• The Advancing Year at Radipole Lake

A beautiful day at Radipole Lake today with sunshine and blue skies. Though many of us are still walking around with our T-shirts and sandals there is a distinctly autumnal feel to the reserve. The days are getting shorter and cooler in the evenings. The autumnal chill in the air is becoming more noticeable as we approach the last week of September. 

Radipole Lake

Radipole Lake

On my way down to the hide, I noticed that there are less flowers…

• Kingfisher Weekend at Radipole Lake

Saturday 17 September and Sunday 18 September

10.00 a.m. - 4.00 p.m.

Price: Free

Do you want to see Kingfishers in the heart of Weymouth? It's the best time of year to see them so drop into our Discovery Centre over our Kingfisher weekend. We'll have volunteers on hand to direct you to the best view points and telescopes will be set up for you to have a great view.

Kingfisher at North Hide

Photo Credit: Rachel H

In addition there…

• Happy 40th Birthday to Radipole Lake!

Back in 1976:

• The UK was basking in a heatwave peaking at 35.9°C (96.6°F), parts of South West England had no rain in July and August for 45 days
    • Team GB competed in the Winter Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria winning 1 gold medal (John Curry, ice skater, becomes Britain's first gold medalist)
    • Team GB competed in the Summer Olympics in Montreal, Canada winning 3 gold, 5 silver and 5 bronze medals
    • Southampton…
  • Radipole Lake's Furry Critters

We have been lucky enough to see sightings of some of our more elusive shy furry creatures on both our reserves and we have photographic evidence thanks to some of our visitors.

Fox on Radipole Lake

Fox on Radipole Lake

Photo Credit: Fox Images by Nicki Maslen

The Fox has been seen from our Discovery Centre window several times cautiously stalking the birds much to the delight of our visitors, particularly the children.  The Fox is likely to be a cub born…

• Fifty Shades of Pink

Well, maybe not quite that many shades. During the summer months of July and August, Radipole's hedgerows have a distinct pinky-purpley tinge to them. Below are the wild flowers you can currently see on the reserve, in their various shades of pink and purple.

Great Willowherb

Purple Loosestrife

Great Willowherb also know as Codlins-and-Cream is a tall plant and easily recognised with its large flowers and softly downy stalk and seed pods. It grows…

• WaderFest at Weymouth Reserves and other Recent Sightings

July is the the time when we starting noticing the changes in birds and flowers which signals that we are advancing towards late Summer/Early Autumn. This month has been warm and dry, water levels are slightly lower than normal, therefore more muddy areas have been exposed which means lots of waders visiting Weymouth! Many of the waders are now on passage and juveniles are fledging and exploring.

Common Sandpiper

Our WaderFest began…

• Marsh Harrier Update

Marsh HarriersNow is a good time to come to Radipole Lake and Lodmoor to see our resident Marsh Harriers. Both pairs have successfully bred this year with 3 juveniles each so potentially we can see 10 Marsh Harriers on the wing. There were very good views of the Harriers in front of the North Hide lunchtime calling to their juveniles. At times the Harriers were flying very close to the hide providing a spectacular sight. This photo…

• Radipole Lake's Orchids All in Flower

All of Radipole Lake's orchids are in currently in flower. This is likely to be the last opportunity to see our Brown Bee Orchid at its best this weekend as the flower at the top of the plant is in bloom. A couple of the typical Bee Orchids are still flowering but will be going over in the next week or so.

Bee OrchidBrown Bee Orchid

Southern Marsh OrchidPyramidal Orchid

The Southern Marsh Orchids are at their peak with 30 in flower. Most are on the path on the way to the North…

• Summer Walks at Radipole Lake

Radipole Reedbed Ramble

Monday 4 July to Monday 12 September

2.30 pm-4.30 pm

Price: £3 per person

Booking essential

Join us for a guided series of walks and activities to help you feel comfortable & confident in the outside environment. We'll be enjoying the natural habitat at Radipole in a sensory way. These sessions are Dementia friendly and open to all. 

Cost: £3 per person (covers the cost of staff…

• Marsh Harrier Juveniles Fledged at Radipole Lake

Good news from Radipole! For the 8th year running our resident Marsh Harriers have successfully nested, and the three youngsters were seen in flight yesterday with mum and dad in attendance. So you could potentially see 5 of these magnificent birds of prey, right here in the centre of Weymouth.

Juvenile Marsh Harrier 2011

To help a bit I have posted a couple of pictures, one of a juvenile from 2011, note the creamy orange head, and one of the…

• Sightings at Lodmoor and Radipole Lake, Early Summer 2016

Lodmoor had the best of the recent sightings. A booming Bittern was there from 8th May although it's gone quiet now. Other highlights include up to 10 species of waders including Black Winged Stilt (10th May), summer plumage Knot and Grey Plover, Little Stint, lots of Whimbrel and a couple of Avocet.  A Bee Eater, Hoopoe and Red Rumped Swallow were the standout species but also Short Eared Owl, Turtle Dove, Garganey…

• Brown Bee Orchid is Back!

The Brown Bee Orchid is back with us again this year! It was found a few days ago a short distance away from last year's plants. I took these photos on the Buddleia Loop this morning. 

Brown Bee OrchidOphrys apifera var atrofuscus

I counted 4 Bee Orchids this morning, all with different markings on the lower lip. Southern Marsh Orchids are up to 4 plants in the hedgerow on the way down to the North Hide. The numbers of both orchids are expected to increase…

• Orchids on Radipole Lake

In the last week Radipole Lake's Orchids are starting to appear on the reserve. This morning on my walk round, I found two Bee Orchids on the Buddleia Loop and one Southern Marsh near the bridge going towards the North Hide. No reports yet of our famous Brown Bee Orchid (Ophyrus apifera var atrofuscus). They usually make their first appearance in the middle of June but we are all on the look out  and I hope to report…

• Recent Sightings at Radipole Lake and Lodmoor

Spring has been slow starting this year but we are now getting reports of cygnets and ducklings on both reserves. The Cetti's and Reed Warblers are continuing to be noisy in the reedbeds and butterflies are starting to be seen more frequently. Today's sightings include the Common Blue, Holly, Blue Speckled Wood and Brimstone. Orange Tips have been frequently seen in the past week. A Blue-tailed Damselfly was seen this…

• Black Winged Stilt and Booming Bittern at Lodmoor

It is waderfest over at Lodmoor now! A number of species are can seen including up to 100 Dunlin, Knot, Grey Plover, Common and Green Sandpiper, Bar Tailed Godwits and Whimbrel. The waders are now looking their best in their stunning summer plumage. The Terns have arrived including the rarer Little Tern and the Oystercatchers are also now nesting. I actually saw an Oystercatcher on the train tracks at Weymouth station…

• Terns, Voles and Flowers at Radipole Lake

The Hoodie

The reed beds were alive with the sound of birdsong as I walked around Radipole Lake this gorgeous sunny morning. I could see and hear Cetti's, Reed and Sedge Warblers chirping away. Swifts were screaming overhead along with Swallows and Sand Martins.  The hedgerows are becoming more colourful now, plants coming into flower now include Cow Parsley, Hemlock Water Dropwort, Common Vetch, Common Comfrey, Common and…

• Radipole Lake Ducklings Toddler Group

Ducklings Toddler Group

Dates: Friday 13th May, Friday 10th June, Friday 8th July

Time: 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

Cost: £5 per child: includes organised session, juice drink and a hot drink for parents/guardians

Tufted Ducks

Radipole Lake presents a new nature themed toddler group for the under 4s who like to get outside!  Each session will have a wildlife theme and involve an activity outside, a craft activity or game and…

• My RSPB Experience

Hello there! My name is Tamsin and this is to be my one and only blog post as I am soon to be completing a 6-month stint as a volunteer at RSPB Weymouth Wetlands.  “I'm the intern here” is a phrase that I have so often used to introduce myself lately, having filled a permanent role with a short-term agreement which has seen many mostly young people pass through it.  I have so much enjoyed my time here.  Not…

• Brilliant Bird Snaperoos!

Like last Friday, it is a dull wet day at Radipole Lake.  From the Discovery Centre though, many Swallows and House Martins are darting across the lake. Two Little Egrets landed at the far end of the reed bed, a Water Rail was pottering among the reeds near the Coot which was sitting on her nest in front of the Discovery Centre window, and a lone Bearded Tit offered spectacular views as it was feeding.  An Oystercatcher…

• Sounds of Spring

Radipole Lake Reedbeds

Get up early to enjoy the sights and sounds of spring!

Led by an RSPB Guide, you'll find out about the creatures that live and breed on this unique urban reserve.

Sunday 1st May

7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.

RSPB Members £6, Non-Members £8, Children £2

Meet at RSPB Radipole Lake Discovery Centre

BOOKING ESSENTIAL

For more information and to book your place (s), contact Radipole Lake Discovery…

• Recent Sightings on the Weymouth Wetlands

It was a lovely sunshine as I walked around the reserve. I met with this morning's Welly Walk en route with several children enjoying looking at Radipole's wildlife.

On this morning's walk there is more Cow Parsley and Lesser Celandine coming into flower and there are now patches of Red Dead-Nettle and Ground Ivy. Along the board walk up to the North Hide the Greater Pond Sedge is starting to flower.Greater Pond Sedge

Butterfly…

• Easter Events at Radipole Lake

Cow ParsleyIt's a grey day at Radipole but spring is on its way. I found this Cow Parsley this morning in bloom, normally their flowering time is May but the leaves are up in December. I also saw the early signs of Lords and Ladies, Comfrey, Willow and Blackthorn coming into flower as well as the reserve's Bay Trees confirming that spring is on the move. Birds today include Pochard, Gadwall and Shoveler while the Spoonbills are…

• Recent Sightings at Radipole Lake

Alexanders by the Discovery Centre

It was warm and sunny this morning at Radipole Lake and spring is starting to emerge all over the reserve.

Flowers - Alexanders is in flower outside the Discovery Centre, Lesser Celandine, Primroses, Garden Bluebell, Violets are in bloom around the reserve.  Blackthorn is coming into flower and one Hawthorn on Radipole is in full leaf with flower buds which are starting to open in the warm sunshine.  Alder catkins are…

• Ladies Days at Radipole Lake

It's a lovely sunny day on the reserve today. Lodmoor currently has 5 Spoonbills and the female Marsh Harrier, a firecrest was reported at Lodmoor Country Park, while Radipole has the male Marsh Harrier, a Mediterranean Gull in the car park and cetti's warblers singing. 

Mediterranean Gull

Photo Credit: Stephanie Calvert

Sunday 6th March is Mother's Day. Free hot drink for all Mums! Judy, Friday DC volunteer, has been arranging…

• Upcoming Events at Radipole Lake

Daffodils and HyacinthIt was sunny this morning when I went for a walk around the reserve. There are signs of springs coming through. One of the hawthorn trees is coming into leaf, the cow parsley and the paths are leaving up with hemlock water dropwort and cow parsley leaves. I found a single lesser celandine flower, violets peeking through their leaves and some miniature daffodils with a hyacinth.  

I also saw a welcome sight of a flock…