Croatia

Making this ahead of time - the count down has begun and provided I can get off the Island this afternoon this should be finally actually happening.  a few years in the planning and postponed twice - I'm actually fizzing with excitement 

Cin J

• The following day -day 4 we were off into the hills to potentially the most serene place I have ever been.  A Serbian Monastery set in the most beautiful valley.  

Some cracking views on the way to this remote place - there were little hamlets or solo dwellings on the way and it struck me that they have to be very resilient, hardy people living out there.

The first local we came across on our way to the fabulous water meadows was this chap 

Dalmatian Algyroides

This Small Copper caused a couple of us much confusion by being so dark

and then it appeared my first and yes, you have to look at it again because its just amazing

lots and lots of Marbled Whites

My first Mantid 

Tons of Blues (of various types) and beetles 

Orbed Red Underwing - I thought it was a Skipper 

That's just a small selection from the first Meadow 

Cin J

• Germain said:
    Have you started your passport renewal yet?

LOL Caroline,   I saw there was still a huge backlog with passports and my neighbours took 5 months and that was fast-track.  !!     As much as I'd like to visit Croatia with your wonderful post, the first trip will be to catch up with long lost brother and family who I last saw in 2009 and that won't be till mostly likely Autumn 2023 so if I apply now it might arrive just in time.  !!!

Regards, Hazel 

• Super photos. Great variety of stunning butterflies, moths and other insects. - many of which I've never heard of. I can almost smell the scent of the wild herbs and lavender. Tell me, what is the Hawk Moth. Google Lens came up with Broad-bordered bee hawk-moth but I'm not sure if that's correct.
    What were the hotels like? Did you get decent food? Trying local food is to me is an integral part of a trip abroad.
    Keep 'em coming.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Unknown said:
    Tell me, what is the Hawk Moth. Google Lens came up with Broad-bordered bee hawk-moth but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Olive Bee Hawk-moth was the conclusion we came to 

The first two hotels were very good, the third was a bit more basic guest house/hostel - food was good and plentiful - the only night I struggled a bit was when we had skate and deep fried squid - I'm a bit fussy about fish - having said that the first place gave us the most excellent local trout - it was delicious - and the Turkish coffee at the last place was really good 

.Hotel 1

Hotel 2 which had a small kitchen and huge bathroom, balcony and stunning view

Hotel 3

Cin J

• The walk over the bridge to the other water meadow

Common Clubtail

\

Large Tort

Longhorn beetle waving hello

Mammoth Wasp -  they are enormous

Southern Comma

Cin J

• Wandering in the water meadows on the other side of the bridge I spotted a tangle of what I thought were grass seeds - closer inspection revealed a mantis

Empusa fasciata

a newly emerged Emerald of some sort

lots of frogs

Cin J

• Lovely additions CJ, well spotted with the mantis too, certainly looked like blades of grass !

Regards, Hazel 

• It sounds amazing and really pleased that you enjoyed yourself, the two photos on this post are fabulous, can’t wait to see the others. I see that you live in Jersey we have been there around five times and loved it each time we have been there.
  • What I have seen so far are amazing, I bet your planning your next visit already