Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Watercress and blanket weed?

I read on here that watercress (with roots) can be used in a pond to help to help keep the water clear and control blanket weed.

I now have said watercress (with roots) and was wondering how to put in the pond. Do I plant it in a pot with soil or just gravel or just let it float about!

Ready and waiting for any advice! Waiting

Rachel

It's not always easy to hug a hedgehog.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

• Hi Rachel

I've had a little look on Google and I think you can just chuck it in the pond and it roots itself.

See here for some advice

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/vegging-out/watercress-cuttings_13985.html

Pipit x

• Thanks Pipit

I think I shall put it in a pot with gravel just so it looks a bit tidier!

Does anyone know if it actually works?

I shall see myself soon enough I suppose!!

Off to do that now.

Rachel

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 26/03/2011 18:38 in reply to doggie

Yes, Alan has a point.

I read that it isn't a good idea to eat pond watercress (raw anyway) but it does clear blanket weed.

Cheers

Pipit

• I don't have running water so will just wait and see!

• Yes I put water cress in my pond last year. Bought a bag from Sainsburys, and just chucked a few stems in. Within days it had rooted itself around the edges..and its coming again this year. Couldn't be simpler.

• Mine has been in about 2 weeks and seems to be doing well.

• Watercress still doing well,had to cut it back!

I have planted it up in just gravel in a perforated pond pot.

I plant up all my other plants in aquatic soil in a hessian lined pot as I have always done.

Since blanket weed thrives on nutrients from soil etc I am now wondering if I could plant up everything in gravel with no soil?

Would there be enough nutrients in the water from the goldfish?

When I clean out the pond there is always a lot of sludge at the bottom and I think a lot of this is soil from the baskets.

Has anyone tried this?

I may have a go when I clean and see to the pond in the autumn just to see what happens!

Rachel

• Think it might have been me along with others that suggested this as a solution. Remember seeing it on an organicy based gardeny prog.

Delighted that its done so well that you are cutting it back already!! A bit early for blanket weed yet so here's hoping that you don't get any!!

My kids taddies are doing really well, this weather has seen them grew at a rate of knotes. Just wish that I had a pond to keep them all happily in, instead just a troughy bucket thing, it seems to be working fine!!

'In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks'  John Muir.       

Excuse wobbily dyslexic spelling!

• I already have blanket weed,so it is never too early!!

I have noticed that it is not quite as bad as usual but will have to wait for the summer to kick in before I can tell if it is going to be a sucess or not.

I also have barley straw logs in the pond.

• Yes, it does clear blanketweed very efficiently.  Unfortunately it also clears all your oxygenators and absolutely takes over the pond.  Be prepared to remove it when you notice everything else disappearing!