Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Pond water circulation

Hello everyone,

We cleared out our garden pond at the end of October 09, re-lined it, refilled & planted all in the same day.  The fish thought their birthdays had all come at once!  It is now trying to rebalance itself after the early spring growth & we have barley straw starting to do its work.  However we feel that some form of water circulation would improve things for all concerned & have been wondering about a floating solar fountain.  Our pond is 8' x 8', circular, & approx. 3' or so deep in the centre.  Has anyone got any experience of these, or any alternative options?  We would be grateful for any information on the subject.

Zebedee

Retired & loving it, a scot living in the south of England.

• Hello, sorry this is a bit late. I hesitated to reply because I have no experience of the floating solar fountains and was waiting for someone who did.

We dug a wildlife pond several years ago but we included a waterfall to help water circulation and because the noise and effect is so appealing. It was fine for years but then I found a frog with its leg trapped in the pump. Unfortunately, it did not survive. We demolished the waterfall as I didn't want to risk it happening again.

The pond has not been affected and we still have newts and frogs every year. I feel sure your pond will be OK without a fountain. However, I have also been thinking of buying a solar fountain. Mainly for the aesthetic value but also to see if it  improves water quality.

I hope someone who has used a solar fountain reads this post. If I buy one beforehand, I will let you know what effect it has, if any.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Kind regards Jane.

• Hi

We did have a solar fountain when we had the pond which was 12' by 10' and 4' deep (koi), but found it a little frustrating. When the sun was high so was the fountain and when it was dull and cloudy there was nothing. They have come on in leaps and bounds with this technology since we had ours so I would think they are much more efficient now. It also moved around the pond which helped stop any small areas of stagnation.We did have an eletric one and filtration system but the solar one was just handy for those little areas to freshen up

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• Hello Jef,

Thanks for the reply.  Info like yours is always valuable.  Improving the water quality is my main reason for asking. If you decide to install a solar fountain I shall be very glad to know of your experience with it.  In the meantime  do you have any marginals planted?  If so, what have you found to be pleasing & useful?  Hope you don't mind me asking, but when I look to see what is available, I am a bit overwhelmed.

Zebedee

• Thanks JudiM, that is very useful. I think it may be a good idea for my pond. As you say, it will just freshen it up a little and I am sure the fountains look and sound quite good (if it's sunny or course) :-)

I will put it on my shopping list!

Kind regards Jane.

• Thanks JudiM for your reply which has sort of confirmed what I thought might happen.  However as you say, things have moved on a bit since then so I won't give up the idea just yet! If you have any info on marginal plants which you think might be helpful, I shall be pleased to receive all the information I can get!

Zebedee

• Sorry Zebedee I think our posts crossed!.

I have some Butomus umbellatus (Flowering rush) which I would recommend. Grass like leaves, tall flower stalks (2.5 to 4 feet) with rose pink flowers in July and August. Recommended planting depth 3-5 inches but mine is growing in slightly shallower water and it will grow in boggy land at the edge of a pond. One of our most attractive native marginals.

I have also grown Caltha Marsh Marigold for years, a very pretty, reliable plant. [ It died recently and I have not replaced it yet.]. It is a marginal, although I grew it in the bog garden.

I also like Houttuynia, but be careful as it is invasive, grow it in a container. It has bluish-green heart shaped leaves and white flowers, the leaves have a very distinctive smell.

Water mint is another native and again invasive. I did not put it into a container and I have to keep digging it up to keep it in check but I do like it. Tiny lavender flowers which are attractive to bees.

Mimulus Monkey flower.( The birds must have brought this in for me as it just appeared!). There is one marginal, M.luteus height 9 inches planting depth 0-2 inches (0 - 5cm).Yellow flowers with red blotched petals. It is an annual, I think, and only appeared in my pond for two years, I wish I had propagated it.

Myosotis (Water forget me not) is a perennial and grows no more than 6-9 inches (15 - 23cm) high. It is a lovely little plant.

Veronica beccabunga (brooklime) has done really well in my pond. It grows 6-9 inches high, glossy olive green foliage, small blue flowers.

AVOID  Myriophyllum  (Parrot's feather) unless you want a marshy bog rather than a pond. Also wildlife groups are reporting that it is blocking up ponds and waterways as it has now spread from gardens. It is very invasive.

There are loads of others available and I am sure you will obtain other recommendations.

I hope this has been of some help.

Kind regards Jane.

• Thanks for taking the time to give me so much info Jef, I really appreciate it & shall spend some time checking these out & deciding on the ones which would suite our pond best of all. Thanks also for the warnings!

Zebedee

• I recently bought a solar fountain for my tiny pond which had got very stagnant after the winter.  I am really pleased with it as are the fox cubs who keep pulling the tubes out of the water. But I'm persevering and whilst it isn't a fountain it does keep the surface busy.

• That is very useful to know Nicola, thank you. I still haven't got round to buying a fountain yet. Would you mind mentioning what make yours is?

BUT.....of far more interest....fox cubs!!!!  You lucky thing, absolutely brilliant. Please say you have photos and even better, will post them on here. How long have they been visiting and how do you attract them? Or, did they just appear. We need details. :-)

Kind regards Jane.

• I ordered the pump from Greenfingers.com - its a solar oxygenator.  No, haven't got pictures of the cubs.  Most years there are cubs but this is the first year I've counted four.  They don't live in my garden but think they must be in a garden very nearby.  They tend to enjoy the morning sun in mine and obviously play there at night - the straw barley thing in the pond moved to the bottom of the garden, a tennis ball in the pond is now next door, and a very useful small brush appeared which I have kept. They are getting to the young fox stage now but still very playful and quite destructive of plants but lovely with it.  I live in rural Dalston, Hackney. Let me know how you get on with the pump.