Minsmere in Mid October Part Two.

As I said at the end of Part One (link below) I wandered around to Island Mere and as I walked into the hide people were looking out of the righthand window and looking down at a Water Rail wandering through the reed stems right along side the hide. First one I've seen for a while.

community.rspb.org.uk/.../minsmere-in-mid-october-part-one

Then looking back into the reed beds some Bearded Tits popped up, unfortunately not as close as earlier.

After that distraction the Water Rail popped out for a while again.

In the channel leading up to the hide from the Mere a Little Grebe was diving and feeding.

Later when I looked at my photos it appeared to see a hole in the water and put it's head down it.

Cropped close up.

A Great Egret finally stopped playing statues and took off.

Something I've not seen before, a Bittern swimming.

Most of the time Bitterns were popping up fairly regularly but some way off, but this one felt we could have a closer look.

But not for long, it soon crouched down and launched itself into the air.

On this visit I saw more flying Bitterns than I've ever seen before, but mostly at a distance.

Finally one gave us a relatively close fly past to finish the day off on a high for me.

So ended one of my best days at Minsmere, and just lately most visits feel like that, and as before I met many friendly people, some local and some holidaying from afar, all making for a great day out.

Best Wishes,

Trevor

• Cor, Trevor, you've got some stunning shots in there. Love the close-up water rail!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Wow that Bittern standing is spectacular Trevor...your camera is on my list to santa ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Hi Linda,
    Does that mean I've got to be on the lookout for Santa relieving me of my camera to fulfill your Christmas wishes.Astonished
    Trevor
  • It's all your fault Trevor for showing off your fabulous photos lol....well hubby is now finally into birding and he's been using a Canon powershot sx50 which was fine but then when we get home from our days out he ain't happy with the quality compared to mine (Am using Nikon P950) then I happened to show him pic of the Bittern and some previous pics WOW he said lol....and after reading what you use in the mirrorless thread I passed the info onto him...so now seems he's taking my camera and am getting your lol

• Good luck with a Lumix G9, assuming that's what you end up with. OM Systems, formally Olympus, do make good alternatives with more advanced focussing capabilities for birds in flight, but at a price. If you can, try and handle one before you commit, but you will get get good results with either.
    Good luck,
    Trevor
  • Many thanks Trevor..I shall pass that on to hubby...yes he suggested we try find a camera shop...but they do seem rather scarce up here!

• Wonderful photos, Trevor--thanks for posting. It is lovely to see that Minsmere's Water Rails have been taking on (or at least one of them has!) the habit of Minsmere's Bitterns, who, as you may know, have a reputation for not reading the manual or the textbooks, and as a result, they do not know they are supposed to be secretive and elusive!

Kind regards, Ann

• Catching up on the last day of Oct., just in time to see your Bitterns and Water Rails Trevor - really fabulous ending to your Minsmere travels. Of course the Little Grebe is the best!!!!

Lot to learn