Costa Rica

We hate the cold, so every year we try and go somewhere warm in the middle of winter (mind you, coming back is depressing). These pics came from a Voyages Jules Verne trip. While not exclusively a wildlife trip, most days were spent looking for the stuff. We covered a few different habitats and had a brilliant guide.

Let's start on the Caribbean coast at Tortuguero. This is low and very swampy rainforest, cut by channels and only accessible by boat.

Bare-Throated Tiger Heron

Anhinga

Basalisk (or Jesus Christ Lizard, from it's ability to run across water)

Caiman

Common Black Hawk (possibly)

Great Kiskadee

Grey-Necked Wood-Rail

Little Blue Heron

Northern Jacana

Tree Snake

Tropical Kingbird

River Turtle

On the creek - William the guide is second left - with the bird book on the seat in front of him

Rustic, isn't it? Our hut at Evergreen Lodge, Tortuguero - woken up by Howler monkeys every morning.

From there we moved inland to stay at La Quinta de Sarapiqui - rather more luxurious huts. This is on the "wildlife corridor" between the two coasts and surrounded by pineapple plantations. While we went to La Selva Biological Station, we saw more wildlife around the hotel grounds. Here's some pics from both.

Blue-grey Tanager

As above - good feeding station, but the light was a bit poor.

Buff-thoated Saltator

Golden Orb-Weaver Spider

Strawberry Poison Dart Frog

Golden-Hooded Tanager

Green Honeycreeper

Keel-Billed Toucan

Masked Tityra at nest hole

Masked Tityra chick

Red-Legged Honeycreeper

Collared Peccary

Red-Throated Ant Tanager

Scarlet-Rumped Tanager

Chestnut Mandibled Toucan

Army Frog

Squirrels  - always on the bird feeders!

Next we drove via Arenal (great volcano, usually hidden in cloud and not erupting) to Monteverde, in among the cloud forest. We also had a night walk in Bosque Eterno de los Ninos - birdwatching at it's easiest! Masses of hummingbirds at feeders, Quetzel (brief glimpse) and a real hotel to stay in.

Bananaquit

Black Guan

Black-Thighed Grosbeak

Blue-Crowned Motmot

Coppery-Headed Emerald (please note that my hummingbird IDs are a bit dodgy in some cases)

Green-Crowned Brilliant

Green Violet-Ear

Magenta-Throated Woodstar

Tarantula

Violet Sabrewing

Orange-Bellied Trogon (fast asleep)

This ball of feathers is apparently an Emerald Toucanet

Purple-Throated Mountain-Gem (female)

Monteverde

Leaving the beautiful cloud forest, six of us took a four day extension to the Pacific Coast, staying near Manuel Antonio National Park. Most of the pictures come from the grounds of the Hotel Parador - mmm, luxury. One of the highlights was a black vulture playing dambusters over the swimmingpool, getting lower and lower with each pass.

Black Vultures

Green-Backed Heron

The hotel Iguana, wanting feeding.

Capuchin Monkeys

Ani (smooth or groove-billed) chicks

Howler Monkeys

Millipede

Pale-Billed Woodpecker

Racoon

Three (count 'em) Toed sloth

Turkey Vulture

Great holiday - great country, nice people and we only skimmed the surface of the wildlife. There are more than 800 species recorded.

Just to finish...

"Let loose the Kraken!"

• What a fantastic series of photos and a great report.......whatever can I say?  Just wonderful, all of it!  I especially love the Jesus Christ Lizard....you don't think it's so named because you go 'JESUS CHRIST!' when you see it?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Stuart, you have taken my breath away with such an excellent selection of photographs. Birds I can only dream of seeing. Thank you so much for showing them and having the patience to load them on here. Fantastic.

• Fascinating and interesting report with wonderful set of photos Stuart;    makes me want to pack my suitcase and head off West    LOL      ...........especially with this current UK weather !

Regards, Hazel