Kestrels in the Quarry 2013...

The pair showed up on 13th March & were checking out the nest - here's hoping..............

Have posted all I've taken today, unedited, as I'm so excited!!!  They both flew off & now Mr Kestrel has returned to nest & sitting, waiting like a spider in the middle of a web!  Just going to video him

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• On 28th August more good news from the quarry in the form of another visit  from Mr K who, unusually, perched himself in a tree opposite my bay windows & I was able to get these shots from my front step - much clearer position this time

And a little vid (as usual!!)

He is as handsome as ever - hope he's going to stick around & have another nest next year!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• 31st August - Fledging Day had arrived!!

I went to Tony's house for 10.15am with camera at ready & stood quietly with the others (man with the 35ft ladders & his wife & Tony's wife) whilst Tony opened the cage door - he held a defrosted day old chick in his gloved hand & offerred it to Baby George/ina who, at the first taste of freedom, hopped onto his glove, ignored the food, & soared away over the gate & across the farmer's field to 'goodness knows where!!'  Just reminded me of that newly fledged Dyfi Osprey - only hope that he returns tonight when he gets hungry.  Chick food has been left on the feeding platform of the newly constructed high outdoor perch & the cage door is tied open so he can roost inside if he chooses!

Scant pics of the event I'm afraid - it was all over so quickly

Not the best view...

About to open door...

Offering a chick...

And there he was.............gone!! ...

Am now waiting (quite anxiously) for news that he has returned home for food!  Also am scanning the quarry very often in case he makes his way here as his natal nest is quite near (as the Kestrel flies ha ha) to his new home!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Wendy, Wishing you good luck with Mr. Kestrel and congratulations on the successful release of young Geo. Kestrel.  It is so hard to let a wild creature go, especially when you have spent so much time and energy worrying about and working for their health and welfare, but Bob is right--you have done your best for him/her!  Hope he/she returns for a snack and a visit in a day or two!

Kind regards, Ann

• Wow!  Fantastic pictures, Wendy.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Beautiful photos and vid.clip Wendy, lovely to see handsome Mr. K. and I hope he does stay around next year and you get to see a new nest :)   I'm busy catching up with your Kestrel thread and glad to hear George is also doing well and now returned to the wild;  bet you had a tear in your eye, but with mixed emotions !   Good luck little George and don't forget to visit aunt Wendy :)  

Regards, Hazel 

• Indeed,a handsome chap....Takes after his honourary godfather :-) Well done,Wendy.Nobody could have done more in what I imagine has been quite a rollercoaster ride for you.Well done.Bravo,Bravissimo.

• You must have very mixed feelings Wendy, but to see him so eager to be released is a joy. Congratulations to yourself and Tony.

• Very mixed feelings indeed BH as there has been no sign of him since & I fear the worst!

Thank you all for your interest in this thread & hope there may yet be positive news to report!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Wow Wendy, just caught up, can imagine your mixed feelings, wonderful photos :-)

• WendyB wonderful to see George has fledged and I can really understand your mixed feelings.  Fingers and legs crossed for good news and positive thoughts, positive thoughts :-)