Costa Rica part 3 - Tinamous to Sandpipers

Here's some less colourful birds.

Great Tinamou

I was delighted to see this, one of the world's most primitive birds. It saw us and just gently wandered off without showing any hurry. In Corcovado National Park.

Great Currasow

There are this whole bunch of Turkey-sized birds in Costa Rica that like hanging around in trees.

Here's another one, a Crested Guan - same forest in Arenal National Park.

Now, here's a bird I've always wanted to see, the Grey-headed Chachalaca. Go on, say it, Boom Chachalaca Boom!

Now the one or two seabirds. We went on a boat trip to Cano Island to snorkel. Stupid idea, we couldn't see the island through the torrential rain. Eventually turning round the trip turned into a dolphin spotting one. Hmm, could have done with a wide-angle lens, not the 70-300mm zoom for that. However the dolphins (Spotted and Bottle-nosed) were a lot of fun.

There were a few Brown Boobies with them...

The Magnificent Frigate Birds were hanging around on the rocks looking as Prehistoric as ever.

The only ones in flight were a long way off - mostly around a trawler...

There were plenty of Brown Pelicans about, but none ever cam close...

By the way, I'm almost following the order in Richard Garrigues' book, Birds of Costa Rica, for those who are interested ;-)

Next, the herons.

Bare-throated Tiger-Heron

Great Blue Heron

White Ibis and Great Egret

Cattle Egrets

Snowy Egret and a back view of a Tricolored Heron. Snowy Egrets and our own Little Egret are incredibly similar...

That's enough of the heron family, there are still a few I've left to see, ah well, another excuse for a return trip.

Tarcoles Birdge is quite famous in Costa Rica for its resident population of crocodiles...

But looking down from the bridge we spotted quite a few birds, including this beautiful Purple Callinule.

and a Northern Jacana showing just how amazingly long its toes are.

Finally, let's end up with the waders, now, I'm reasonably sure of my sandpiper ID here, but if anyone's an expert, please let me know!

A Whimbrel who loved posing.

and from a different angle. At this range they don't look like Curlews at all. Note to UK ones, please come closer.

Apparently this is a Solitary Sandpiper - well it looks pretty alone

and this is a Spotted Sandpiper in non-breeding plumage.

A Ruddy Turnstone.

In the next series we'll pour on the colour again, starting with Pigeons and ending with Hummingbirds (probably).

"Let loose the Kraken!"