Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

How many pairs of Blackbirds do people have nesting in their garden areas?

Anonymous
Anonymous

Hi there

We have two lots of pairs of Blackbirds in our garden now - noted today.

One lot are on top of our Ivy Bush which is growing up one of our trellis {we cannot see the trellis due to the Ivy growth}

The other 2 seen to have taken to nest building in the bush directly behind our bird table

The males seen to get along and I have not seen any bad feelings between the males - though one males tail looks a bit in disarray now - maybe there is another reason for the disorganised tail feathers.

How many pairs of Blackbirds do people have in their garden and are they getting along alright?

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• I have one pair who feed, drink and bathe in my garden together. The male is busy collecting as many mealworms as he can hold in his beak, and I have seen the female do this once or twice. I assume because of this they have hatched chicks. The nest isn't in my garden, for which I shall be eternally grateful because I don't want fledglings in the undergrowth beneath the hedges that are unable to fly. My dogs might not understand!

Here he is:

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• None nesting, but two or three pairs who come here to eat.

They all seem to keep to their own areas of the garden, so no fighting.

BB

• I have no birds nesting in my garden, but for similar reasons to Sparrow with now 5 cats living next door i am very relieved about this.

Look forward to hearing how yours are doing though Kathy

Sarah

I've learned that I still have a lot to learn...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bramble67/

• Hello All,

I have been inundated with Blackbirds this year and have witnessed some dramatic scraps! I currently have two pairs who are in the garden most of the day and I have seen up to nine or ten on the lawn at any one time over the winter period. Six is the biggest count for spring so far.....none nesting in the garden though, I would imagine that they are nesting very close by!

I also had two regular pairs of Thrushes and they certainly get a bit 'shirty' with anything that gets too close to them or their food!!... It can get quite entertaining sometimes when they are all jostling for space and food!

• I don't have any blackbirds nesting in my garden but have a couple of pairs who regularly use the pond for bathing and they bring their fledglings here to feed.

I am hoping that some of my shrubs will soon be big enough for nesting in!

It's not always easy to hug a hedgehog.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 16/04/2011 06:59 in reply to Sparrow

Hi Sparrow

Thank you for your super photo of Mr Blackbird.  He is enjoying his Mealworms a whole lot

Glad to hear that they are nesting safely so nothing untoward happens.  I worry about the local neighbours cats in my garden but that subject had been cover a lot on here now

Yes, I have noticed the interest in food with our Blackies too.  A lot of food and fresh earth worms are been taken somewhere in the bushes at the moment.

The adult Blackbirds are wanting to fed by me 24/7 like they are the babies LOL

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Susan H said:

I have one pair who feed, drink and bathe in my garden together. The male is busy collecting as many mealworms as he can hold in his beak, and I have seen the female do this once or twice. I assume because of this they have hatched chicks. The nest isn't in my garden, for which I shall be eternally grateful because I don't want fledglings in the undergrowth beneath the hedges that are unable to fly. My dogs might not understand!

Here he is:

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 16/04/2011 07:04 in reply to higgy50

Hi Bramble

Thank you for your good wishes and I am looking to hear the patter of little feet soon or two lots in my case.  I will make sure they are safe and sound in my own garden.

Hope that you have more birds nesting in your garden in future times as they are so entertaining to watch.

Hi higgy

Wow what a lot of Blackbirds in your garden.  Is it quite a large one?  Hopefully not too many feathers will not fly for any reason, and any pain inflicted.

Each time we have any Song or Mistle Thrushes in our garden the Blackbirds chase them off like they see them as competition fro food to squabble with.  The Thrushes just scuttle off to keep out of trouble and back under the plant borders

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 16/04/2011 07:06 in reply to Badgerbread

Hi BB

I see that you have a Blackbird as your avator too - so they must be close to your heart too {big smile}

Hope that they nest and allow you into their lives bringing up their families

It is good that they are tolerant of one another as ours are.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Badgerbread said:

None nesting, but two or three pairs who come here to eat.

They all seem to keep to their own areas of the garden, so no fighting.

BB

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 16/04/2011 07:25 in reply to madpenguin

Hi madpenguin

Sorry to hear that your Blackbirds are passing by your garden.   Great news to see their fledlings though...and they do like their bath-times

You never know with Blackbirds, and nests,  All I know they are not the tidiest nesters, and do as little on the domestic front as they can.  I am sure it must be their downfall at times.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

madpenguin said:

I don't have any blackbirds nesting in my garden but have a couple of pairs who regularly use the pond for bathing and they bring their fledglings here to feed.

I am hoping that some of my shrubs will soon be big enough for nesting in!

• My wife & I are blessed to have a large & very diverse garden in NE Scotland. We feed a wide variety of birds throughout the year but more so in Autumn & winter. Because of this we have seen the blackbird population in the garden grow from just a couple of pairs when we moved here, 2.5 years ago to some 20 plus blackbirds now. They're the first to eat in the morning and the last at night. Often active into the early evening after dark when the other most prominent bird in the garden.. pheasants have nestled in the trees at night. We never tire of watching them feed & bathe & are thrilled to see them thriving so well.