Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Nest material hanging outside bird box

I have a bird box with blue tits nesting. Today the nest material is hanging outside bird box. Should I poke the material back into the bird box? Also noticed that the box was hanging to the right of vertical as if moved. This movement has happened a couple of times. Is this signs of an attack?
  • Sounds like it could be Jonathan, was writing to someone with the same type of problem,l don't know with the material, my gut feeling says see if the parents come back and put it back, do you know if there are eggs or young in there? yas

• Hi Jonathan, does look like something has been at the box. If there are chicks it could have been a cat or a larger bird trying to get to them. Was the box secured enough in the first place, could it have been the parents? If no chicks and birds going back and forth, leave well alone and see if they sort the nest material. If you see nothing happening and no chicks and the box is loose, you could quickly tighten it, I am sure that would be okay.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.