Vienna in June - birds, insects and a mammal or two...

We had a lovely long weekend in Vienna - partially cultural, partially walking and always on the lookout for wildlife.

The birding started before we even disembarked, one Kestrel, two Buzzards and what looked very much like a Peregrine pursued by two Hooded Crows, seen from the taxiing plane.

We booked a hotel (Hotel An der Wien) on the edge of town, opposite the Lainzer Tiergarten - more of which later.

View from the hotel

Our first full day was spent in the gardens of Schonbrunn Palace and ogling the art in the Belevdere. The palace gardens have the great advantages of opening at 6am in the summer and of being free. There are acres of formal garden and a forested hill behind that.

Schonbrunn Palace

Much of the wildlife rather startles you by queuing up to mug you - particularly the Great Tits and Red Squirrels. Apologies for the lack of pictures of tits sitting on our hands being fed, but idiot boy here had the camera on 1/2000th (well, it was bright in the open) and forgot to change the settings in the woods.

It turns out that squirrels don't like garlic flavoured hard tack ;-)

The crows are an interesting mix of standard Carrion Crows and Hooded Crows - I wonder if they hybridise.

The woods were full of Nuthatches and, a lifer for me, a Middle Spotted Woodpecker - a very, very, elusive one.

Behind a structure called the Glorietta there is a small reservoir - with its own party of herons and a single cormorant..

Leaving Schonbrunn we headed to the Belvedere (Vienna has a great underground system) and in the middle of Karlsplatz a pair of enthusiastically mating Blackbirds caught my eye (taken with the little lens - didn't have time to change it).

I'm not quite sure what the sculpture below is, it looks like a human/owl hybrid...

The next day was spent in the centre of Vienna doing culture stuff so apart from the ever present Swifts, Hooded Crows and Pigeons it was a bit thin on wildlife - so here's a random mix of bird related sculpture and objets d'art. 

I have no idea what he's doing with that bird ;-)

On Sunday we took a hike down the Danube, heading towards the Donau-Auen National Park. OK, we underestimated the distance and the 33 degree heat, so didn't get quite that far. We did however discover some nice wetlands with a good range of insects (and a few birds). If anyone would like to have a crack at identifying these I would be most grateful ...

Why yes, the Danube is actually blue ;-) 

The reeds were full noisy but utterly invisible Reed Warblers but we did spot a nice, if distant, Red-backed Shrike, hordes of Blackcaps, Blue and Great Tits, Mallards, the odd heron and some of the world's loudest Blackbirds.

Here's the insect selection...

Mayfly

Marbled White

For our last full day we went hiking in the Lainzer Tiergarten - a huge old hunting park. This is a mixture of forest and pasture, with great views of the city and the first non-rainforest bird waves I've seen.

Our first bird wave was composed mainly of Nuthatches and Collared Flycatchers (which insisted on skulking in a dark bush) but with the added bonus of a Juvenile Greater Spotted Woodpecker (thanks for the correction TJ!)

The next one was an all together grander affair, with Nuthatches, Greater Spotted Woodpeckers, Collared and Spotted Flycatchers and a family of Song Thrushes.

Apart from the forest birds there were a pair of Buzzards, Kestrels and a single Hobby. A very smart Black Redstart sang from the chimney of one of the buildings in the park.

The mammal highlight was the Wild Boars, although quite frankly they didn't seem to want to do "wild" and completely ignored all the passers-by.

A great city with some good wildlife and a nice lifer in the form of the Middle Spotted Woodpecker. Oh, and our hotel had a Wurst stand on the corner across the road, for that essential beer and sausage refuelling...

"Let loose the Kraken!"

• Sorry your post got missed, Stuart. Everything gets pushed off the home page so quickly at this time of year.

Great report of your visit - a nice mixture of culture with a bit of wildlife thrown in. The scenery around the city looks very attractive and some nice sunny weather helps a lot.

I could be wrong (nothing new there) but the penultimate woodpecker shot looks more like a juvenile Great Spotted to me. With the Middle Spot the "moustache" doesn't extend to the base of the bill. Also, there appears to be a black rim to the red crown which the Middle Spot doesn't have. I hope I'm wrong, I don't want to spoil your lifer.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Fab report. I love all the bird statue pics. I am trying to ID the big dark butterfly and think it is female Lesser Purple Emperor - gorgeous creature. I agree with TJ about the woodpecker (sorry).

• Heh - you're quite right TJ and aiki - my bad ;-) I've changed the text to match.

No worries, the bird in Schonbrunn was much more likely a Middle Spotted, complete with streaky undersides, etc…

Try these photos - appalling as they are - my camera was still on 1/2000th - grrr.

"Let loose the Kraken!"

• Yes, that looks more like it. They make a hell of a racket if you heard them calling, quite unlike the GSW's "chip", "chip" ........ I'm really pleased for you.

If it's any consolation I got rubbish photos when I saw them in the Czech Republic in May. My excuse was that it was really dark and raining at the time. I'm almost too ashamed to show one but ......

....  and that's about the best of a bad job.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Not too bad! Taking pics in dark forests isn't easy - especially if you're up at the crack of dawn and it's raining (some of my Costa Rica shots are truly awful).

"Let loose the Kraken!"

• Hello Stuart,

it seems as if you had a wonderful time in vienna and enjoyed yourself.

How great that you've seen a middle woodpecker! That is something special.

The building with the Human-Owl-Hybrid is the TU, which stands for Technical University", where future engineers have their studies. This Hybrid is most probably inspired by the ancient greek Goddess Pallas Athena. She was the Goddess of Wisdom, and the Owl is sacred to her. My brother took his studies at TU Darmstadt, and Pallas Athena was there, too, an emblem on every letter, on the T-Shirts and jumpers and official writings, but not with an Owl's head but all in her armour.

Thank you very much for posting and sharing your birds and butterflies.

Kind regards, Bente

• Thanks Bente :-) I'm more used to see in Pallas Athene with the owl emblem on her shield but I really liked the hybrid! Mind you, the Little Owl is Athene noctua and that sculpture is hardly little!

"Let loose the Kraken!"

• Great tour and pictures Stuart, a nice variety of birds and other wildlife, pleased you got a lifer.

Terry

cheers  Terry

my photo's here

• Lovely set of photos Stuart. I agree with Lesser Purple Emporer & the one after is a closed Marbled White, I think the big moth is a large Yellow Underwing, but I can't say I know the little blue, a very pretty colour.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Hi Hazel, we're thinking about possibly Chalk- hill Blue. Ta for the moth ID, took a while for it to open its wings ;-)

"Let loose the Kraken!"