Huelva Marshes Spain

Hi all

Just thought I would share with you this photo of a Spoonbill seen in Huelva in the Adalucia Province in Southern Spain.

The SEO are doing a wonderful job in conserving the wildlife and land over there. I recommend going, there is so much to see and a diverse range of birds.

I saw this young Spoonbill at Huelva Marshes this year.

• Hi louloudi

Nice photo of the spoonbill.

I've been to the Coto Donana area several times. It's a great place for birds. Never been as far west as Huelva though. Looks like a good place to visit.

Regards TJ

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hi TeeJay

My pal and I are going to Donana last week in March 2012.

We did try to book a guide but he is fully booked at that time.

Any hints and tips you have would be gratefully received.

My gallery here

Checkout the forums' Community HOMEPAGE for lots of interesting posts from other members.

• Bump

My gallery here

Checkout the forums' Community HOMEPAGE for lots of interesting posts from other members.

• Sorry, Galatas, I've only just seen this post. I've been in hospital.

The only contact I know in the area is Stephen Daly. He's a Brit but has lived in Barbate for many years so knows the area very well indeed.. He runs his his own wildlife travel company in Andalucia. He does day trips as well as longer tours. He can be contacted here.

When visiting Donana I've always stayed in El Rocio. It's a strange place with the feel of the wild west about it. It is quite a good centre for the Donana area though. The town borders a large lagoon which if the winter has been wet should be full of water. Worth exploring all around this lagoon for water birds of various types including ibis, egrets etc.

The Donana park itself has restricted access and you can only go into it in the special vehicles. They do a tour which from memory lasts 2 - 3 hours. Probably not cheap but worth it.

It's certainly worth exploring the coast up towards Barbate. From memory there are salt pans which are good for waders, gulls and terns (not sure if they will have arrived by then). Plenty of hirundines should be arriving too by then

If you've got transport it's probably worth going east along the coast to Tarifa. This is a hot-spot for raptors, storks and hirundines migrating from Africa across the Strait of Gibraltar.

Hope this is of some help. I'll try to find some old trip reports which may highlight some good birding spots.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• TJ, nothing to do with Spain but I have just had a look at your latest photos.  Excellent shots of the red kite and Long tailed tits and the other aren't bad either!   I do like Extremadura in Spain, well away from the coastal reserves but well worth a visit or two.  

• Im touring the area in APril 2012- a change from Norfolk, and I'm hoping to ge a few species. How easy were Azure Winged Magpie, the sandgrouse and the Bustards when you where there?

• I was in Portugal last Spring. Azure-winged Magpies were plentiful like our own Magpies but just as difficult to approach for photos.

My gallery here

• Tee Jay , thanks for the info.  I hope your hospitalisation wasn't for anything too serious.

My gallery here

• Unknown said:

Im touring the area in APril 2012- a change from Norfolk, and I'm hoping to ge a few species. How easy were Azure Winged Magpie, the sandgrouse and the Bustards when you where there?

Michael,   I presume from the list of birds you might be referring to Extremadura rather than Huelva.   All these are very easy and viewable from the roads.  I would suggest looking on line as there are some good websites about. I always start with Martin Kelsey's site at  http://www.birdingextremadura.blogspot.com/.

It would be possible to link this with Coto Donana if you have the time and can fly to/from Seville.

Bob