Croatia

Making this ahead of time - the count down has begun and provided I can get off the Island this afternoon this should be finally actually happening.  a few years in the planning and postponed twice - I'm actually fizzing with excitement 

Cin J

• Now it's confession time - I made a rookie error - I thought my camera battery was fully charged - it wasn't and I couldn't find my power pack so had to go onto mobile which soon went through it's battery as well so I can only offer a poor Heath Frit and a probably Heath frit cat for the afternoon efforts as everything else is just a record shot and it also means I cannot show you the glorious fresh Southern Festoon - but at least I managed to see it and have the memory.  I wasn't the only one caught out either so I actually don't feel too bad

Ropy Heath Frit - my first Fritillary and I found it all on my own Slight smile and Cat 

Here ends the first day - we saw many more flutters but I can't bring you photos

Overnight night we have a terrific thunder storm that at one stage triggered the emergency lighting - being all brits we totally ignored it and went back to sleep - since nobody was running around panicking it seemed the right response 

Cin J

• The next day was moving day. We drove down through some rain showers and low cloud

The coffee stop provided a fruitful stop and shelter from a heavy downpour

The cafe swallow enjoying a shower

Crag Matin

Cin J

• Sorry, I'm having to do this a bit at a time as the system threw a hissy 

Are we nearly there yet?

Ooooo I see the sea

The hotel had 2 active swallow nests with young 

Once the bags were dropped off we went to explore a nearby gorge 

Cin J

• Off into the gorge we went - being a little cautious as Horned Viper is reported in the area 

Lots of Skippers about  

Lulworth

Blue-spot Hairstreak 

Tufted Marble Skipper

Woodland Grayling

Assassin bug

Scarce Swallowtail

and the star of the show 

Little Tiger Blue

Cin J

• I tell you something Cin.... I can't wait to get home and see these on a big screen. Absolutely stunning!! How many were new to you? Or had you been foreign butterflying before?
  • I think about 18 species were know to me so about 90 were new :) I may possibly have seen some as a child but I have no memory of them

Cin J

• We then moved on for a mooch along a lane - there was one particular garden that had the most wonderful lavender bushes and every single one played host to a large number of butterflies

Cin J

• Lots of Clouded Yellows

I am a tree 

I thought this house with the Bougainvillea looked lovely

Before dinner a few of us went for a wander over the road from the hotel 

I found these two Frits and after some pouring over the books and checking forewing and hind wing and underwing they were identified as male and female Spotted Fritillary

This Antlion was also seen - which given the number of ant nests about wasn't too surprising 

All accompanied by the songs of Nightingale and purring of Turtle Dove and the beautiful scent of wild sage and thyme 

Cin J

• Fabulous update and photos CJ, what an interesting trip you had with such an abundance of insects along with beautiful scenery, flora and fauna. So many beauties to view and stunning detail on full screen.  love that tufted marble skipper especially so thanks for taking all the time to edit and upload, enjoying this thread very much :)

Regards, Hazel 

• Have you started your passport renewal yet?

Cin J