple of guys who seemed to be interested in dragonflies, which was good and helpful when it came to identifying them.

The pools were a little quiet, but that is to be expected at this time of year, but as always, there's something to see.

As always, any corrections are always welcome, I'm still learning......

I will apologies upfront, I got a little, no, make that a lot, carried away....

Hazel also posted a photo of this same comma butterfly, but from a different angle.

A black tailed skimmer on the fence leading up to Marsh Covert Hide

Lapwing on the Bridge Pool

Right by the Bridge Screen were some poppies, nicely in flower,

Also on the Bridge Pool, a great white egret.

Little & Large, on the Bridge Pool....

Then around to the new hide, Inner Marsh Hide, overlooking the Centenary Pool, lapwings

A juvenile black headed gull

If the flies didn't get  us, this swallow seemed to be aiming for us!

Ok, not a brilliant pair of photos, but it does show a story, a swallow swallowing some poor insect

and then like a phoenix rising from the ashes, a swallow rising from the water!

A juvenile great white egret coming in to Centenary Pool

Mummy Mallard and youngsters....

From Inner Marsh Hide, we took a wander up to the seed rich fields according to the official reserve map, and there were goldfinches. TBH, along the path to and from the Inner Marsh Hide, there were lots of goldfinches fliting around...

Heading back to the visitor centre for lunch, two lots of greylag geese flew overhead.

A juvenile moorhen on the Woodland Pool

After lunch, we took a wander over to the Bunker Hide, it was nice and cool in there, before moving on the the end of the trail, where there was a mixed flocks, of swallows,

Preparing the plumage for that long flight darn sarf....

Oi, oo you lokin' at?

a swallow and sand martin eyeing each other up....

and house martins

Even a female linnet

There were greenfinches

Even a swallow decided to branch out....

It was a brilliant day, even though the reserve seemed quiet, it wasn't, and many thanks to Hazel and Mike, the company was more than a pleasure, and it was nice to put faces to names.

Those who are older enough to remember, Shaw Taylor and Police 5, the closing phrase: "Keep them peeled...."

Police 5 - YouTube