Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Pond water circulation

Hello everyone,

We cleared out our garden pond at the end of October 09, re-lined it, refilled & planted all in the same day.  The fish thought their birthdays had all come at once!  It is now trying to rebalance itself after the early spring growth & we have barley straw starting to do its work.  However we feel that some form of water circulation would improve things for all concerned & have been wondering about a floating solar fountain.  Our pond is 8' x 8', circular, & approx. 3' or so deep in the centre.  Has anyone got any experience of these, or any alternative options?  We would be grateful for any information on the subject.

Zebedee

Retired & loving it, a scot living in the south of England.

• I haven't got a pond, too many a kiddlywinks in too small a gaden, so I just borrow the wildlife from next doors well estalished one, including toads frogs + newts!! Yipee.

I have heard that putting watercress in your pond, the sort you get in the shops, with the wee white roots showing, you just throw it in, really helps with keeping blanket weed at bay. As its a native water plant I'd love to know if this works!!

'In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks'  John Muir.       

Excuse wobbily dyslexic spelling!

• Hi osprey

Have not heard about using watercress to keep blanket weed at bay so will make a note of that and try it later in the year.

Rachel

It's not always easy to hug a hedgehog.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

• Hello Ruby,

If your pond is in a sunny spot then providing there is sun you should get a jet of water with a floating fountain. Our pond is not large, 7ft diameter approx., with fish & we just need something to move the water a bit.  The maximum jet is approximately 8" (20cm) on a very bright day, less when there are clouds or it is dull. Ours is not the cheapest one on the market, nor is it the most expensive, but most retailers have a refund system if not satisfied so it might be worth a go.  As far as needing one is concerned, if your plants are aerating the water well & the pond is well sited, you probably won't need one.

Best wishes,

Zebedee

Retired & loving it, a scot living in the south of England.