One mystery solved and a bogey bird is no more....

• For me one of the delights of the Tour de France is admiring the french countryside en route. Your account just brought it all a little bit closer for me. Thanks for sharing it.

My gallery here

Checkout the forums' Community HOMEPAGE for lots of interesting posts from other members.

• In reply to Galatas:

What a lovely post,

it's great to read all about your life in France,

I hope Tufty leaves you some Hazelnuts

the way you write i can picture the beautiful country-side, it sounds gorgeous,

thanks for telling us all about it.

• In reply to sugar:

At the final count on Sunday when we returned to the UK a single cluster of two hazelnuts remained. I don't suppose that it's still there.....  

Every day a little more irate about bird of prey persecution, and I have a cat - Got a problem with that?

• In reply to John B (not the sloop):

Great post! The moth to me looks like a jersey tiger

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• In reply to IanH:

Looks that way Ian.  I've yet to find one in the UK.

Every day a little more irate about bird of prey persecution, and I have a cat - Got a problem with that?

• In reply to John B (not the sloop):

Likewise! I was interested to read on the UK moths site they are thriving somewhere in London, they might make it up here to Bedfordshire someday!

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• In reply to Lolly_24:

Sounds like a very special spot and I am glad Lolly found this post,  she is doing a better job than me catching up on missed threads.  Hopefully you have now spotted a Jersey Tiger

in the UK

Caroline in Jersey

Cin J

• In reply to Germain:

No Blighty based Jersey Tigers for me yet, but I live in hope......

A minor postscript.... On returning to the UK I chanced upon a case study released by a mineral extraction company regarding measures taken to conserve nesting Bee Eaters at two of their gravel pits neither too far from my French retreat. Seems like I'll need to do some more exporing next summer.....

• In reply to Birdie Wild:

Gorgeous photos and a brilliant read! Thank you!

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr