Beautiful Butterflies 2019

3 days of sunshine & Butterflies galore. Well, not really but we did see 3 Brimstones a Red Admiral & a Peacock. I did get a shot of the Brimstone flying, but I think trying to photograph Butterflies in flight is one of the first signs of madness. Anyway, it's high time I started this thread.

This is the link to last years thread https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196195/beautiful-butterflies-2018/1219455#1219455

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• A Large Skipper

And against the light to show off those wing markings which are normally difficult to see. It's striking how dark the scent glands go

One of the commoner butterflies but perhaps not one of the easiest to get close to, so I was quite pleased to get this Meadow Brown.

Nige   Flickr

• Unknown said:
    Yep, excellent photos of the E. Skipper. I think I'd mistake them for Small Skippers (especially females without scent glands) but luckily(???) they don't come this far north.

Thanks Nigel. The main difference is the the very end face of the antennae that are black on the Essex Skipper & Orange on the Small Skipper, like this one,

Although this one can also be id by it's scent gland, but useful for females.

Great photos by everyone, I haven't been out much lately as we had a mini heat wave, but it's going now, thank goodness!

Best wishes

• Hazel C said:
    I haven't been out much lately as we had a mini heat wave

I was wondering how you were surviving, Hazel. I guess being in the west you may have escaped the worst of it. We are expecting a brief blast of it tomorrow but nothing like the rest of Europe has been experiencing. Then it's back to normal.

Gorgeous photos of the Skipper , Nigel.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hazel C said:
    I haven't been out much lately as we had a mini heat wave

I was wondering how you were surviving, Hazel. I guess being in the west you may have escaped the worst of it. We are expecting a brief blast of it tomorrow but nothing like the rest of Europe has been experiencing. Then it's back to normal.

Gorgeous photos of the Skipper , Nigel.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Nice selection of butterflies, Terry. Not sure what your blue one is. It's almost like a Holly Blue but the absence of any white or black fringing is a puzzle. Maybe Noisette can offer an ID.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I thought Terrys first butterfly, the blue, was a Common blue. His white may be a Small White, but it's a bit faded! The skipper is a Large one!

We went up to 38,5 according to our records but the hot nights were very tricky, about 30°C at bedtime!

Best wishes

• turboman said:

Not Sure

This is the one I was referring to. It looks blue on my screen. LOL

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Yes,that's the one I couldn't really decide, but thought Small White.

Should have put your sunglasses on! LOL

Best wishes

• I should have gone to screensavers. LOL.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Unusual to get one open, looks like it was drying the dew off its wings. Nice photos Alan.

Best wishes