Sri Lanka - taster

Just back from a great hiking holiday in Sri Lanka. Even though there was no "official" birding involved I did get to see some 120 species in the two weeks. I'll post a trip report later, but here's a taster or three...

This pair greet us at our first hotel - literally, one was on a tree just outside the door...

Asian Paradise Flycatchers

My favourite birds (you rarely see one by itself) were the Yellow-billed Babblers. Every morning at first light they'd be patrolling the hotel grounds, constantly chattering with each other and rummaging around your feet. Some birds have personality and these were one.

Yala National Park wasn't really worth it. The "jeep" safari was too fast and pretty uncomfortable, but we did manage to get the driver to stop a couple of times for birds...

Greater Coucal in the dusk

The outstanding birds were these Chestnut-headed Bee-eaters - one digging a new nest hole (the other was in a tree giving helpful advice - we presumed it was the female doing the work).

Bee-eaters were everywhere, here's a Green from another hotel garden (a very scruffy example if I may say so).

Finally, touch of home from Arugam Bay - a Common Kingfisher, although a rather confiding one.

Lots more to come, but 1200 photos to edit (NOT all birds) and stuff to write. Oh, and the Sri Lankan Hanging Parrot. It's tiny, it hangs upside down and it's a Parrot, they don't come much cooler than that :-)