• I'm ducking out!

At Loch Garten we have had a long term love affair with the goldeneye ducks. We don’t usually talk about our love life at work... but I think we can make an exception, just this once. First of all, let’s learn a little about their life history. Goldeneyes are a medium sized diving duck who eat mussels, insect larvae, small fish and plants.

Some goldeneyes summer in the Highlands of Scotland for breeding …

• Recent sightings from Blair...

Hi bloggers, here's a follow up from Chris's blog last week and a final word from myself. Just like EJ, I will be migrating south early this year, but it won't be to Western Africa for me. I have recently had a job offer from the Derbyshire Wildlife Trust, and will be moving there before the end of the season. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for ospreys on their migration as I settle in to my new home!…

• Here is the news...

Good afternoon.

Here is the latest osprey news from Loch Garten.

Thank you and goodbye.

All quiet on the nest-ern front...

Yes, things have gone very quiet on the osprey front over the last few days (is it possible to get quieter than NO ospreys?). Well, even the new kids on the block, CT6 and her unringed male, haven't been spotted since early this week, suggesting they may have headed south for the winter. Now…

• My week at Loch Garten

Hello all,

As a guest blogger, I will firstly introduce myself - I am Colin Miller, one of the Central Highland Reserves interns normally based at the North Scotland Regional Office in Inverness.

I began my internship with RSPB four months ago and over that time I have had plenty of incredible experiences, such as wading around the sedge beds of Loch Ruthven in search of Slavonian grebe, or more recently I was able…

• Word from the nest: CT6, a profile

Hi bloggers! Just a quick blog to keep you all updated!

Since Fergus wrote a few days back to let you know we suspect EJ has started her migration to wintering grounds early this season, we still haven't caught a glimpse of our favourite feathered friend! She was last seen on Friday 14 of July, so she'll have herself a nice long winter sunning it up in warmer climes, leaving us tentatively waiting for her return. So…

• Why should you volunteer at Loch Garten

Hello again bloggers,

I hope you are all doing well! It’s the summer holidays now... so I’ve got my fingers cross that the weather is going to stay sunny and the wind is going to keep the midges away... doubt it!

(Gillian, in the forward hide, looking for EJ) 

Anyways this week I have decided to convince any of you bloggers that haven’t already volunteered at Loch Garten, to come along next year and…

• "A Blog" by Fergus Cumberland

Sun bathes the path up to the centre. Wind whistles through the trees. The flowers of heather have started to show their faces to the glow of the day and the cuckoos have all but spat the last of the froghoppers into the forest undergrowth.

Froghopper nymph in its protective froth...not cuckoo spit!

It has been a very interesting season indeed. We have now established that there is a good chance EJ has left for migration…

• Morning Report

Good morning all,

Another quick update from the Loch Garten nest for you. Activity has been regular over the past week or so, with EJ still attracting attention from a couple of curious males! The unringed bird who has spent time on the nest with EJ (even attempting to mate at one point!) continues to come and go fairly regularly and appears to be winning EJ's favour. Admittedly this is difficult to tell as EJ does tend…

• Nest News

Good afternoon from Loch Garten,

Hope everyone is well on this fine (if a bit midgey) Thursday. I thought you might like a quick update on the recent goings-on at the LG osprey nest, so here goes! EJ has been maintaining a steady presence on and around the nest. Often we arrive for work and she is perched not far from the nest eating a nice big fish and we have had regular reports from people who have been lucky enough…

• Just an idea...

Dear EJ,

Thank you for registering with "Catch of the Day", the UK's number one osprey dating service. The profile you recently submitted has been combined with the personal preferences you indicated and cross-referenced against our extensive database of single males. I am pleased to tell you that so far we have found 3 matches for you to cast your eagle-like eye over. If any of the three "tickle your talons…

• Good times!

A treat for you today, fellow bloggites - a special, guest blog from our very own Communications and Conservation Project Officer, Stuart Benn. Enjoy!

I was watching Glastonbury the other day - what an amazing line-up of bands and types of music each drawing their own crowds having a great time.  For me, there was plenty there that I knew I’d like but there were some new finds too (amongst which were Warpaint’s dream…

• Beauty and the Beetle...

Hi bloggers! Hope you are all well? 

The last time I wrote something for you, I highlighted a few of the lovely pine forest plants that we have in bloom. This week I am going to attempt to identify some of the interesting insects that have been popping up. Entomology (the study of insects) has never been my strong point however, with so many to choose from I find it hard to pin point exactly what I am seeing. But, the…

• Go nuts for my latest blog

I woke up the other day aware that I had to write a blog for you guys, but for the life of me I couldn’t think of something to write about. Then I set foot inside my living room and just like fate, there it was... the idea for my latest blog.

The best way to start a morning, waking up with a red outside your window, by Blair Johnston

Red squirrels have been native to the UK for over 10,000 years. They thrived…

• Rain, rain, go away...

Good afternoon nature lovers,

Time for a quick LG update, methinks. After intermittent showers yesterday, it seems the rain has well and truly settled in for the long haul. EJ has been in view this morning, looking decidedly miserable, it must be said. Whether  this was due to the wet conditions or the presence of a particularly bold crow, perched just inches away from her, we can't be sure. Anthropomorphism it may be…

• Botanical beauties!

My first memories of becoming fascinated with nature involve sitting in my kitchen with my Father's bird book trying to decide which feathered friends were visiting our feeders. Whilst my love of birds and their intriguing world still remain my main passion, in most recent years I have become increasingly interested in the world beneath our feet. Summer time brings us such a burst of colour, with wild flower carpets making…

• L.G. (Latest Gossip)

Hello everyone,

Apologies for the long gap between blogs - we've been trying to keep you all updated via social media, especially in terms of any osprey sightings on or around the nest, but I know that many of you like to read the latest news on these pages. We'll try to be more regular in future.

In terms of the ospreys, the situation remains much the same. We've still seen no sign of Odin, missing since the…

• All Quiet

Good afternoon all,

Just a quick update from me as I know many of you are following events at the nest closely. Today has been very quiet in terms of osprey related activity. Still no sign of Odin who has now been absent for 5 days (a small part of me is clinging on to the faintest hope that he may yet reappear). EJ has been visible (on the camera, at least) for the morning, perched mainly on a small tree to the rear…

• A brief update

This is just a short post to keep you updated. Apologies that it cannot be longer, but the centre and media have been taking up all of our time.

As many of you will now know, I'm sorry to have to tell you that EJ and Odin's third chick passed away in the night. To be honest, she/he lasted longer than I expected, having had no fish at all. Obviously, Odin is still absent and there are still intruding ospreys hanging around…

• A heavy heart

First off, circumstances are that this is inevitably a long blog. I hope you’ll stick with us and read through to the end.

We are all acutely aware here at Loch Garten, that feelings are running high concerning EJ and her (now three) chicks. We wouldn’t be human if they weren’t. Odin’s disappearance on Thursday has caused all sorts of heart-wrenching issues and we do understand the strength and depth of the reaction…

• A holding blog...

Hello,

This is purely a quick note to let you know that a new blog is being written, explaining the current situation and our decision not to intervene. This is a complex issue and we realise people have many concerns, so we want to attempt to address them fully - this is going to take time to write. At the moment I am taking a lot of calls form concerned members of the public and this means the blog is taking even longer…

• Worrying times

Hello everyone,

After a very promising start to our season here at Loch Garten - both EJ and Odin safely back, three eggs laid and two chicks hatched - events have taken a turn for the worse. Odin, normally a fantastically devoted provider for his family, hasn't been seen since lunchtime yesterday, leaving two hungry chicks on the nest along with a worried looking EJ. Odin had chased an intruder yesterday morning and…

• Chicks are like buses...

Hello Bloggers,

We are all very excited to announce that two chicks have hatched over the past two days! The first one hatched between 7-7.30 pm on Tuesday night and the second hatched around 6.30 am this morning (Thursday 18th). Talons crossed that we will get a third chick in the next few days.

EJ feeding her two bairns

Odin has upped his daily fishing quota already from one fish a day to three in order to feed…

• Wood ant you like to know?

Hello Bloggers!

I am sure that everyone reading this blog will agree with me when I say that EJ and Odin’s nest is a very impressive work of art. It’s a whopping 5.5ft wide and 6ft tall. That being said, I am sure that they wouldn’t mind me drawing your attention to a different type of nest this week. These nests have been drawing my attention in the past month or so, as the warm weather has been bringing them to life…

• Wherever I lay my eggs (that's my home)

Hello everyone.

Phew, what a scorcher! The incredible weather continues here at Loch Garten with clear blue skies and a warm sun making the waters of the loch sparkle and the colours of the forest appear more vibrant than ever.

Loch Garten in the sun

EJ, still furiously incubating her eggs, must be wondering what is going on. Not long ago she was almost buried in snow and now she's sat in temperatures that must…

• Volegate

Good morning!

All is relatively quiet on the osprey front at Loch Garten. EJ is busy incubating and Odin is bringing in approximately one fish a day, usually just before the centre opens or after we close. Typical! EJ appears to have started her moult and can regularly be seen perched near the nest scratching and picking at her feathers with her beak. Once finished she tends to give a little shake (like a dog, fresh…